Calibrating and profiling a TN panel, 72% NTSC

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating and profiling a TN panel, 72% NTSC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

asafiko
    Participant

hello florian.is there a point on calibrating and profiling a TN panel 8 bit (6 bit+dithering),72% NTSC covrege.

if there is,can i calibrate and profile my monitor and make a 3D LUT out of the profile but with diffrent settings\target.i want the .icc profile to be sRGB\6500k\2.2 gamma and  the LUT generated from the same profile to be rec.709\tone curve: rec.1886 gamma 2.4 absolute.(do i need to check apply calibration (vcgt)?

i want to use the LUT for resolve 3D color viewer lookup table.

thank you.appreciate your work.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

hello florian.is there a point on calibrating and profiling a TN panel 8 bit (6 bit+dithering),72% NTSC covrege.

TN panels usually have pretty bad gray balance out of the box, so calibration definitely has a benefit.

can i calibrate and profile my monitor and make a 3D LUT out of the profile but with diffrent settings\target

Yes.

do i need to check apply calibration (vcgt)? […] i want to use the LUT for resolve 3D color viewer

In your specific case, uncheck “apply calibration (vcgt)” as you are going to install the profile and use the 3D LUT on the same monitor.

asafiko
    Participant

Hello florian.
    I have created an sRGB 2.2 gamma profile for my monitor.measurment report is good.after that i’ve created a 3D lut out of the existing profile for resolve’s color viewer.the settings are rec.709 gamma 2.4.when used in resolve why i cant see change when applying the lut?
    I understand that a change should appear because the change in gamma? (My monitor and profile are set to sRGB 2.2)

Florian Höch
    Administrator

when used in resolve why i cant see change when applying the lut?

If you had enabled Resolve color management (using the ICC profile), then the difference between 3D LUT and ICC color management may be very small.

asafiko
    Participant

hi florian.i applied the LUT to the color viewer.my icc profile is sRGB 2.2 and the LUT ive created using the same profile is rec.709 2.4.my monitor is set to gamma 2.2.when lut applied in resolve color viewer will it change the gamma to 2.4?! i understand that srgb and rec.709 share the same primeries and white point so in terms of color space i should not see a diffrence.but what about gamma?(or i will see a change only if i set my monitor to gamma 2.4 while working in resolve?)

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Disable ICC color management in Resolve. Now, when you disable the 3D LUT, you should see a difference.

asafiko
    Participant

Thank you for your answers florian :).
    Im working only with davinci resolve yRGB color science.im not working with RCM (resolve color managment)at all.so what could be wrong?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Are you on Windows or macOS? Under macOS there should be a checkbox “Use display profile” or something along those lines.

asafiko
    Participant

Im on pc windows 10 pro.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Are you sure you have the 3D LUT in the correct slot and are on the “color” tab in Resolve?

asafiko
    Participant

yes

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

asafiko
    Participant

and here is my measurment report:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Well, maybe there really is just not much change between sRGB and the calibrated response.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Your measurement report shows gamma ~2.8 though.

asafiko
    Participant

i got 5 gamma settings on my monitor.i did check uncalibrated device and found that setting number 3  is 2.25 gamma.so i chose this setting before calibrating and profiling.how come it drifted so much?

and does it explain why i dont see change when applying the LUT in resolve?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS