Calibrating and profiling a TN panel, 72% NTSC

Home Forums Help and Support Calibrating and profiling a TN panel, 72% NTSC

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Florian Höch
    Administrator

i got 5 gamma settings on my monitor.i did check uncalibrated device and found that setting number 3 is 2.25 gamma.so i chose this setting before calibrating and profiling.

That sounds reasonable.

how come it drifted so much?

That’s not drift. Despite the profile name, you didn’t calibrate to sRGB gamma. Did you use ambient adjustment by any chance?

and does it explain why i dont see change when applying the LUT in resolve?

Maybe. If you have Photoshop, check whether you see a change with the LUT there.

asafiko
    Participant

Yes i did use ambient adjusment.my ambient room light levels are set to 5 nits.
    How to dobitbin ps? Just add the lut as a layer?
    I know that ps uses the .icc profile that iv created.

asafiko
    Participant

So the darker the room ambient light levels the higher the gamma?in this case?

asafiko
    Participant

i applied the 3d lut (srgb 2.4) as color lookup adjustment layer in ps and there a change.everything is washed out.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yes i did use ambient adjusment.my ambient room light levels are set to 5 nits.

Generally I’d advise against using calibration ambient adjustment because it only affects non-color-managed stuff, which isn’t all that useful.

How to dobitbin ps? Just add the lut as a layer?

LUT adjustment layer, select the *.cube file. Afterwards, enable soft proof with the display profile and “preserve RGB numbers” (to disable color management so only the LUT layer influences the output).

asafiko
    Participant

i can see a change.colors are way off but theres a change.so the lut is working right?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

i can see a change.colors are way off

No, this is the same result you should be getting in Resolve.

theres a change.so the lut is working right?

Yes.

asafiko
    Participant

do you recommend me to do a new profile\and lut for resolve but this time not using the ambient light measure?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Probably, but that’s unlikely to solve why Resolve won’t use the current LUT. I guess it’s a Resolve problem. Have you tried setting the LUT under 3D Video Monitor Lookup Table and then set color viewer LUT to use that (and be sure to set scopes LUTs to none then).

asafiko
    Participant

on 3d video monitor lookup table its working (makes it a bit bighter?!) and on  3d color viewer if i aplly the lut or not there is no change

asafiko
    Participant

maybe its a bug in resolve? im using resolve 16 studio beta 4

asafiko
    Participant

and the change is happening only in the viewer.no change at the scopes level.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

maybe its a bug in resolve?

Looks like it.

no change at the scopes level.

Good.

asafiko
    Participant

to be continued……:)

thanks for your help

asafiko
    Participant

hi florian.

Ive created a new profile sRGB 2.2 120 nits.no ambient light measurment like you recommended.after that created a 3d lut out of the same profile rec.709 2.4 for resolve color viewer.my monitor (shity TN) is at gamma 2.2 and my ambient light levels are 12 nits using high CRI (95) light bulb calibrated to 6500k.the profile is loaded by dispcal every thing runing good (attaching my measurment report please tell if anything there could cause the ‘problem’).the profile seem to handle the colors good for my eyes but the blucks look washed out comparing to previous profile discussed on this thread.is it got something to do with my surround ambient light (12 nits) more suitable for viewing\grading rec.709 and my target was sRGB 2.2 that needs different light conditions to view\edit hence the diffrent in blacks.please help me.

thank you

asaf

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS