BT 2020 3D LUT for madVR Help

Home Forums Help and Support BT 2020 3D LUT for madVR Help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Max05
    Participant

Hi, I’m having trouble making 3D Luts to use with madVR with my LG C2 OLED.
    What I want to achieve is two 3D Luts, one for SDR (Rec.709) and one for HDR (BT.2020).

What I did was used the “Video 3D Lut for madVR (D65, Rec 709)” option in DisplayCal and I got a lut generated that I was able to
    put into the Rec.709 field in the Calibration Tab of madVR.

Then, i did the same but chose the “Video 3D Lut for madVR HDR (D65, Rec 2020)” option and got another lut.

The problem is that I am not able to put into the BT 2020 field in madvr…
    I get: “This 3DLUT file does not match the input/output format required by MadVR”.

For some clarification, I do not want madvr to do any tone mapping. I just want a 3D Lut that would give me accurate colors when viewing
    HDR content.
    Furthermore, the TV auto detects the color gamut. That means that I am not able to make a BT 2020 lut in SDR because it’s limited to only Rec 709 colors.

Could anybody advise me on what I should do?

Old Man
    Participant

Did you ever figure this out?

Vincent
    Participant

For some clarification, I do not want madvr to do any tone mapping. I just want a 3D Lut that would give me accurate colors when viewing
    HDR content.
    Furthermore, the TV auto detects the color gamut. That means that I am not able to make a BT 2020 lut in SDR because it’s limited to only Rec 709 colors.

Could anybody advise me on what I should do?

You should change the OSD/preset in TV to HDR /REC2020 in before attempting to profile.

Then in LUT3D creator you set

if you had a widegamut display which is actually SDR so you will let madVR do the tone mapping: choose as source rec2020 g2.2

or (your situation)

if you had a display that has HDR mode or an SDR widegamut where you want full LUT3D correction on LUT3D , source rec2020 and choose one of the SMPTE 2084 TRC, then choose the proper option in 2nd combo in LUT3D format.

Old Man
    Participant

How do you get it to work in madvr though?

Vincent
    Participant

if you had a display that has HDR mode or an SDR widegamut where you want full LUT3D correction on LUT3D , source rec2020 and choose one of the SMPTE 2084 TRC, then choose the proper option in 2nd combo in LUT3D format.

And you have to set it in madVR LUT3D slot for rec2020 HDR, not in rec2020 sdr slot.

Old Man
    Participant

I’ve tried that and it still tries to map it to SDR and it looks terrible

Vincent
    Participant

I’ve tried that and it still tries to map it to SDR and it looks terrible

Post an screnshot of LUT3D creation and madVR config, there must be some configuration issue

Old Man
    Participant

I might be able to do that later today. Have you tried it? I don’t think it’s misconfigured

Vincent
    Participant

I cannot enable HDR in Windows bc HW does not support it, but I can make a LUT3D that does full processing to HDR instead of making a Rec2020 g2.2 and let madVR do the HDR (rec2020 PQ) to SDR (rec2020 g2.2) map

This is why madVR refuses the file format. It must be “HDR in” but can be SDR out or HDR out depeding on 2nd combo.

BTW I had to configure back DisplayCAL with  Argyll 2.3.1 to create LUT3D right now because 3.0+DisplayCAL produces error about “N colorant” seen in other threads. Maybe something changed in “collink.exe”…

Old Man
    Participant

I am using an HDR to HDR 3DLUT, as shown

madVR isn’t refusing the file format. It’s accepting it, but treating it as an HDR to SDR 3DLUT with terrible results

I wasn’t aware of Argyll 3. I’m using 2.3.1

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

I understand now what you were trying to say. Yes, it seems properly configured. Try to open manuallt madVR test pattrn generator and enable manually HDR. Does it refuse? Maybe the issue it’s on OS configuration an HDR display.

Old Man
    Participant

madTPG works fine. It’s how I profiled my TV in HDR

Vincent
    Participant

Did you tried to verify if that XYZLUT profile running on top of display internal “rec202o in  to native gamut out” mode actually matches display? It can be another source of error. Also running  a verification with LUT3D applied may point to the error.

Old Man
    Participant

Yes. It’s an excellent match. Average < .5 and max < 3. Later today, I’ll run verifications with 3DLUT applied and post the results

Old Man
    Participant

The results seem to support my hypothesis that madVR is treating my HDR to HDR 3DLUT as an HDR to SDR 3DLUT

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS