BT 2020 3D LUT for madVR Help

Home Forums Help and Support BT 2020 3D LUT for madVR Help

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Vincent
    Participant

In madVR TPG in HDR button there is a combo. Which colorspace is in it? By default it should be Rec2020 1000

Also turn off LUT3D in madVR. Test behavior. Does it render +/- properly in gamut colors? Maybe windows is applying its desktop remaping to SDR bc it does not identify that app as HDR.

If it is working properly with LUT3D off and you created LUT3D as part of calibration + profiling the log file should contain collink params. Send the to ArgyllCMS maillist + ti files.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Vincent.

Old Man
    Participant

madVR 0.92.16 works, but it has unresolved bugs (like making everything red). Later versions do not work. I don’t think it has anything to do with my settings

Vincent
    Participant

madVR 0.92.16 works, but it has unresolved bugs (like making everything red). Later versions do not work. I don’t think it has anything to do with my settings

But you have tested like the one you did above? (just LUT3D OFF and rely on Rec2020 PQ -> panel embebed in TVs processor)

Old Man
    Participant

I don’t understand your question. I’ve tested it in 0.92.16 and it works (except everything is red). 0.92.17 release doesn’t work. Beta doesn’t work

Vincent
    Participant

I’ll rewrite it, “does 0.92.16 (the one that is working) track ***when measured*** ( LUT3D OFF, macVR HDR to SDR mapping OFF, passthrough to display so display processes the remap Rec202o PQ to native gamut ) more or less accurately  both PQ and the patches inside P3?”

Old Man
    Participant

How could it without the 3DLUT? I have my TV calibrated intentionally bad because it profiles better this way

Max05
    Participant

Hello there!

I recently came across this post again and wanted to seek some help.

I ended up not calibrating HDR before as I believed I was doing something wrong and found it easier to use my TV’s calibration settings.

However, I now feel like calibrating my TV again.
    Here’s my current setup: I mainly watch movies through madvr, so I don’t think I need expensive AutoCal software for setting up an internal 3dlut. Currently, my TV’s color gamut is set to “Auto-detect,” which switches between BT 709 and 2020 based on whether I have HDR enabled or disabled in Windows. In madvr, I have a 3dlut set in the BT 709 box, which helps calibrate the colors. I tested my lut with displaycal using dwm_lut, and with the lut enabled, I achieved better delta scores.

Now, I’m considering calibrating BT 2020. Can someone provide instructions on how to proceed with this? It’s been a while since I attempted this, so I don’t remember all the steps. Just to clarify, I don’t need madvr to do any tone mapping (when a movie has brighter highlights that surpass my TV’s capabilities). I simply want a BT 2020 lut that corrects colors when watching HDR movies with both windows and the TV set to HDR mode. I’ll let the TV handle the tone mapping. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Max05
    Participant

I do not quite understand this. Are you trying to say I should calibrate the TV with a BT 2020 gamut but while in SDR? How will that apply to HDR content?

Vincent
    Participant

How could it without the 3DLUT? I have my TV calibrated intentionally bad because it profiles better this way

I mean switch to some OSD preset for HDR with its built in mapping from rec2020PQ input to panel native.
    Use madVR without LUT3D, passthrough to display. Use Displaycal or HCFR and do a basic check in not very saturated colors.
    No matter how bad that mode is from factory it should track rec2020 PQ to some extent.
    Test that. If that is working there is no missconfiguration just some bug in LUT3D creation that you’ll have to deal with, like providing ti files to argyllcms maillist.
    If that test fails and does not even track PQ in greyscale but some weird behavior like your LUT3D test , then there is a missconfiguration in your setup or madVR is not behaving as expected. => TV’s HDR mode should track the simulated colorspace to some extent when fed rec2020 pq data, at least for in gamut colors.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Vincent.

Max05
    Participant

As a side question, I have been using a premade spectral correction for LG C2. Now, after a year, it could have shifted possibly. Is there any point in recalibrating it with the same correction? I can’t make my own correction, the hardware is way to expensive and I can’t rent it anywhere.

Vincent
    Participant

Hello there!

I ended up not calibrating HDR before as I believed I was doing something wrong and found it easier to use my TV’s calibration settings.

Here’s my current setup: I mainly watch movies through madvr, so I don’t think I need expensive AutoCal software for setting up an internal 3dlut. Currently, my TV’s color gamut is set to “Auto-detect,” which switches between BT 709 and 2020 based on whether I have HDR enabled or disabled in Windows. In madvr, I have a 3dlut set in the BT 709 box, which helps calibrate the colors. I tested my lut with displaycal using dwm_lut, and with the lut enabled, I achieved better delta scores.

DWMLUT and madVR use different formats.

I’ll let the TV handle the tone mapping. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

There is no way to do that unless you has some propietary HW cal nad do not use madVR LUT3D at all.

If you profile HDR mode (capture its behavior with whatever trick it does for OOG colors) and then create a LUT3D for HDR input to HDR output, that LUT3D creation will have to decide what to do with OOG, brightness limits and such… hence it is doing an additional tone mapping layer trying to correct TVs HDR mode behavior.

Max05
    Participant

Hello there!

DWMLUT and madVR use different formats.

I’ll let the TV handle the tone mapping. Thanks in advance for any assistance!

There is no way to do that unless you has some propietary HW cal nad do not use madVR LUT3D at all.

If you profile HDR mode (capture its behavior with whatever trick it does for OOG colors) and then create a LUT3D for HDR input to HDR output, that LUT3D creation will have to decide what to do with OOG, brightness limits and such… hence it is doing an additional tone mapping layer trying to correct TVs HDR mode behavior.

I did use DWM_LUT but I had created a different LUT file (.cube). I then tested that and visually compared that one to the madvr one, and they looked the same. That’s how I was certain my calibration was fine.

I’m sorry, but could you explain what OOG and HW is? This is out of my knowledge. 🙂

Old Man
    Participant

This is what I’m trying to figure out myself

Old Man
    Participant

That is working. There’s not a bug in 3DLUT creation because it works in 0.92.16…unless newer versions of madVR are expecting something different.

OOG = Out Of Gamut

HW = HardWare

Vincent
    Participant

That is working. There’s not a bug in 3DLUT creation because it works in 0.92.16…unless newer versions of madVR are expecting something different.

Can DWMLUT HDR run on top of a windowed player using madVR HDR?
    Then you may try creating a .cube format LUT3D (HDR) , use DWMLUT and configure madVR with passthrough HDR. IDNK if this work but if madVR (windowed, HDR mode win ON) outputs uncorrected HDR then DWNLUT HDR LUT3D should apply.
    I mean, you’ll need to test if the bug / wromh behavior you see is in LUT3D or in madVR applying an HDDR to HDR LUT3D.
    If it is in LUT3D, send ti files and ICM to argyllcms so they can check if it is a bug.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS