Asus PA329C experiences

Home Forums General Discussion Asus PA329C experiences

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Martinees
    Participant

Dithering is the key. Banding is not dependent on cube resolution (usually 17^3 in HW). Banding happens when you translate a 16bit correction to a 8 or even 10bit channel => truncation. This happens even if you had 256^3 or 1024^3 cube lut. Dithering eliminates that issue. Dither can be software (like MadVR) or HW like AMD dither for 1DLUT in GPU calibration or inside monitor. IDNK if Resolve uses software dither on LUT3D, ask them.

Cube resolution (nodes) gives you a limit about if some errors can or cannot be corrected …because they are no measured… and they need to me measured. 17^3 cube is about 5000 patches read. If there is an issue between one node RGB value and neighbour but not in nodes it may go unnoticed. But that is not related to banding at all.

Now I understand. Thanks for great explanation. I am curious, so I will try to ask Blackmagic if Resolve uses some kind of dithering (especially if a Declink card is used).  BTW what type of dithering would you use for GPU 1DLUT in general? Or is this something that needs to be elaborated for every specific combination of display and GPU?

Vincent
    Participant

Just temporal dither. Vary least significant bit/channel in a period of time that averaged results in corrected value.

Vilper inv
    Participant

So, I bought Asus PA329C monitor for video editing and to watch movies as well.
    It is generally a good monitor, but I found these issues:
    1- The green is dominant, even after windows calibration I feel the green tint is still all over the place (see the picture)
    2- HDR mode is even greener, MUCH greener, and when it is on that mode, you can’t control much else, it is like a package that you’ve to take it or leave it, so I left it (also because it gets VERY hot)
    3- During the first weeks after buying it, I had three incidents where the monitor will freeze with a random color showing up (e.g. specific shades of red or green or blue). That stopped happening for several months now, but it still worries me.

Also while I am setting it, I encountered some tough decisions for me, and I hope ya’ll could help:

1- which color space to choose?…9 modes (Standard Mode / sRGB Mode / Adobe RGB Mode / DCI-P3 Mode / DICOM Mode / Rec.709 Mode / HDR_PQ Rec2020 / User Mode1 / User Mode2)
    for
    A- video editing (I am currently using DCI-P3)
    B- watching movies (I am currently using DCI-P3)
    C- graphic design (I am using currently Adobe RGB Mode)

2- Which PQ mode? I didn’t exactly get their explanation.
    PQ Basic: Presents HDR performance of general HDR supported
    displays.
    * PQ Optimized: Delivers the optimized HDR performance of this
    display.
    * PQ 600: Preserves PQ curve till displaying maximum luminance
    with accuracy. Any luminance higher than display maximum will
    be mapped to display maximum.
    Again for
    A- video editing
    B- watching movies
    C- graphic design

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

So, I bought Asus PA329C monitor for video editing and to watch movies as well.

Jumped inthe wrong boat, CG219X/PA311D or forget having a good widegamut AdobeRGB+P3 and 32″ UHD.

It is generally a good monitor, but I found these issues:
    1- The green is dominant, even after windows calibration I feel the green tint is still all over the place (see the picture)

Wrong colorimeter correction, low resoluction spectrophotometer or observer metameric failure. We do not know your details.

If you do now own or have access to some reliable measurement device you shoudl have not bought a widegamut. Xrite i1DisplayPro should be your 1st choice (vs i1DisplayStudio… just if some day Asus get their HW calibration software to work as intended)

2- HDR mode is even greener, MUCH greener, and when it is on that mode, you can’t control much else, it is like a package that you’ve to take it or leave it, so I left it (also because it gets VERY hot)

Measure, then post. Apply step 1

1- which color space to choose?…9 modes (Standard Mode / sRGB Mode / Adobe RGB Mode / DCI-P3 Mode / DICOM Mode / Rec.709 Mode / HDR_PQ Rec2020 / User Mode1 / User Mode2)
    for
    A- video editing (I am currently using DCI-P3)
    B- watching movies (I am currently using DCI-P3)
    C- graphic design (I am using currently Adobe RGB Mode)

User1/User2 for all color managed software.  Caibrate & profile with DisplayCAL.
    Add HW calibration slot preset (whatever name it has) if Asus software is now reliable: it has never been… but maybe they fixed it. You can validate HW cal results with DisplayCAL too. Remember step 1 to measure.

sRGB/Rec709 with additional white & gamma tweak for non color managaed apps. You can use DislayCAL too to fix white in GPU even if RGB gains controls for white are locked.

Depening on your GPU banding may appear.

2- Which PQ mode? I didn’t exactly get their explanation.
    PQ Basic: Presents HDR performance of general HDR supported
    displays.
    * PQ Optimized: Delivers the optimized HDR performance of this
    display.
    * PQ 600: Preserves PQ curve till displaying maximum luminance
    with accuracy. Any luminance higher than display maximum will
    be mapped to display maximum.
    Again for
    A- video editing

None. It’s a SDR display with a low contrast IPS panel and very mild FALD. It is not and was never meant to edit HDR video. You’ll need MUCH MUCH MUCH more budget.

B- watching movies

Measure then choose which is better (actually which is less off). You can use DisplayCAL or HCFR (runs on ArgyllCMS too). Both are free.

N
    C- graphic design

None

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by Vincent.

i1Display Studio on Amazon   i1Display Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS