Xrite i1 display pro, colormunki, or wacom color manager?

Home Forums Help and Support Xrite i1 display pro, colormunki, or wacom color manager?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

111alan
    Participant

These 3 seems to be almost the same, according to the little research I’ve made. I’ve read that the only difference between i1 pro and colormunki is speed. The Wacom color manager looks just like an rebranded i1 pro, and it’s confirmed that it supports displaycal.

The price difference is quite large here, colormunki is the cheapest, Wacom color manager costs just a little more, but i1 pro is 40% more expensive.

Starting to think they’re all the same hardware, since the Hardware IDs are the same. But why some people say i1 pro is faster than colormunki? If they’re not of the same hardware, is there a difference in accuracy between these? Speed is not very important to me anyway.

Thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Careful: i1 Pro and i1 Display Pro are completely different instruments. The former is a spectrometer, the latter a colorimeter. Same goes For ColorMunki (Photo/Design) and ColorMunki Display.

There is no difference in accuracy between i1 Display Pro and ColorMunki Display, but the latter is less suitable for measuring refresh-type displays (like plasma TVs) as the firmware-restricted measurement speed prevents syncing to the refresh rate (not an issue for LCD or OLED based displays).

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by Florian Höch.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

The price difference is quite large here, colormunki is the cheapest, Wacom color manager costs just a little more, but i1 pro is 40% more expensive.

i1 DisplayPro “Retail” = Wacom color manager

…but they have different ID and unlock codes. If your are going to use only ARgyllCMS and related software (DisplayCAL/HCFR) it’s OK to choose the one you like most.

If you are going to use now or in near future some kind of propietary hardware calibration solutions read the tiny print of each manufacturer:
    -AFAIK Cintiq HW calibration will work only with Wacom rebranded i1d3
    -it’s very likely that Xrite OEM software for some monitors won’t work with other manufacturer OEM i1d3 versions: for example IDNK if a Dell/Viewsonic/Benq internal calibration software will work with an OEM i1d3 from HP/Wacom/NEC.

So it’s posiible that depending on what hardware you have, or what hardware you are going to purchase in near future you will be forced to buy TWO i1d3 devices because of this “licensing”.

IMHO unless you own a Cintiq or you wish to buy one, i1 DisplayPro “retail” is a safer “future proof” investment than Wacom version.

111alan
    Participant

Thanks for reply and the correction. Not very familiar with spectrometers 😛

I think I won’t be using any CRT or plasma display in the expected future. If the firmware only limit the sampling speed then there’s no difference to me anyway.

111alan
    Participant

Just borrowed a Wacom color manager. Seems that there’s a difference in PID. The Hardwire ID is USB\VID_0765&PID_5020.  Actually I think most of those proprietary softwares are really bad, they only focus on speed but neglect the quality. Tried the spyder5 software and Wacom calibration software, they’re really quick but the results are abysmal. Should be sticking to displaycal before it’s discontinued or mess up something big.

If I have to use some software which can connect with monitor itself, I would probably just use it to port the profile in, or modify the hardware ID  of the software to support this device.

There’s a problem: DisplayCAL can’t import colorimeter corrections data from that Wacom Color Manager software. I don’t know is it the same as i1 display pro, so selecting “auto” can do the job?

The wacom software is here:
    https://www.wacom.com/en/support/product-support/other

Thanks for your patience.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

There’s a problem: DisplayCAL can’t import colorimeter corrections data from that Wacom Color Manager software. I don’t know is it the same as i1 display pro, so selecting “auto” can do the job?

“Auto” is usually the way to go as it only needs to download a small file (163 KB) compared to the usually much larger binary installer for the full vendor software.

111alan
    Participant

So the it’ll be the same file for i1 display pro colormunki and Wacom color manager?

• This reply was modified 5 years, 7 months ago by 111alan.

Vincent
    Participant

I think I won’t be using any CRT or plasma display in the expected future. If the firmware only limit the sampling speed then there’s no difference to me anyway.

Just borrowed a Wacom color manager. Seems that there’s a difference in PID. The Hardwire ID is USB\VID_0765&PID_5020.  Actually I think most of those proprietary softwares are really bad, they only focus on speed but neglect the quality. Tried the spyder5 software and Wacom calibration software, they’re really quick but the results are abysmal. Should be sticking to displaycal before it’s discontinued or mess up something big.

If I have to use some software which can connect with monitor itself, I would probably just use it to port the profile in, or modify the hardware ID  of the software to support this device.

The difference is to be able or not be able to use a Cintiq 27/24/21/16″ hardware calibration feature. So if you own a Cintiq 27, other colorimeter solutions are discarded.
    Wacom HW calibration solution seem sto be another i1Profile clone so as long as your Cintiq has “good” neutral greys out of the box (expected for its price) it should work OK.  At the end of the process you can use a profiling (without GPU calibration) or calibrate & profile with DisplayCAL to fine tune the results (as long as your GPU does not induce banding because of GPU calibration).

If you do now own a Cintiq and you do not plan to buy one… then it’s useless to buy a Wacom i1d3 IMHO (for a small saving you won’t be able to use HW calibration solution for monitors). If you do not own a Cintiq, Wacom i1d3 software may not work at all or work like an i1Profiler … or work like an i1Profiler with a locked spectral correction (so it’s very likely to cause some color cast in white point if that locked correction is not suitable for your screen).

AFAIK like other i1Profiler clones with HW calibration support, Wacom solution will install Xrite services on your system with a (maybe limited) collection of Xrite’s binary spectral corrections (EDRs), so if you plan to use a Wacom i1d3 with DisplayCAL just get the latest i1Profiler (which comes with a spectral correction for newer multimedia “just P3″monitors)

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So the it’ll be the same file for i1 display pro colormunki and Wacom color manager?

Yes, it’s the same for all instruments supporting spectral calibration (i1D3 line as well as Spyder4/5).

so if you plan to use a Wacom i1d3 with DisplayCAL just get the latest i1Profiler (which comes with a spectral correction for newer multimedia “just P3″monitors)

That’s not necessary (anymore). The latest i1d3 blob (which gets downloaded by “Auto” mode) contains the newer correction.

Vincent
    Participant

so if you plan to use a Wacom i1d3 with DisplayCAL just get the latest i1Profiler (which comes with a spectral correction for newer multimedia “just P3″monitors)

That’s not necessary (anymore). The latest i1d3 blob (which gets downloaded by “Auto” mode) contains the newer correction.

Great news!

Is it possible to include in auto mode the “remaining” 1nm correction for current monitors? I’m talking about an spectral sample of W-LED PFS with >99% AdobeRGB (same as “just P3” sample but with mofified green to be more likely to a GB-LED green). It is included in newer versions of HP Zx series (NEC does not include it in lastest update of Spectraview II for its new W-LED PFS model PA271Q).

I mean, with this last sample from 1nm collection almost all current monitors will be covered (with the exception of AUO’s QLED which seems to be a minority).

Since cab is stored in displaycal.net maybe it is possible to add it if it does not conflict with Xrite (or HP) intelectual property (as the current cab).
    Once HP software is installed, EDRs should be located in:
    Program files x86 \ HP \ HP DreamColor Display Calibration \ Support files \
    The “new one” is HP_Dreamcolor_z24x_NewPanel edr.
    As you can see from plotting it is the kind of backlight used in all these new W-LED PFS widegamuts for graphic arts (new 1500:1 CG models from Eizo, some of the new UPs from Dell, supposed to be the backlight used in Benq SW240, maybe the newer  NEC PA271Q… etc)

“Advanced” users will find very easy to get that EDR, but there are a lot of photographers, illustrators or hobbyst that may find this task cumbersome. This backlight is going to be very common for widegamuts.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is it possible to include in auto mode the “remaining” 1nm correction for current monitors? I’m talking about an spectral sample of W-LED PFS with >99% AdobeRGB (same as “just P3” sample but with mofified green to be more likely to a GB-LED green). It is included in newer versions of HP Zx series (NEC does not include it in lastest update of Spectraview II for its new W-LED PFS model PA271Q).

At this point, I’m probably going to repackage all EDR’s, including the missing one you mentioned, which then also gives me the opportunity to clean up the verbose descriptions of a few and deal with the unpecified description in “HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.edr”.

I’ll probably add a new display technology ID for this monitor as well as the Panasonic VVX17P051J00 which seems to have a very similar spectral power distribution, thinking of “LCD PFS Phosphor”.

Eli38
    Participant

I’m a little confused, does a new NEC PA271Q need HP_DreamColor_Z24x_N ewPanel.edr for a proper calibration?

Vincent
    Participant

I’m a little confused, does a new NEC PA271Q need HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel.edr for a proper calibration?

If PA271Q is a W-LED PFS phosphor with high AdobeRGB coverage, then you need that one, or one equivalent supplied in current or future SVII versions, or one equivalent provided by DisplayCAL community.

If you ar planning to get that PA and you are worried about  available EDRs for SpectraviewII… ask NEC support. They even made a specific correction for their older GB-LED PAs instead of reliying in “mixed” RGphosphor EDRs (a “clean” one vs the Xrite’s “mixed” one).
    SVII has been known as reliable over the years. If they do not have it at this point it’s very likely that they will do… specially if customers complain about it.

Since compatible SVII Linux version has not been released… an update should be on the way. Anyway, ask NEC support.

Eli38
    Participant

Vincent, thanks for a response. Now after all the trouble with my SW271 I’m concodering PA271Q unless there are better option even withing sRGB range. I just don’t want to deal with looking for corrections and making conversions. I just want to get a monitor that can be calibrated out of the box with a propper colorimeter. I reach out Nec’s tech support and they told me that I need to contact sales department which seems a little strange but I will try later.

Vincent
    Participant

Vincent, thanks for a response. Now after all the trouble with my SW271 I’m concodering PA271Q unless there are better option even withing sRGB range. I just don’t want to deal with looking for corrections and making conversions. I just want to get a monitor that can be calibrated out of the box with a propper colorimeter. I reach out Nec’s tech support and they told me that I need to contact sales department which seems a little strange but I will try later.

Do you just want a good sRGB one?  If answer is yes, IMHO forget widegamuts and colormanagement learning curve, just get a good sRGB one.

Cheap, good enough and fair prices there are 27″ UHD sRGB in Benq, or dell… you know 1/2 or 1/3 SW271 price. And if you want the best with HW calibration & uniformity compnesation there is NEC EA275UHD… not so expensive, maybe 800 euro.

All of them are WLED sRGB ones “classical WLED correction”, you should get good result even with i1Profiler.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS