X-rite i1 Display PRO PLUS

Home Forums Help and Support X-rite i1 Display PRO PLUS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Lionheart
    Participant

Hi,

I see DisplayCAL supports X-rite i1 Display PRO. Does it also support the upgraded version of the colorimeter “X-rite i1 Display PRO PLUS”?

Thanks

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Nick C
    Participant

I would guess so. I have the newly rebranded Calibrite Display Plus, which from what I understand is the same model as the one you have. And it works great.

Vincent
    Participant

AFAIK it shares unlock code with i1dispaypro oem. Take a look on argyllcms to see current supported i1d3 (unlock code list)

Lionheart
    Participant

Displaycal seems to have picked up the I1diaplay pro PLUS fine. My monitor is the Asus PG329Q wide gamut monitor with Quantum dot technology. I wasn’t quite sure what type of LED backlight it’s using – I’ve came across sources saying White LED, maybe QLED and PFS/KSF Phosphor LED. Used the PFS Phosphor correction in Displaycal as Hardware Unboxed review and other calibration guides recommended for wide gamut monitor (in general) but in the interactive adjustment my white points always have a slight but noticeable tint on them.

I then noticed in the i1 Display Pro Plus manual that I should install the software before plugging in the colorimeter, so ended up uninstalling Displaycal and i1Display pro plus driver that Windows installed automatically. Reinstalled as per X-rite/Calibrite instructions and tried the interactive measurement using the newest ccProfiler from Calibrite which replaces X-Rite branding and software (but the products/support remain the same). I tried D65, D75 and custom 7000K target for white point and don’t seem to be getting colour tints during the interactive measurement adjustment.

Was wondering how to fix this in Displaycal? Should I try importing the corrections from ccProfiler (is it supported)?

Also, can I keep ccProfiler installed on my system and only disable the ‘calibrationLoader’ and ‘ccProfilerTray’ from startup in order to use Displaycal with the i1Display pro plus?

Vincent
    Participant

i1d3s have no driver. There are HID devices. You plug them in … and they are recognized.
    Xrite services are a set of drivers for all other devices from Xrite + a common SDK to Xrite apps can use it instead of dealing with raw HID commands( including unlocking devices with a challenge response)

So:
    -no need to install drivers, that information is false
    -Xrite’s Services are only required for Xrite software, which is useless compared to DisplayCAL
    -i1Profiler/ccProfiler have LESS spectral corrections (EDR) than DisplayCAL
    -all i1Profiler/ccProfiler are included in bundled corrections for i1d3 in displaycal (http://displaycal.net/i1d3)
    -all other GPU LUT loader different from DisplayCAL have low res
    -DisplayCAL has a bundled QLED correction and there may be other user made CCSS for your (supposed to be ) QLED monitor in colorimeter corrections database (do not use CCMX unless you made them)

Uninstall Xrite software, or at least disable all calibration loaders from Xrite.
    Then use DisplayCAL with a CCSS fro your display.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Vincent.

Lionheart
    Participant

Thanks Vincent,

There was a CCMX file for my monitor available. I did download it to see if my D65 whitepoint was affected during the interactive measurement part of the calibration. I haven’t progressed from that part of the calibration yet. Hope I didn’t do anything wrong?

If the QLED correction still gives a slight tint, do I just keep going through the corrections until I get one that gives white point without tints in the interactive measurement?

Finally, under Calibration tab, which Tone Curve would be appropriate for overall pc use (photo, video, gaming, web, some photoshop work)? sRGB or gamma 2.2, or something else?

Cheers

Vincent
    Participant

-DisplayCAL has a bundled QLED correction and there may be other user made CCSS for your (supposed to be ) QLED monitor in colorimeter corrections database (do not use CCMX unless you made them)

+ gamma 2.2

Lionheart
    Participant

Yup I’m not going to use the CCMX file (I had tried it long before reading your post, but only to check if it gave better white point result in the interactive measurement menu. I didn’t make any profiles/complete the calibration process).

For the White Point – I’m trying to get the ‘whitest’ white possible, like snow white or white paper which I think is more than D65. Should I adjust the Chromaticity Coordinates OR change Color Temperature and try it out in the interactive menu after balancing until I get a ‘white’ I’m happy with?

Thanks

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Lionheart.

Vincent
    Participant

Use a QLED CCSS suitable for your display, this is the first unavoidable step.
    Then get a numerical match to D65 or whatever coords you want.
    Then if you do not like white color with those coords use visual whitepoint editor or OSD to get  a match to whatever you are seeking. If you do this 3rd step (visual whitepoint) remember to DO NOT use abs colorimetric intent when making LUT3D for madVR, resolve o DMWLUT.

Lionheart
    Participant

Is there a way to find and filter QLED CCSS files from https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/ ?

The only built in one is the Samsung Q9 tv one. the white point definitely looks better than the rest of the correction profiles. But during the interactive measurement there is an extra “Black Point/Level” which I’m not quite sure how to adjust with my OSD controls. Is it the same OSD RGB controls used to adjust white point?

What happens if I only adjust the white point and leave the black level/point as is?

Thanks

Vincent
    Participant

Is there a way to find and filter QLED CCSS files from https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/ ?

You need to “know” the name of some models with that tecnology. For example pa32ucg, or even SW2700PT but some user provcided CCSS were measured on simulated colorspaces, so beware of that and always print SPD plot using DIsplayCAL or ArgyllCMS CCSS plotting tools to locate these wrongly made CCSS.

The only built in one is the Samsung Q9 tv one. the white point definitely looks better than the rest of the correction profiles. But during the interactive measurement there is an extra “Black Point/Level” which I’m not quite sure how to adjust with my OSD controls. Is it the same OSD RGB controls used to adjust white point?

Usually you can tweak a little dark gery colors with “offset” OSD control (“gain” for whitepoint). You have to play with a sweet spot that minimizes error in both.

What happens if I only adjust the white point and leave the black level/point as is?

(0,0,0) wont be corrected, remaining dark greys will be corrected in GPU 1DLUT, like any other grey.

AFAIK priority is to
    -do not clip
    -neutral grey
    -desired gamma
    in that order.

Lionheart
    Participant

So I’ve done a first calibration to see what’s happening using the QLED correction. Left the black level on interactive measurement alone as changing the RGB gain controls gave too much error on the white point. If I understood correctly you use the same RGB OSD controls used to adjust white point to tweak the black point/level as well?

Using the settings in the attached JPEG, it says the profile says it’s covering 96% SRGB and only 85% DCI-P3 (monitor’s supposedly 160% SRGB and 98% DCI-P3). This doesn’t sound quite right. Something I’ve done wrong?

Also noticed that on the default ASUS PG329Q icm profile from ASUS’s website, the dark greys around 2-4 are more pronounced and easier to read whereas on my created profile 2 pretty much not visible at all. Does this mean I should be using another Tone Curve on the ‘Calibration’ tab? Or select Gamma 2.2 but adjust the value up/down?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

You may have made some unwanted changes on OSD. Reset to defaults on monitor OSD. Native gamut, RGB gains for white, RGB offset may be tweaked for nearblack but that will change white too so you need go back and forth.

Also DCI-P3 is not DisplayP3

Lionheart
    Participant

Since there isn’t any CCSS files available for my monitor, I have found 2 CCSS files for other models which have the same Gamut coverage quoted and use Quantum Dot panels too.

So now I have 3 to choose from –

• Built in Samsung Q9 QLED CCSS in Displaycal
    • ASUS PG32UQ CCSS
    • ASUS PA32UCG CCSS

How do I choose the best one? Is it possible to choose by comparing the EDID chromaticity coordinates to the downloaded Spectral Correction chromaticity coordinates?

Vincent
    Participant

It is a reasonable approach. Also try to plot spectral power distribution to detect sRGB or AdobeRGB simulation presets on CCSS.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS