Windows 11 ColorManagement broken

Home Forums General Discussion Windows 11 ColorManagement broken

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

String
    Participant

Worth knowing – couldn’t see it mentioned in the notes (only colours for HDR screens).

If only i could remember what actual defaults i should have set and where i could go back to normal then!

Omelette
    Participant

I’m attaching a screenshot with the defaults (though they’re easy to spot since they have “System default” written on them). And yes, it’s weird that the changelog only mentions HDR screens. My screen does not support HDR, but this update fixed the issue anyways.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by Omelette.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

String
    Participant

Cheers – So long ago since i set it i’d forgotten what it was.

I’ll check it properly tomorrow.  I use multiple (very different) screens so having an assigned profile was a pain.

Titus
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up! Can confirm that with the latest update (OS Build 22000.469) Irfanview and Chrome now properly switch color profiles, when windows are moved between different monitor, as they did in Windows 10.
    Amazed as well how long it took them to get around to fixing it -__-

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Do Irfan and Chrome really switch profiles when moving between screens? I haven’t seen this even on Mac with Photoshop. They will work with different calibration curves, of course (curves are applied by videocard, apllications don’t know what happens here). But all applications use the only profile they get during application start, till they will be closed. Exception is those ported from Linux (GIMP, Krita), here you have to set display profile explicitly. May be, something has changed?

P.S. The problem with display profile loading order in Win11 had been already discussed in other theme, but off the topic. Glad to know that Win11 returned to multiple displays support. Actually, absolute majority of MS users still work in Win10, I don’t see serious reason to upgrade it now, but bugs and software incompliance are guaranteed.

String
    Participant

Im still seeing some odd behaviour that might be DisplayCal related.

Commonly i use a main desktop monitor in the day and laptop screen later on.

Previously it auto set the correct profile for each screen.  Now its not, unplugging the main screen and the laptop is using the monitor profile and vice versa.

I have set the colour management back to “system defaults”.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Titus
    Participant

Yes, that is how those apps work in Windows. But it is a semi-recent development. When color management was first added to Chrome a few years ago it behaved as you describe, you had to close the app and re-launch for it to switch color profiles. Now you can see it change the color profile dynamically as you move the open window from one display to the other. (The default windows photo app and many others now have this functionality too.) Other apps may be different though. I have some apps such as Clip Studio Paint that will only ever use the color profile of the primary display. Others still require you to re-launch the app. Irfanview you have to cycle to a different image and back for it to switch color profiles, which is fast enough to do with the mouse scroll wheel to not be too annoying.
    (And I only switched to Windows 11 early because I’m a PC enthusiast and have bad judgement lol.)

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS