Which Backlight Correction for this TV ?

Home Forums Help and Support Which Backlight Correction for this TV ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Just purchased a TCL 43″ S517, It is Wide Gamut according to Rting.

I am not quite sure which correction to use w/ the i1dp.

Does anyone know ?

It meters 90% dci-p3, so according to florian, should be using the panasonic vvx correction?

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

I attempted to use the panasonic vvx correction, but then the mode switches to refresh instead of LCD

Is that suppose to happen ? is the panasonic vvx not for lcds ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I attempted to use the panasonic vvx correction, but then the mode switches to refresh instead of LCD

Is that suppose to happen ?

Yes.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Does the refreshrate on lcds impact the color reading ?

as in, would 60hz cause a different color vs 23.976?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Framerate != refreshrate.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Framerate != refreshrate.

I meant if i had my monitor at 23.976hz vs 60hz, will the colors meter differently . and between the lcd/ refresh modes.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I meant if i had my monitor at 23.976hz vs 60hz, will the colors meter differently . and between the lcd/ refresh modes.

Generally, no, but some displays with strobing/scanning backlight may loose brightness in strobing/scanning mode.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Hai, Florian,  I’ve been using the 2.2 gawt  w/ 100% black output offset 3DLUT, for Madvr HDR->SDR, based on your strict prescription on another forum.

I noticed that while it does maximize the effect of HDR highlight/contrast,  it also cause a bit of black crush.  This is more prominent if I leave the room light on, where it becomes even more difficult to see dark detail, ontop of eye burning highlights.

Is reducing black offset completely inappropriate for color accuracy ?

Is there some other way to lift the black/shadow detail a bit ?

Finally, what is your opinion on HDR in regards to viewing comfort/ pragmatism, because while I agree it is a new dimension for video-artists,  more than half-the-time, it hurts my eye, and I have to squint.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’ve been using the 2.2 gawt w/ 100% black output offset 3DLUT, for Madvr HDR->SDR, based on your strict prescription on another forum.

That “prescription” was only for direct madVR shader tonemapping to 3D LUT tonemapping comparisons (due to madVR shader tone mapping not having the ability to take display black level into account).

Is reducing black offset completely inappropriate for color accuracy ?

No, and you can set it to any value you like. 0% black output offset is equivalent to “pure” BT.2390 (which incorporates black level lift).

Finally, what is your opinion on HDR in regards to viewing comfort/ pragmatism, because while I agree it is a new dimension for video-artists, more than half-the-time, it hurts my eye, and I have to squint.

This depends on the viewing environment, display setup and how the HDR material was mastered. If HDR is used overly liberally, it will not be very suited for dimmer viewing environments. Ways around this are, as usual, to reduce the peak luminance of the display, increase the target peak luminance for the 3D LUT (or in madVR settings for the shader) – which has the effect of making HDR overall dimmer, adjust the viewing environment, or any combination thereof.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

That “prescription” was only for direct madVR shader tonemapping to 3D LUT tonemapping comparisons (due to madVR shader tone mapping not having the ability to take display black level into account).

So for Madvr Pixel-Shader HDR to SDR,  it must be the 0% offset ?

and using the 3D Lut tonemapping , it can be any % offset ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So for Madvr Pixel-Shader HDR to SDR, it must be the 0% offset ?

Only if you want to compare the two and minimize differences.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

If this tv is ~93% P3,  and I’m using the HDR-SDR Shader,  Should I select rec2020 as the source color space for the LUT, or select Dci-P3 as source color space.

The reason I ask is, The Madvr readout sometimes says rec2020, and sometimes it says rec2020–> Dci-P3

But if I put a rec2020 source lut into the slot, it always picks the rec2020 lut, never from the dci-p3 slot.

A bit uncertain as to how madvr is interacting and choosing the LUT.

Using rec2020 as source colorspace option, seems to look less saturated than selecting dci-p3 as source colorspace.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If this tv is ~93% P3, and I’m using the HDR-SDR Shader, Should I select rec2020 as the source color space for the LUT, or select Dci-P3 as source color space.

For HDR, the source for the 3D LUT needs to be Rec. 2020. For SDR, the source for the 3D LUT needs to be Rec. 709.

The reason I ask is, The Madvr readout sometimes says rec2020, and sometimes it says rec2020–> Dci-P3

This depends on the HDR metadata. The container format for HDR always uses Rec. 2020, but the effective encoded gamut is DCI-P3.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

If this tv is ~93% P3, and I’m using the HDR-SDR Shader, Should I select rec2020 as the source color space for the LUT, or select Dci-P3 as source color space.

For HDR, the source for the 3D LUT needs to be Rec. 2020. For SDR, the source for the 3D LUT needs to be Rec. 709.

From  HDR Material –>  Madvr’s HDR to SDR  Pixel Shader –>  DCI-P3 Gamut TV,

The 3D lut should be  rec2020 source , and placed in the rec2020 box ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The 3D lut should be rec2020 source , and placed in the rec2020 box ?

Yes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS