Video preset and inconsistent colors

Home Forums Help and Support Video preset and inconsistent colors

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Pablo Mendoza Alvarez
    Participant

Hi, I calibrated my MacBook Pro and iMac using the video preset but I have inconsistent color among different applications. When I edit in Adobe Premiere, colors are consistent with what I see in VLC and Resolve (with “use mac profile for viewers” option disabled). If I open my video in Quicktime, Final cut X, enable the “use mac profile for viewers” in Resolve, or I upload it to Vimeo the video is way too dark. Any suggestion? What am I doing wrong?

Pablo Mendoza Alvarez
    Participant

Here is some more info about my problem. I calibrated my MacBook Pro with an i1 Display Pro. I’m happy with the calibration. Colors and gamma almost match my Sony monitor. The problem appears to be QuickTime/FCPX and Vimeo.

If I watch the movie in QuickTime/FCPX while my monitor is using my calibrated profiles, the movie is way too dark.

The same happens on  FCPX and Vimeo. If I switch to the default mac profile (color LCD) the video in QuickTime is still dark but not as dark when I use my calibrated profile.

It looks like QuickTime is trying to compensate something when I use my calibrated profile.

I used the default XYZ + Matrix. Should I use another profile type?

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

When I edit in Adobe Premiere, colors are consistent with what I see in VLC and Resolve (with “use mac profile for viewers” option disabled)

Are you using a 3D LUT in Resolve? If not, it will show the same as VLC (no color management at all).

Pablo Mendoza Alvarez
    Participant

No, I’m not using any 3D LUT in Resolve and its consistent with VLC.

Quicktime and FCPX viewers are way off (crushed blacks)…

Pablo Mendoza Alvarez
    Participant

OK, here is an update on my problem.

I think it’s an OSX Bug like reported here.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/271825/bug-macos-sierra-preview-quick-look-issues-with-rendering-colors-of-images-when

In my case, I discovered all apps that use OSX color management are affected. No problem with applications that use their custom color management (Photoshop, After Effects, Scratch Play etc…)…

It appears that also other calibration software is affected. I found this on apple support forum about Eizo color :

I use EIZO display with its calibration software “ColorNavigator” and calibrated profile.

When a profile made with an option, “reflect black level in tone curve” is checked, shadows get too dark.

Uncheck the option and re-calibrate (= renew profile) fixed the issue.

Is there a similar option is displaycal that can fix the issue?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

In my case, I discovered all apps that use OSX color management are affected.

Actually, for images, ColorSync utility and the Screenshot app do work correctly (atleast under my 10.13 High Sierra system, so does Photos, but not Preview). Doesn’t help for video though.

Is there a similar option is displaycal that can fix the issue?

Yes, see the respective thread “Dark images in Mac Photos & Preview”.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS