Help is my Benq Broken? Good measurement, poor gamut

Home Forums General Discussion Help is my Benq Broken? Good measurement, poor gamut

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Ian de Vera
    Participant

Thank you for the reply Vincent,

Has clarified a lot for me. Looks like this is a hardware problem. Lot’s of good reviews and recommendation online for this model, I failed to search on the downside and issues. Never thought that this had so many

Eizo and i1displaypro is out of the question. Budgetwise and availability here in the Philippines. I do photography on the side and have lived with my macbook pro and a dellu2414h. Was happy with my calibration results and colors that i see on that monitor. I thought the benq would be a huge step up. Gave me 1 week of sleepless nights trying to figure out what is wrong.

Ill just return this one and look for a good srgb monitor. I think I would not really need a wide gamut one as I rarely print and most of my output is viewed on web.

I was being offered a newly released “designers” monitor from MQI. seems good on paper, are you familiar with this one?  MSI Creator PS321QR

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Ian de Vera
    Participant

That 600:1 looks closer to current low cost low quality panels from Benq once UC corrected, like in current SW***C. Grey remains bad, very poor a*b* range.

Try to get an i1Displaypro. You’ll need it if you get a real monitor (an Eizo CS) instead a benq toy, or if you want to use PME, or if you want to use DisplayCAL.
    If contrast remains so bad or grey has the same issues you have a reliable measurement device for another monitor or to try to correct results in DisplayCAL.

Has clarified a lot for me. Looks like this is a hardware problem. Lot’s of good reviews and recommendation online for this model, I failed to search on the downside and issues. Never thought that this had so many

Eizo and i1displaypro is out of the question. Budgetwise and availability here in the Philippines. I do photography on the side and have lived with my macbook pro and a dellu2414h. Was happy with my calibration results and colors that i see on that monitor. I thought the benq would be a huge step up. Gave me 1 week of sleepless nights trying to figure out what is wrong.

Ill just return this one and look for a good srgb monitor. I think I would not really need a wide gamut one as I rarely print and most of my output is viewed on web.

I was being offered a newly released “designers” monitor from MQI. seems good on paper, are you familiar with this one?  MSI Creator PS321QR

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

That 600:1 looks closer to current low cost low quality panels from Benq once UC corrected, like in current SW***C. Grey remains bad, very poor a*b* range.

Try to get an i1Displaypro. You’ll need it if you get a real monitor (an Eizo CS) instead a benq toy, or if you want to use PME, or if you want to use DisplayCAL.
    If contrast remains so bad or grey has the same issues you have a reliable measurement device for another monitor or to try to correct results in DisplayCAL.

Has clarified a lot for me. Looks like this is a hardware problem.

Spyder HW

Solve Spyder problem first, then monitor.

Going from a toy to another. Get Eizo CS series, HW cal + i1displaypro. Just works.

But first of all try to get an i1displaypro, maybe gamut errors are gone with it. Even poor contrast. Not sure about grey error.

Ian de Vera
    Participant

we do not have eizo here. Shipping will double the price of the monitor.

Is spyder really that bad?

The reason I am asking is that I am able to calibrate my macbook pro display properly (99%SRGB with good measurement report). So I am thinking that spyder is OK, it’s my benq monitor that has the problem?

MW
    Participant

Yes, only the X-Rite colorimeters are trusted for the near-black range.

Vincent
    Participant

we do not have eizo here. Shipping will double the price of the monitor.

NEC PA243W will work too and is cheaper (24″)

Is spyder really that bad?

The reason I am asking is that I am able to calibrate my macbook pro display properly (99%SRGB with good measurement report). So I am thinking that spyder is OK, it’s my benq monitor that has the problem?

It does not matter, spectral power distribution of those 2 display is different, hence you cannot compare results.

As said before, replace Spyder first, then remeasure, recalibrate and then consider replacement.

Ian de Vera
    Participant

Thank you vincent, will see if I can get an x-rite or have it shipped.

Much appreciated for the information sir.:)

Ian de Vera
    Participant

Hi Vincent,

I was able to get a good gamut coverage after doing a factory reset on my monitor -> PME calibration using suggested settings by ArtisRight -> Displaycal/Spyder software.

I have to do with what i have for the moment.

Attached are two measurements, can you help me out which among the two is better.

1 measurement is calibration using displaycal + Lorian’s correction
    2 measurement is calibration using spyder5 pro software

Both are passed measurements. just dont know how to interpret the differences in values.

What i do notice tho is the spyder profile reports higher gamut coverage 99%srgb 94 argb. however it seems that blacks are crushed when i view photos on my safari browser.
    The displaycal calibration reporst only 90%srgb and around 85% adobe rgb, but details on shadows are way better.

I know that i1display pro is the way to go. I am still figuring out how to get one. For now these two are my choices.

Thank you

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Grey range is bad on the 2 calibrations , just put RGB + gray balance and you’ll see. IDNK if you may live with this kind of errors if yiu do not make B&W work or UI designs with gradients.

Also errors are in the same place in grey ramp, just check measures a*b* for greys. Try to make an slow speed calibration (which will be time consuming on a bad & slow device like an Spyder), this will take up to 96 measures on grey ramp while calibrating on last loop. If GPU can do things without banding (high bitdepth lut & dithering() and if measurement its accurate this should give you smooth gradients akin to HW cal.

What i do notice tho is the spyder profile reports higher gamut coverage 99%srgb 94 argb. however it seems that blacks are crushed when i view photos on my safari browser.
    The displaycal calibration reporst only 90%srgb and around 85% adobe rgb, but details on shadows are way better.

It is MacOS fault and their faulty color management engine. You need to use as profile type xtremely simplified profiles (as DisplayCAL sets by default on MacOS), otherwise all kinds of errors happens… and that’s Apple’s fault.

Ian de Vera
    Participant

Thank you Vincent, i iwll try slow calibration.

Is the low gamut coverage after displaycal calibration bothersome? 90%Srgb/85%argb or as long as i get good verification results it is ok?

Vincent
    Participant

Spyder readings are not to be trusted… so who knows what are actual gamut boundaries

Ian de Vera
    Participant

Thank you vincent. Will do slow calibration tonight and send results once done

Ian de Vera
    Participant

This is my display cal measurement using long calibration time. All looks good including grays, am I right?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Ian de Vera.
    Attachments:

MW
    Participant

The report looks fine. If you want to be more confident a X-rite colorimeter is required.

Ian de Vera
    Participant

Thank you.

I am finding a way to get an x-rite colorimeter

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS