Help is my Benq Broken? Good measurement, poor gamut

Home Forums General Discussion Help is my Benq Broken? Good measurement, poor gamut

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Ian de Vera
    Participant

Finally after 1 week of calibrating and losing sleep, i think I was able to get it all together.

Here’s the thing, I got a sw2700pt BEFORE reading reviews that BenQ PME is a nightmare! All I read before purchasing the order that is is one of most recommended monitors and that it is always in the TOP 10/20 list.

Anyway, my problem was that with PME 1.3.11 i was able to hardware calibrate it properly and validate it in PME. THE BIG PROBLEM was when I open apps like preview (Mac OS) and view photos in safari, shadows/blacks are severely crushed! Badly losing shadows! When i open the file in PS and LR it was ok.

After reading through A LOT and being stressed a LOT.  I finally had a thought on what was happening. Benq is creating a profile that for some reason (God knows what?) my mac OS is having problems with. I’ve tried clean installing Mojave and Catalina for that matter and still the same thing.

Then I discovered that Displaycal can do PROFILE only. And so I figured, do a good hardware calibration. Make a working profile using displaycal. And for now it works and I am happy(er).

My only question is that after display cal profiling i only hit 90% srgb and 80% adobe rgb. Is this something of a concern since this is supposed to be a wide gamut monitor. On another note it may be that because I did a hardware calibration the the monitor’s NATIVE gamut.

HEre’s my displaycal measurement report. It looks OK, im just bothered that I only hit 90/80 gamut coverage. Hope someone can enlighten me.

Is my monitor broken? Because I only have several days to return it

• This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Ian de Vera.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Ian de Vera.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

MW
    Participant

Have you checked that the monitor isn’t set to a sRGB emulated mode? This could be either an OSD setting or a hardware calibration that’s not cleared.

Ian de Vera
    Participant

I have.

I did factory reset as well and unplugged it for 1 hour to be sure.

Vincent
    Participant

-Instead of posting screenshots, paste profile or full report so we can see CIE a*b* gamut projection.

-you are using a Spyder, so lot of inaccuracies are expected.

-you are using wrong spectral correction. That’s for newer WLED PFS display, yours is a QLED. There are lots of wrong user made 3nm CCSS for SW2700PT, emulated gamuts, but there should be a few at native gamut:

https://colorimetercorrections.displaycal.net/?get&type=ccss&manufacturer_id=BNQ&display=BenQ%20SW2700&instrument=i1%20DisplayPro%2C%20ColorMunki%20Display%2C%20Spyder4&html=1
    Once installed, using (i) button nest to correction combo you can guess if it an emulation or native. Emulation to Adobe/sRGB have red channel as linear combination of native. Same for green in sRGB.
    Florian posted a clean version in some thread, a few years ago. You may need to search.

Anyway if you are too lost you can use bundled Widegamut LED in Spyder config in DisplayCAL (1st tab upper right) or RGBLED whcih is the WRONG correction used by PME with i1d3 colorimeter

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Ian de Vera
    Participant

I have downloaded Lorian’s file but have no idea how to use it. How do I  use that?

I downloaded it but it was a text file and I could not load it to displaycal as ccss

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Ian de Vera.

Ian de Vera
    Participant

Anyway if you are too lost you can use bundled Widegamut LED in Spyder config in DisplayCAL (1st tab upper right) or RGBLED whcih is the WRONG correction used by PME with i1d3 colorimeter

Hmm, I cannot find the “widegamut LED” my options on the spyder5 modes are : LCD generic, refresh generic, lcd cffl, lcd wide gamut, lcd white led, lcd rgb led, lcd ccfl type 2

Vincent
    Participant

1st tab (devices tab), colorimeter correction combo, choose “folder” icon on the right to open files. Choose CCSS correction you downloaded.

(i) button next to it shows spectral power distribution, a QLED, red wavelength peak is moved to shorter wavelengths than older RGB LED from HP L24-idontremember-x, for example.

Vincent
    Participant

Hmm, I cannot find the “widegamut LED” my options on the spyder5 modes are : LCD generic, refresh generic, lcd cffl, lcd wide gamut, lcd white led, lcd rgb led, lcd ccfl type 2

RGB LED as explained above. It’s wrong, but it is the closer one bundled with Spyder4-5

Ian de Vera
    Participant

here are my profiles. the gamut shape looks weird and is far from adobe rgb

Attachments:

Ian de Vera
    Participant

1st tab (devices tab), colorimeter correction combo, choose “folder” icon on the right to open files. Choose CCSS correction you downloaded.

(i) button next to it shows spectral power distribution, a QLED, red wavelength peak is moved to shorter wavelengths than older RGB LED from HP L24-idontremember-x, for example.

Im sorry but i cant find this in my displaycal 3.8.9.3
    is this the corrections option? if so when I open the folder icon, i cannot select Lorian’s ccss file as it is downloaded as ccss.txt

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

-Just rename file if your internet browser renames it.

-do not use White LED as internal Spyder correction, explained before (edited, that one is for your other 24″ monitor)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Vincent.

Ian de Vera
    Participant

i did that.

deleted the “.txt” in the end of the file name but displaycal still cannot open it as correction

Ian de Vera
    Participant

Got it already. downloaded the file using another browser 😀

Ian de Vera
    Participant

here’s my latest measurements. Looks bad?
    Very poor gamut coverage?

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

That 600:1 looks closer to current low cost low quality panels from Benq once UC corrected, like in current SW***C. Grey remains bad, very poor a*b* range.

Try to get an i1Displaypro. You’ll need it if you get a real monitor (an Eizo CS) instead a benq toy, or if you want to use PME, or if you want to use DisplayCAL.
    If contrast remains so bad or grey has the same issues you have a reliable measurement device for another monitor or to try to correct results in DisplayCAL.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS