Using ICC profile and/or 3D LUT in Davinci Resolve?

Home Forums Help and Support Using ICC profile and/or 3D LUT in Davinci Resolve?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

doontoon
    Participant

Florian, hi,

I followed this guide on the website here which involves, on the one hand, creating a 3D LUT for Resolve (I am ignorant of what a LUTs is used for in this context), and, on the other, creating a calibration profile for the monitor. I don’t really understand how these two steps interact but can see that applying the monitor profile changes the way everything looks, and that then applying the LUT in Resolve’s colour-management settings further changes the way the preview window looks.

**tl:dr** Could you kindly advise me on whether I need to both apply the display calibration profile at the system level *and* the aforementioned 3D LUT in Resolve at once? Or does this amount to just stacking the same profile? I am so confused by all this. When I apply the LUT only, the results look to me like it couldn’t possibly be the right way of doing things: my desktop has a significant green cast and the Resolve preview window is very contrast and dark. But as I say, I am a novice to all this

Thank you for your continued (and seemingly limitless) patience with inane questions like this.

Take care,

• This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by doontoon.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by doontoon.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

have you followed the respective part of the guide you linked to?

doontoon
    Participant

Hey, yes I followed the part for calibrating the GUI viewer window.

I also have a problem with the white point mentioned in my Measurement Report (https://mystifying-kowalevski-c7b13d.netlify.com/). The light levels in my room vary wildly, perhaps this is just something to do with that?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The light levels in my room vary wildly, perhaps this is just something to do with that?

If the room light shines on the display in  a way that it enters and thus contaminates the light emitted by it, then this may affect the measurements. Generally it is highly recommended to have tight control over the room lighting (depending on how far you want to take it, this can include shutting out daylight and using high CRI room lights as a bare minimum and extends to painting walls a spectrally flat gray color).

doontoon
    Participant

Actually, I remember now that when I was doing the initial adjustments with the OSD, there seemed to be no way to get the colour bars to match and get the brightness to the centre marker. I compromised by letting the brightness fall short of the line. Fiddling with it now, it seems like I am able to get closer to matching both brightness and RGB by increasing the ‘Contrast’ settings of the monitor toward 100%… does it matter if I use Contrast to achieve the balance in this way? Apologies for all the questions

doontoon
    Participant

I will black out the windows, hopefully that will be better than nothing at all. Thanks!

doontoon
    Participant

I was wondering whether I need to apply both the ICC profile and the 3D LUT inside Resolve if I am using the GUI preview window? A Resolve support technician told me I only need the 3D LUT applied and to forget the ICC profile as if they are both applied this will effectively stack the correction.. but the wording of your guide seems to suggest that both the ICC profile and the LUT should be applied at the same time… is this correct? Thank you for your help

I bought some blackout material and the room is now permanently dark. I assume this is at least slightly better than varying daylight conditions.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by doontoon.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I was wondering whether I need to apply both the ICC profile and the 3D LUT inside Resolve if I am using the GUI preview window

It depends whether or not you installed the profile, and whether or not the embedded calibration is nonlinear (tone curve not “As measured” on the calibration tab).

doontoon
    Participant

I set the calibration tone curve to Rec. 709. I am using a Colormunki Display, so I also allowed the ‘Ambient light level’ tool to set both the ambient light level and the Whitepoint. Come to think of it, though, I cannot remember what I set the tone curve to in the 3D LUT tab… should this be Rec 1886, or something else? I know it’s not your problem, but I just don’t know what any of it means. A friend told me “set everything to Rec.709 and hope for the best”. My goal here is that Resolve will display images in a way which will let me make accurate-enough decisions for the purposes of internet distribution and viewing on as wide a range of computers/phones/etc., as possible. As my equipment is all consumer-level, all I am looking for is triage on what was previously a completely uncalibrated screen and uncontrolled environment.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I set the calibration tone curve to Rec. 709.

Did you install the profile? (irrespective of that, Rec. 709 tone curve is not what you want – it is a OETF or “camera” transfer function).

set the tone curve to in the 3D LUT tab… should this be Rec 1886

Rec. 1886 is the official standard for Rec. 709 footage. How that looks is very dependent on your display though, because it depends on the contrast of your display. EBU recommends a contrast of at least 2000:1 for “grade A” monitors (black level <= 0.05 cdm2, white 100 cd/m2). On an OLED display with (basically) infinite contrast, Rec. 1886 is equal to a gamma of 2.4, and thus some people prefer that.

doontoon
    Participant

Thanks again for your continued help!

When the calibration was complete I installed the profile and also loaded the LUT that was created in Resolve.

Thank you so much for the heads up on Rec 709, I will set to 1886 instead. My display is just a consumer-level LG panel whose contrast ratio is only 1000:1. From other posts I have read on this forum, it seems like I should be aiming for under 100cd/m2 in terms of whitepoint. In the ‘Interactive Display Adjustment’ screen (before the patches run) the value was ~220 cd/m2.. should I have reduced the brightness of the screen to account for this?

Again, I can only apologise for the sheer number of questions and thank you again for your help with this.

doontoon
    Participant

I tried the process again but set the whitepoint at 50cd/m2.. this involved setting the brightness of the monitor to ‘0’. The gamut coverage went down to 95% sRGB from approx. 99% and even when the profile is installed there looks to be a warm cast.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

100 cd/m2 should be ok for a dim room.

doontoon
    Participant

Right, I’ve gone through the process in the guide and targetted 100cd/m2. I have installed the profile in the “Display & instrument” tab, but do I now also need to install the LUT as the “3D Color Viewer Lookup Table”? I am on Windows.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

do I now also need to install the LUT as the “3D Color Viewer Lookup Table”?

Yes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS