Unity, sRGB & Color Calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Unity, sRGB & Color Calibration

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Stoked
    Participant

Hi,

For the past few days I’ve been searching for a monitor to complete my new setup. I have a basic understanding of how color spaces work and read up a lot about color management, ICC profiles etc.

However, I can’t wrap my head around a rather basic question:

1. How can I ensure high color accuracy when working with Unity 3D on Windows?

Since Unity doesn’t seem to be color managed, the only way to go about it (that I can think of) is to buy an sRGB display, calibrate it with an sRGB ICC and hope for the best.

That’s a bummer as I intended to buy a wide gamut monitor but the one ticking all boxes doesn’t feature gamma correction/sRGB mode on OSD, meaning that non-color managed applications will be oversaturated (spec: 144% sRGB). Nvidia also doesn’t offer an sRGB clamp that I could toggle individually.

Is there anything I’m missing? Sry if it’s a newbie question.

Vincent
    Participant

Most “sRGB-like” display hay a native gamut a little bigger than sRGB in some parts. Usually this is not an issue but IDNK what kind of accuracy do you want. If this is not a problem, calibrate to D65 using its RGB gains + additional grey correction using DisplayCAL. This last one may cause bading unles you have an AMD card or play the dither trick wth nvidias.

Another alternative would be a widegamut display with RELIABLE HW calibration like CS2731 (QHD) or CS2740 (UHD) and calibrate to sRGB using its lut-matrix… but you may see this as an overkill (starts at 1000 euro + 230€ for an i1DisplayPro). Going through a LU3D HW calibration (CG-X models) and the required software for a 17cube lut3d would be too expensive.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS