UAC

Home Forums Help and Support UAC

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

benjamin
    Participant

Each time I boot windows, if I change profiles via the profile loader (right click, profile associations, double click a profile), UAC will ask for my permission.  After I added permission, it seems to be ok, until I restart the computer, then if I change profiles, UAC will ask me again.

I tried ticking “automatically fix profile associations”, to no avail.

Im using Windows 10 1909.  Uac settings are default.

I don’t recall this happening prior to 1909.

Im using the latest version of DisplayCal.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by benjamin.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Joel
    Participant

Hi,

Make sure this application is authorized by following : Control panel  > System and security > Windows Defender firewall > authorized Applications.

Or type on the search bar, at the bottom, left of the screen, next to the start button : authorize an application via the Firewall.

And find out if DisplayCal and derivatives are checked. On the right and the left.

Good luck!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Joel.

benjamin
    Participant

Hi,

Make sure this application is authorized by following : Control panel  > System and security > Windows Defender firewall > authorized Applications.

Or type on the search bar, at the bottom, left of the screen, next to the start button : authorize an application via the Firewall.

And find out if DisplayCal and derivatives are checked. On the right and the left.

Good luck!

Hi Joel,

Im using Eset Internet Security, its not letting me click that option.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by benjamin.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by benjamin.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Joel
    Participant

Hi,

You must deactivated your anti-virus to make these sensitive manipulations.

Best Regards,

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Joel.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

This has nothing to do with firewall or anti-virus. Normally, the DisplayCAL profile loader runs as an unprivileged process, for security reasons. So if you want to change SYSTEM profile associations, you get the UAC popup. If you don’t want that, do not install profiles for SYSTEM, but only for the current user (system-wide makes no sense on a single user system anyway). Alternatively set DisplayCAL Profile Loader Launcher to run with highest privileges in Windows scheduled tasks.

Joel
    Participant

Florian, the problem is that  the UAC ask him for authorisation at each restart. I never had it with DisplayCal.

So, I assumed that he will had intervene manually in the process, since some antiviruses can interfere with normal operation.

However, thank you for your expert vision.

Thanks

benjamin
    Participant

This has nothing to do with firewall or anti-virus. Normally, the DisplayCAL profile loader runs as an unprivileged process, for security reasons. So if you want to change SYSTEM profile associations, you get the UAC popup. If you don’t want that, do not install profiles for SYSTEM, but only for the current user (system-wide makes no sense on a single user system anyway). Alternatively set DisplayCAL Profile Loader Launcher to run with highest privileges in Windows scheduled tasks.

Sorry for the late response.

“Alternatively set DisplayCAL Profile Loader Launcher to run with highest privileges in Windows scheduled tasks.”  This works, thanks.

“If you don’t want that, do not install profiles for SYSTEM, but only for the current user” How do I do this?  The option isn’t there whilst installing DisplayCal.

I installed a clean copy of windows 10 may 2020, followed by the graphics card driver and DisplayCal.   When I went to apply a profile, the profile loader closed itself (crashed?).   I’ve recorded it, so maybe you can see where i’m going wrong?  Thanks.

https://streamable.com/hwtwsf

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by benjamin.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by benjamin.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

“If you don’t want that, do not install profiles for SYSTEM, but only for the current user” How do I do this?  The option isn’t there whilst installing DisplayCal.

When I went to apply a profile, the profile loader closed itself (crashed?). I’ve recorded it, so maybe you can see where i’m going wrong? Thanks.

When the profile loader is running with “user” privileges (default), it will have to relaunch itself when changing a “system” profile. Thus the UAC prompt. You need to figure out what is blocking it from relaunching.

benjamin
    Participant

After I created a profile a long time ago for my monitor, whenever I needed to clean install windows I got into an habit of installing DisplayCal  but I never opened DisplayCal, I only opened the Profile loader to install the color profile.  That is why I didnt see the above window ^.  It only appears if I apply the profile via the main app.

I will install profiles this way in the future, via the main app, thanks Florian.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by benjamin.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by benjamin.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS