TV Calibration on different Machine than source

Home Forums Help and Support TV Calibration on different Machine than source

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Delacroix
    Participant

Hi there,

I’ve got a pretty unique issue which I can’t wrap my head around. I’d like to calibrate my Samsung RU8009 LED TV with DisplayCAL. Currently I’m using two regular monitor screens in my office and my TV in my living room, all three connected to my PC in the office. The TV is connected via HDMI-CAT7 Ethernet extension over twenty five meters, and my input is extended through a seperate USB CAT7 extension plus an active USB3.1 hub.

This setup works flawlessly for video and audio, and my input devices manage just fine even though the USB extensions slows the bandwith down to USB1.1 standards.I even managed to “overclock” the TV to 1080p 120Hz (set up through the nVIDIA Driver). This overclocking is the reason most software cannot detect my used settings properly, hence defaulting most often to 4k 30Hz if I do not change the settings by hand.

When trying to calibrate the TV however, the slow USB1.1 connection from the USB-CAT7 extension prevents me from successfully connecting my Spyder5 Colorimeter. The TV is too far away for a regular USB extension (let alone a direct connection between PC and the colorimeter).
    I tried to connect the TV and colorimeter to a laptop, did a calibration and transfer the profile to my main machine however the results do not seem to be correct. The image is so dark that the blacks get heavily crushed. I suspect that the default image on my main machine is different than the one on my laptop (probably due to the nvidia overclocking, which is not available on my laptop). I’ve attached the profile which was made on my laptop.

Is there any other or better way to achieve a calibration in this scenario? I would really like to avoid having to untangle the machine from my desk just to calibrate the TV.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Delacroix.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

You can’t measure that panel with a Spyder 5. Spyder can’t read low enough into the black . That panel should be around 5500:1 contrast ratio. From that data you attached, it’s measuring 125:1, So,  Your video lvls are also incorrectly set, either on the samsung or the Laptop.

You need to set the samsung to PC mode. And have the laptop output RGB 444  FULL (0-255) .correctly setup, the spyder 5 should read ~2000-3000:1 contrast ratio. (even though that’s still clipping and an incorrect measurement)

If you don’t want to buy a new probe, You can use datacolor’s bundled software, but it attaches fake tail end data,  It will work though for general use..

If you’d like to calibrate that TV for real, you’ll need either the i1disp studio or disp pro or colormunki.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS