Totally new to screen calbration. Can’t decide which calibrator to buy ??

Home Forums Help and Support Totally new to screen calbration. Can’t decide which calibrator to buy ??

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Vincent
    Participant

Actually, they did not, read the tests. Correction = none, although uniformity is OK.
    That means that measurements on uncalibrated white ~6400K at 3-4dE to daylight locus (sligthly green or pink white) are not real. It may be a little off or very off from actual measurements. Without correction for an specific spectral power distribution, i1d3 measurements have an error, usually big in white point.

It’s a shame that a lot of reviewers do not know how to use an i1DisplayPro colorimeter.
    Also calibrated display report is somehow “fake”, they use a XYZLUT profile… as long as patch set is big enough almost all displays will verify OK after calibration & profiling, but that does not mean that display is “good” (that can be modeled with a matrix profile in an accurate way). When those fake reviewers do that, IDNK if they do it on purpose to say that displays are better than they are… or if it is just ignorance. Who knows…

Edit: anyway… keep in mind those hints everytime somebody shows you an i1DisplayPro report made with DIsplayCAL (or any other tool)=> first of all take a look on correction they used.
    For i1Pro/i1Studio spectrophotometers take a look on mode, it must be “high res” (3nm) , specially for those new widegamut led backlights like WLED PFS, otherwise red channel readings may be off.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Ankit
    Participant

thank you for that……maybe ill buy the calibrator seperately……

can you suggest me either i should go with ips or oled for images, graphics design & video editing ?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Ankit.

Vincent
    Participant

I’ll stay away from OLED unless OLED screen has no ABL or you can disable it. That feature is going to be a PITA when profiling.

Ankit
    Participant

Ok thanks for letting know. By the way i just purchased an IPS monitor & i was testing it for any flaws.

Was checking for black uniformity or back light bleed where IPS mostly suffer.

Checked it in somewhat dark room with little ambient light coming from a window. Attatching its picture.

Brightness was automatic to monitor set to calibrated SRGB mode.

Please kindly let know if the backlight bleed is alright, bad or good ??

I have 5 more days for any kind of replacement…..

Sorry…..Posted same picture twice…..

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Ankit.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Ankit.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

displays will verify OK after calibration & profiling, but that does not mean that display is “good” (that can be modeled with a matrix profile in an accurate way)

You’re right if we speak on technical design and usage of best supported curves-based profiles. But there’s no big difference in practice between curves and LUT-based profiles. Cause I have some printers, I always use LUT-based profiles here and I don’t find any inconvinience. There’re three differences:

1. Good math means easy correction, Eizo calibrates in 3 minutes by this reason, it looks like internal profile recalculation for new reference points. But iMac still shows quite rude results.
    2. 3DLUT is more slow way to recalculate values than one or three curves (note, three curves is “higher” standard for displays in old ICC paper, and it gets better results tha one curve, but DisplayCAL still does it wrong in some cases). This may be sensitive for some editing tools, while not critical for image ripping when printing.
    3. Curves allow to get better discretization in comparizon to typical 33x33x33 or better LUT. This provides better deep darks/highlights if your display has contrast flaws in those regions. But if you use calibrations curves with 3D LUT, the problem is solved.

2Ankit: Please, do 5×5/5×7 uniformity test (see screenshot) for non-uniformed and uniformed modes and attach here HTML report. Generally, there’s no need in good uniformity out of “working square” on the screen.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Ankit
    Participant

Thank you for your response.

Actually my pc build is not complete. I am testing my purchased monitor via HDMI 1.4 connected to laptop.

Can display cal measure uniformity for HDMI connected display too??

I am new to this software also never downloaded it…..i get the screenshot though…..

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Can display cal measure uniformity for HDMI connected display too?

There’s no difference what connection is used. Sometimes videocard outputs do not support calibration curves download, but uniformity test will work in any case.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

display is “good” (that can be modeled with a matrix profile in an accurate way)

There’re three differences:

Amendment: three differences where curves-based profiles are better than 3D LUT-based profiles. 3D LUT gains much better results in common case.

Ankit
    Participant

Will i need calibrator for this test ??

Since i dont have one…….

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS