Super obvious question about previous ICCs affecting calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Super obvious question about previous ICCs affecting calibration

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Ashcharls
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m pretty sure this is an embarrassingly obvious question or reveals some serious lack of knowledge/basic error on my part, but I’m working on a mac with an i1Display Studio and DELL Ultrasharp monitors.

The issue I am having is that my current ICC seems to be dramatically affecting the calibration. I’ve tried calibrating once, and that produced (what looked like) a warm tone. When I tried the calibration again, I had to change the RGB values on my monitor to get them back to the centre line at the initial measurement stage. During calibration, if I randomly switch ICCs I can see it affecting the patches. So any calibration I do seems to be compensating for the previous ICC based on the previous calibration. Am I missing a step at the start or end?

Thanks!

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

You shouldn’t change the ICC profile during the calibration process.

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

Are you Mac user?

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

No, but I do know that some calibration apps – like CC Profiler – apply a linear profile as part of the process.

If DisplayCAL does the same, then overriding it is going to result in an improper calibration.

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

Also, there a few things you should disable prior to calibrating a display plugged into a Mac:

Ashcharls
    Participant

Hi Kuba, thanks for the replies. Yes I’m on a mac with external displays. I was just changing the icc profile during calibration to see if it did anything (which it did). I’m not sure if Displaycal is applying a linear profile during calibration but that’s exactly what I need. I’m pretty sure the display is just staying on whichever ICC I had selected during calibration, which can’t be good.

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

Apparently DisplayCAL wipes your GPU’s LUT, as part of the calibration process, so there’s no need to manually change the color profile:

Dell UP2716D Calibration Settings

Алексей Коробов
    Participant

On Mac you have to set linear profile before calibration process. May be, the last DisplayCAL versions do not need it, but I always do this step. Mac can’t work without display ICC profiles at all, so you need to set dummy ICC before calibration process, or this step is done automatically in calibration software. Standard X-Rite linear profile is attached below. Of course, never change any setting during calibration process.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Ashcharls
    Participant

Thank you all for your help with this I really appreciate it!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS