SpyderX – self-calibration fails

Home Forums Help and Support SpyderX – self-calibration fails

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

EricXOB
    Participant

Instrument: Datacolor SpyderX
    DisplayCal version: 3.8.9.3
    ArgyllCMS version: 2.1.2

Tools > Instrument > Instrument self-calibration fails with

The instrument self-calibration offsets are too high. Make sure no light
    shines on the sensor during instrument self-calibration (put the cap on
    tightly).

I’m working in a dimly lit room and the cap is on tightly.

A log file is attached, with “Enable ArgyllCMS debugging output” enabled.

Thanks for any ideas!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The SpyderX will ask for sensor calibration whenever needed, there is no need to use the manual instrument calibration function.

chubbco
    Participant

Same problem. First time user of both Spyder X and DisplayCAL.

I can’t get past the “Place light-tight cap…” message. I cancel, I get pushed back to “Calibrate and Profile.” If I say OK, it dumps me back to the “offsets are too high…” message with only an “OK” possible.

Once it let me skip the calibration, but I don’t know how, and now not again.

JacobP
    Participant

I had the same issue as well. Covering the ambient light sensor and the lens cover when it calibrated worked for me. Hope that helps.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

When the instrument asks for self-calibration, the lens (and only the lens, ambient light sensor doesn’t matter) has to be covered, either with the cap attached, or anything else that blocks light completely.

HunnyBunny
    Participant

I have the same issue.  It doesn’t matter if the cap is on tight, or off and the lens on a mat black surface, I still get the same message.  I even tried placing the whole device, cap on, inside a black sock and it still tells me there’s too much light.

chubbco
    Participant

I appreciate Florian’s comments but both HunnyBunny and I have a problem that he’s not acknowledging or addressing.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

As always, attach logs.

EricXOB
    Participant

This problem happens whether I proceed with calibration or  choose Instrument > Instrument  self-calibration.  I need to use DisplayCAL because I want to calibrate a Linux system.  I was going to  return the instrument as defective, but I have now probably waited too long.

So, trying again, I covered the room light sensor with taped in place foil.  I left the front cover on.  I began a calibration run and got the same result:

The instrument self-calibration offsets are too high. Make sure no light
    shines on the sensor during instrument self-calibration (put the cap on
    tightly).

I have attached a log file (ArgyllCMS debugging on).

Thanks,

eo

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

spydX_BlackCal: offsets 0 -1 -1

Black calibration offsets from Argyll are negative, which is unexpected (and should not be possible). Is it very cold where you are? It might help warming up the instrument a bit.

EricXOB
    Participant

Ambient room temperature is 62 degrees F.  I don’t consider that “very cold.”

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The instrument is reading a lower black level than initially, which either means the display auto-dims, or the instrument looses temperature.

EricXOB
    Participant

Hmm.  The instrument was not on the display when I received the error message.  I was on my desk, with the cover installed as directed.  It seems to me that 60 degrees Fahrenheit should not be “too low” a temperature for the device to operate successfully.  Eh?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That doesn’t matter. The self-calibration isn’t supposed to give negative offsets. Sorry, there’s nothing I can do.

EricXOB
    Participant

Thanks.

So, does this problem (behavior) seem to come from Argyll ?

And hey!  Other poster with this problem… post a log so we can see what’s in there!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS