Something Wrong | Initial RGB adjustments

Home Forums Help and Support Something Wrong | Initial RGB adjustments

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Tzalam
    Participant

Why the software makes the screen GREEN to begin the calibration by matching the three bars?

I adjusted the channels from the monitor RGB controls and the result is to start with a well GREEN screen.

The instrument I am using is the EYE ONE Display LT from  Gretagmacbeth

THanks

• This topic was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Tzalam.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Patrick1978
    Participant

First off what white point are you trying to calibrate to?  The target white point shown in your screenshot is quite a ways off from D65.

Secondly that colorimeter is quite old and has filters that are known to degrade over time.  They were also tuned for the spectral response of CRT’s and CFFL backlit LCD’s so not at all a good match for current back light tech.   It may still be usable if you can get access to a spectrometer so you can create a correction for your colorimeter + display combo.

Tzalam
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. The last target I tried was Photo D50 Gamma 2.2

But earlier I also tried D65 (Office & Web) and to reach the three bars on the same value the adjustments for the RGB was to lower Blue and Red.

I am suprised that the screen capture did NOT record the greenish cast ! I have now the RGB adjusted by eye —having them almost similar values in the monitor controls— and the screenshot looks “balanced” I would say pure white.

I suspect that the cause could be the i1 Display LT. I have it since 2005. But in last January I did a calibration and did not have this issue of matching the three bars and having a greenish  look.

I may need to purchase a new and more advanced device. My main monitor is IPS Benq PD2700u. Thanks

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Tzalam.

Roger Breton
    Participant

I once ran into a similar situation, with a Spyder device. My screen was “pink” overall. There’s nothing wrong with D50 white point calibration but it’s anything but “green”. You may need to get a new unit…

Tzalam
    Participant

Thank you.

Tzalam
    Participant

However there is still something I do not understand !

Here two screen captures with DIFFERENT RGB adjustments and they look the same ?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Roger Breton
    Participant

Ah! They *may* look the same, visually, to YOU, but not necessarily to ME or someone else. Are the two screen captures from two different monitors?

Tzalam
    Participant

Not from different ones, they are from the same monitor.

Patrick1978
    Participant

Screen captures are taken on the computer before the image is sent to the monitor.  Changes to the monitors setting can’t effect them.

If you want to show what you’re seeing you need to take an actual photo of the screen.  Preferably with manual exposure and white point so it doesn’t auto adjust out any subtle difference.

Roger Breton
    Participant

You may have the impression that you are seeing the same “visual appearance” but the measured chromaticities are different from each other? I won’t bother calculating the difference magnitude but it is clear, from the measurements, that your instrument does not see the two “RGB adjustments” the same.

Vincent
    Participant

I suspect that the cause could be the i1 Display LT. I have it since 2005. But in last January I did a calibration and did not have this issue of matching the three bars and having a greenish  look.

I may need to purchase a new and more advanced device. My main monitor is IPS Benq PD2700u. Thanks

Get an i1d3 from Xrite/Calibrite. ~170 euro i1d3 are renamed color munki display, accurate but slower and won’t work with monitors with HW calibration… so if you plan to get a moniytor with HW cal in next…. 15 years, buy the “pro” or “plus” i1d3, same if you are young to use >1000 mesurement patches because speed.
    Spectral correction for that benq es White LED.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Tzalam
    Participant

Thank you. Can you please clarify for me what is HW calibration?

Saludos

Roger Breton
    Participant

Easy! You have to have a monitor with “built-in” memory (EEPROM) to hold the calibration values.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Roger Breton.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS