SmartTV color settings – greyed out

Home Forums Help and Support SmartTV color settings – greyed out

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

pyron
    Participant

I’m trying to calibrate a Samsung 6640H HDTV with a Spyder3 colorimeter. It natively runs at 60Hz when in PC mode but many TV settings are greyed out in this mode.

I would like to calibrate and profile it mainly for gaming. For madVR instead I did it by creating a 23p modeline for it and playing a movie to enter TV 24Hz mode. Doing this enables the Warm temperature settings and RGB offset/gain sliders.

What’s the current course of action in this situation? Blue light by default is too strong but I’m unable to find any related color setting that it’s not greyed out.

By the way: should I separate the Spyder from the TV screen or is ok to have it in contact with the panel?

• This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by pyron.
    • This topic was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by pyron.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Yup, samsung’s support as a monitor is not as good as other platforms.
    It doesn’t allow PC 4:4:4 mode in 23/24hz, only the 60hz. The detailed white point editor is also not available in the 60hz pc mode.
    The best you can do within the sams platform is set it to nearly the correct white point, and let the software correct the rest. Make sure your hdmi black level setting is correct for PC.
    Be aware that the whitepoint fluctuates on samsung sets, they have some sort of either temperature or ambient sensitive auto tuner which can’t be disabled. So you will always get some fluctuation. This doesn’t affect general performance, but for example you wouldn’t try to color grade on one.
    If you’re using a samsung va-panel tv, you also can not use the spyder 3/5/x. You must purchase either the colormunki display or the i1dis pro.

i1Display Studio on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

pyron
    Participant

Even current Samsung TVs? That’s disappointing because the microLED tech looks promising, yet Samsung should support Dolby Vision to really pique my interest.
    I can enter factory settings if the fluctuating white point option can be disabled there, I’m not comfortable doing it but did before to disable tracking and a few more options.

I can’t afford an i1D Pro now as I just finished to setup the HiFi equipment, but it’s something I will keep in mind, meanwhile getting in the ballpark was what I cared most. By the way are there any TVs that can load profiles from an USB or something, just curious, so it would also work for watching TV and whatnot.

I managed to calibrate and profile for both madVR (Rec.709) and Windows (60Hz) system wide. Calibration for madVR (24Hz mode) was harder but verification resulted much better. But that’s because I didn’t care to green light the measurement RGB bars, the trick and this is something I recommend for other people is to adjust white point WHILE observing greyscale temperature on the side, without doing this I was getting bright greys shifted to red which is something many people complain about.

For Windows (60Hz mode) I used Warm 1 instead of Warm 2, calibrated and profiled to sRGB 2.2 on a dark surround (should have been 2.4?) HDMI black level to Full (0-255 as in nvidia settings) and that pretty much aligned the white point RGB bars without adjusting the RGB gain/offset sliders. I don’t know why but this time it didn’t grey out the options. The results were disappointing but I was using again only 79 patches because anything longer and the process fails at the end with the famous error: “Profile has not been finished”. I think DisplayCAL might not be preventing the probe to enter sleep mode or something.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

The spyder can not read low enough to do VA-panel samsung TVs. Even the spyder 5 will generate deadspots. The colormunki display is usually $150, and goes on sale for ~$100 during holidays. It works just as good as i1dpro for the purpose of movies.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS