Samsung QLED TV calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Samsung QLED TV calibration

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Lappen
    Participant

Wow. I have a Samsung qled and there’s no way those settings are correct. Are you set to warm2?

No I use the standard setting. But warm2 is only a bit less warm than what I have here. I am also very sure my settings are correct because now it looks like 6500K and not like 8000K with a purple tint.

Or what do you mean exactly?

Lappen
    Participant

Even if you are in the wrong tv mode and wrong color tempature in the tv on my vizio v555-j01 series  normal color temp works good and the warm color temp.   But adding that much red and green offset is not good.   Offsets should be checked with hcfr for clipping.  I cant go more than 12 positive on the -100 to +100 without red clipping.   I would keep the green offset on 0 .   Blue is not that much important in white brightness it just effects the color temperature like red does to but red is close to being a white brightness effector.     I use normal temp since the warm color temp clipped red at 0 even.   Going less than 0 will decrease contrast but that is not important when your near 1000 and not getting full scale color .   Wierd your haveing problems with blue not going bright enough must be the tv wanting offsets not that high.   I am guesing what the tv needs.

I didn’t test it with HCFR but I am very sure the descriptions of the TV are just wrong.
    There is no positive offset or gain, just negative.
    Everything at 0 is the highest you can have.
    So +5 R means -5 B and -5 G for example.

Old Man
    Participant

I’d start at warm2 and adjust from there. That will make it so your adjustments don’t have to be so extreme. I don’t know if it makes a difference though.

You’re right that these Samsung QLEDs behave different than other TVs like the vizio though. The offsets *do* affect gamma (so there are positive offsets), but I use this to my advantage. The gains, on the other hand, behave like you describe and don’t seem to be capable of causing clipping. All the conventional wisdom about not touching green or only reducing gain seems to be ignorable on these TVs

Ben
    Participant

I got gains and offsets confused.   Gains is what I mean to adjust the white point.  Offsets effect the black level.

Old Man
    Participant

Yep, and on these Samsung QLEDs, *offset* (black) acts classically. Gain (white) auto equalizes. At least as far as I can tell

Lappen
    Participant

Yep, and on these Samsung QLEDs, *offset* (black) acts classically. Gain (white) auto equalizes. At least as far as I can tell

I had warm2 with like -10 B before and the result was the same, so it also equalizes this.
    And the offsets are probably like you say, a classical way to adjust gamma.
    But I tried only positive offsets because the gamma is already way too dark on the darkest colors and my Calibrite Display SL already struggles with them, despite setting gamma to 2.2 from TV standard 2.4.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Lappen
    Participant

I found the real solution to this.
    It is a firmware bug.
    Depending on the country and time one downloads the firmware it can be different.
    For me this was what worked:
    factory reset => get the right EDID => factory reset => find the best settings and note them down => factory reset => only set up the noted settings
    It seems that the TV uses different profiles and the settings overlap and stack with other profiles.

I knew that Samsung devices most times gets memory leaks and random bugs with updates but I had to because of some HDMI sound bug.
    Don’t update if you don’t have to.

Old Man
    Participant

Yes. Definitely don’t update if you don’t have to with these TVs. On mine, if you hard reset, you have to switch source to antenna/cable and back before the controls work properly. This TV is a nightmare 😞😭

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS