Same monitor, same profile, different machines equal different color rendering

Home Forums Help and Support Same monitor, same profile, different machines equal different color rendering

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

rfgamaral
    Participant

Hi there,

I’ve used DisplayCAL on my home monitor with my main PC (connected through DisplayPort) and everything is great. Now, working remotely I have my work laptop connected to my home monitor too (through HDMI). I’ve copied all the DisplayCAL calibration files from my PC to my work laptop and applied the profile to the same monitor. However, the color rendering is slightly different depending on which machine I’m using connected to my home monitor.

Is the profile not compatible this way? Could the difference be in the different types of cables used for each machine? Is there anyway to better match color rendering between both machines without calibrating again?

Thanks and stay safe.

Vincent
    Participant

a ) range mismatch in HDMI, check it
    b ) some monitors keep diferent OSD memories for each input, check it. You should set the same  setting you used in that monitor in its DP input for its own HDMI input
    c ) slight grey color variations can be a GPU driver issue (truncation) on some models.

There may be other sources but I’d check these first.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Run the verification and post the reports

rfgamaral
    Participant

a ) range mismatch in HDMI, check it
    b ) some monitors keep diferent OSD memories for each input, check it. You should set the same  setting you used in that monitor in its DP input for its own HDMI input
    c ) slight grey color variations can be a GPU driver issue (truncation) on some models.

There may be other sources but I’d check these first.

a) Full on both.
    b) It uses a single OSD configuration for all inputs
    c) Is there a way to check that?

rfgamaral
    Participant

Run the verification and post the reports

Doesn’t that need a calibration device?

Because I used a borrowed one and I don’t have it with me (nor I’ll be able to borrow it again for the time being).

Vincent
    Participant

c) R, G & B 255 should be equal in MS paint grey gradient like lagom lcd test gradient when opened in MS paint may show different issues.

Vincent
    Participant

However, the color rendering is slightly different depending on which machine I’m using connected to my home monitor.

Also keep in mind that your description is too generic for a better diagnosis. Try to describe it in a more detailed way if you have no access to a measurement device

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Vincent.

rfgamaral
    Participant

However, the color rendering is slightly different depending on which machine I’m using connected to my home monitor.

Also keep in mind that your description is too generic for a better diagnosis. Try to describe it in a more detailed way if you have no access to a measurement device

The colors are slightly washed out when the laptop is connected to my LG monitor compared to my PC when connected to the same LG monitor which are slightly more saturated (which look great because it’s the machine I used with the calibration device when I still had it).

Vincent
    Participant

The colors are slightly washed out when the laptop is connected to my LG monitor compared to my PC when connected to the same LG monitor which are slightly more saturated (which look great because it’s the machine I used with the calibration device when I still had it).

Where? MS paint? Keep in mind that default W10 photo viewr is not color managed (Win Photos) but older photo viewer is partially color managed. If laptop has an older win OS with old win photo viewer you may see things color managed while in W10 without restoring older photo viewer you won’t.

rfgamaral
    Participant

No, I’m actually using Firefox for testing and I have both properly configured to handle color profiles.

Vincent
    Participant

Test first if full saturation R G & B non color managed patches look equal through both inputs. MS paint is the easiest way.
    If they do not look equal there is something else like some limited or resctricted gamut mode in OSD, sRGB emulation in GPU (from EDID data like in some AMDs), some weird config in iGPU…

rfgamaral
    Participant

Test first if full saturation R G & B non color managed patches look equal through both inputs. MS paint is the easiest way.

They look the same to me 🙂

Vincent
    Participant

If you enabled full color management in Firefox test those 255 R, G & B patches there. Maybe there is different configuration on both Firefox.

If thas does not show easy to spot misconfiguration in your Firefox you’ll need to measure as other user said.

rfgamaral
    Participant

Firefox configuration is pretty straightforward: https://cameratico.com/guides/firefox-color-management/

I have:

• gfx.color_management.mode=1
    • gfx.color_management.enablev4=true

In both machines.

If thas does not show easy to spot misconfiguration in your Firefox you’ll need to measure as other user said.

Yeah, I guess this is my only choice but I don’t have access to the calibration tool for the moment so I’ll just have to live with it. It’s still better than without calibration, so, not everything is bad.

Thank you so much for your help and stay safe.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS