Regarding the Issue of Inaccurate Calibration Results.

Home Forums Help and Support Regarding the Issue of Inaccurate Calibration Results.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

chevHadow
    Participant

First of all, I want to express my gratitude for your efforts and those of the author of ArgyllCMS.

I recently purchased an ASUS PG32UQ monitor, which features a quantum dot film backlight and covers 160% of the sRGB color space, making it a wide-gamut display. The out-of-the-box SDR mode on this monitor is very oversaturated, prompting me to explore how to calibrate it correctly.

I bought a second-hand SPYDER 5 EXPRESS and used its software for calibration, but the results were disappointing.

I started learning how to calibrate properly, and after reading a lot of material, I have a rough understanding of how to use DisplayCal to calibrate this monitor to a target color temperature, create icc profile, generate a 3DLUT for mapping from the device’s color space to the SRGB PCS, and apply it in the dwm_lut in Windows 10. However, I still feel that the results are not quite accurate enough.

Here are my questions:

1. I imported the colorimeter calibration file from the Spyder 5 software and used the “LCD RGB LED” measurement mode (based on some search results). Was this choice incorrect, and should I use the ccss file for this monitor from DisplayCal database as the colorimeter calibration file for a more accurate calibration? (My understanding: the colorimeter calibration file imported from Spyder 5 software as the baseline for the colorimeter, and combining it with the backlight spectral data ccss file to get the correct result.)

2. The PG32UQ claims to cover 98% of the DCI-P3 color space, but after multiple calibrations, the maximum I could achieve was 89% coverage.

3. Should I consider purchasing a new colorimeter to obtain accurate calibration results, as Spyder 5 may not be able to measure such a wide-gamut display? For example, the ColorChecker Calibrate Display Plus HL.

I appreciate any assistance you can provide!

Vincent
    Participant

First of all, I want to express my gratitude for your efforts and those of the author of ArgyllCMS.

I recently purchased an ASUS PG32UQ monitor, which features a quantum dot film backlight and covers 160% of the sRGB color space, making it a wide-gamut display. The out-of-the-box SDR mode on this monitor is very oversaturated, prompting me to explore how to calibrate it correctly.

It is not (may be not) uncalibrated, you are using it non color managed. That’s all.

I bought a second-hand SPYDER 5 EXPRESS and used its software for calibration, but the results were disappointing.

Very innacurate device, a paperweight.

I started learning how to calibrate properly, and after reading a lot of material, I have a rough understanding of how to use DisplayCal to calibrate this monitor to a target color temperature, create icc profile, generate a 3DLUT for mapping from the device’s color space to the SRGB PCS, and apply it in the dwm_lut in Windows 10. However, I still feel that the results are not quite accurate enough.

Why do you want limit it to sRGB? to what purpose? which apps do you  need to use?

Depending on that answers you may want to limit to sRGB or just use color management. For example Adobe suite (PS, LR, Premiere) are color managed and it’s pointless to use it limited to sRGB.

Here are my questions:

1. I imported the colorimeter calibration file from the Spyder 5 software and used the “LCD RGB LED” measurement mode (based on some search results). Was this choice incorrect, and should I use the ccss file for this monitor from DisplayCal database as the colorimeter calibration file for a more accurate calibration? (My understanding: the colorimeter calibration file imported from Spyder 5 software as the baseline for the colorimeter, and combining it with the backlight spectral data ccss file to get the correct result.)

it’s a very innacurate device, so use built in RGB LED mode, calibrate white visually instead to calibrate to numerically D65 and use relative colorimetric as intent.
    Once you fix visually white due to the expected innaccuracy of spyder5, set measured white as target white and DIsplayCAL will calibrate greyscale to have the same color of that white.

Get an i1d3 if ypu plan to calibrate that display, waste of time otherwise.

2. The PG32UQ claims to cover 98% of the DCI-P3 color space, but after multiple calibrations, the maximum I could achieve was 89% coverage.

innacurate measurement device, also do not bother too much with %. Bother to search “where” are the OOG colors.

3. Should I consider purchasing a new colorimeter to obtain accurate calibration results, as Spyder 5 may not be able to measure such a wide-gamut display? For example, the ColorChecker Calibrate Display Plus HL.

Yes.

I appreciate any assistance you can provide!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

chevHadow
    Participant

Why do you want limit it to sRGB? to what purpose? which apps do you  need to use?

Thank you very much for your reply !

I use Windows 10. The reason I limit the color space to sRGB is because I programming on this computer. Since switching to this monitor, the code editor rendering text  over-saturated, especially the red parts. If I don’t use dwm_lut and only use Displaycal Profile Loader to load the ICC file, software on Windows 10 that doesn’t support color management won’t use the ICC for full calibration, only 1DLUT gamma calibration, because the 1DLUT is loaded into the GPU (please correct me if I’m wrong).

Depending on that answers you may want to limit to sRGB or just use color management. For example Adobe suite (PS, LR, Premiere) are color managed and it’s pointless to use it limited to sRGB.

As you mentioned, software like PS, LR, Premiere are color managed and they will use the calibration information from the ICC profile. But if I’m using some unfamiliar software, how do I know it is color managed software? I came across a method that involves creating an ICC with a deliberately incorrect data (e.g., RGB->BGR) and use DisplayCal Profile Loader to loaded it. If  the software colors are completely wrong, then it can be confirmed that the program supports full color management. However, I’m not sure how to create that deliberately incorrect data ICC. Do I need to manually edit the content of the ICC file? Or can it be generated through DisplayCal? Or perhaps the information I found is entirely incorrect.

it’s a very innacurate device, so use built in RGB LED mode, calibrate white visually instead to calibrate to numerically D65 and use relative colorimetric as intent.
    Once you fix visually white due to the expected innaccuracy of spyder5, set measured white as target white and DIsplayCAL will calibrate greyscale to have the same color of that white.

Thank you for providing this method! I have purchased the new colorimeter “Colorchecker Calibrate Display Plus HL,” and I will try your method to calibrate the new monitor to the same level as the old one before the new colorimeter arrives.

Vincent
    Participant

Thank you very much for your reply !

I use Windows 10. The reason I limit the color space to sRGB is because I programming on this computer. Since switching to this monitor, the code editor rendering text  over-saturated, especially the red parts. If I don’t use dwm_lut and only use Displaycal Profile Loader to load the ICC file, software on Windows 10 that doesn’t support color management won’t use the ICC for full calibration, only 1DLUT gamma calibration, because the 1DLUT is loaded into the GPU (please correct me if I’m wrong).

another options is to use specific gpu solutions : AMD driver (built in sRGB simulation) or novideosRGB because it’s a few clicks.

As you mentioned, software like PS, LR, Premiere are color managed and they will use the calibration information from the ICC profile. But if I’m using some unfamiliar software, how do I know it is color managed software? I came across a method that involves creating an ICC with a deliberately incorrect data (e.g., RGB->BGR) and use DisplayCal Profile Loader to loaded it. If  the software colors are completely wrong, then it can be confirmed that the program supports full color management. However, I’m not sure how to create that deliberately incorrect data ICC. Do I need to manually edit the content of the ICC file? Or can it be generated through DisplayCal? Or perhaps the information I found is entirely incorrect.

Usually you want to use the simpler approach for well behaved displays: matrix + single curve, because of the rounding errors in some software

Thank you for providing this method! I have purchased the new colorimeter “Colorchecker Calibrate Display Plus HL,” and I will try your method to calibrate the new monitor to the same level as the old one before the new colorimeter arrives.

for spyder5 , modify a numerical match to D65 till you get something that looks D65 and since you are using a numerical alternative to D65 use relative colorimetric if you want LUT3D

chevHadow
    Participant

for spyder5 , modify a numerical match to D65 till you get something that looks D65 and since you are using a numerical alternative to D65 use relative colorimetric if you want LUT3D

Hi Vincent, thank you for your response and apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I’ve been studying and practicing color management to keep up with the progress.

Here’s what happened since our last conversation:

I attempted to update to Argyll_V3.0.2 and installed the Argyll driver for Spyder5 in Windows 10 safe mode. However, DisplayCal showed an error and couldn’t start calibration. So, I reverted to Argyll_V2.3.1 that DisplayCal automatically downloaded.
    Q: Is Argyll_V3.0.2 incompatible with DisplayCal?

Following your instructions, I used Spyder5 to visually match the white point and calibrated the grayscale and gamma curves for PG32UQ. The calibration results for neutral colors were good, but when applying the 3DLUT to sRGB by using dwm_Lut, there were color display errors (I observed blues turning purple). I have a question about this result –
    Q: does this visually match the white point function only enhance human visual perception, while the data in the actual ICC profile generated is incorrect? And this error make the 3DLUT color space transformation failed?

I returned the PG32UQ due to poor screen brightness and color temperature uniformity. I purchased a new MSI MAG323UPF, a recently released wide-gamut monitor. Additionally, I received the i1 Display Plus HL! I used it with the ccss correction from the online database on my old monitor, and the results were satisfying!

However, I can’t find a ccss file for the new monitor (MAG323UPF), and I don’t know the backlight type. Since it shares the same AUO2.9 panel as the ASUS XG32UQ, I assume it’s a KSF backlight. After researching KSF backlight, I found it is a spectrum composed of partial short waves.
    Q: For this type of backlight, is it impossible to generate a correct monitor configuration file without the correct ccss file?

Q: The information I found suggests that using i1 Pro/i1 Pro 2 with DisplayCal can generate backlight ccss files. I’ve rented a 2016-manufactured i1 Pro 2, and it will arrive soon. I understand that using the “Create colorimeter correction…” window in DisplayCal can generate ccss files. Since I’m renting it by the day, is there anything else I need to prepare in advance for generating ccss quickly?

chevHadow
    Participant

Q: does this visually match the white point function only enhance human visual perception, while the data in the actual ICC profile generated is incorrect? And this error make the 3DLUT color space transformation failed?

It is my mistake, I forgot that my old monitor also had a wider range than the srgb color gamut, and when I used dwm_lut on both monitor, both color seems equal now. But I still have this question. Is that icc profile incorrect but only enhance human visual perception?

chevHadow
    Participant

Thank you for your assistance. Even without the i1 Pro 2, I have achieved my initial goal of calibrating the two monitors to the same color level without oversaturation. With this issue resolved, I can now contemplate the remaining issues on my own. Once again, I appreciate your help, and I wish you all the best.

Vincent
    Participant

Hi Vincent, thank you for your response and apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I’ve been studying and practicing color management to keep up with the progress.

Here’s what happened since our last conversation:

I attempted to update to Argyll_V3.0.2 and installed the Argyll driver for Spyder5 in Windows 10 safe mode. However, DisplayCal showed an error and couldn’t start calibration. So, I reverted to Argyll_V2.3.1 that DisplayCal automatically downloaded.
    Q: Is Argyll_V3.0.2 incompatible with DisplayCal?

Signed USB driver is in v3.0.0

Following your instructions, I used Spyder5 to visually match the white point and calibrated the grayscale and gamma curves for PG32UQ. The calibration results for neutral colors were good, but when applying the 3DLUT to sRGB by using dwm_Lut, there were color display errors (I observed blues turning purple). I have a question about this result –

I returned the PG32UQ due to poor screen brightness and color temperature uniformity. I purchased a new MSI MAG323UPF, a recently released wide-gamut monitor. Additionally, I received the i1 Display Plus HL! I used it with the ccss correction from the online database on my old monitor, and the results were satisfying!

However, I can’t find a ccss file for the new monitor (MAG323UPF), and I don’t know the backlight type. Since it shares the same AUO2.9 panel as the ASUS XG32UQ, I assume it’s a KSF backlight. After researching KSF backlight, I found it is a spectrum composed of partial short waves.
    Q: For this type of backlight, is it impossible to generate a correct monitor configuration file without the correct ccss file?

Bundled set of corrections include 3 differet type of PSF/KFS:

almost P3 (VVX Panasonic) -> typical of multimedia displays
    P3 (macbook retina)
    AdobeRGB+ P3 (HP Z24X G2)

Q: The information I found suggests that using i1 Pro/i1 Pro 2 with DisplayCal can generate backlight ccss files. I’ve rented a 2016-manufactured i1 Pro 2, and it will arrive soon. I understand that using the “Create colorimeter correction…” window in DisplayCal can generate ccss files. Since I’m renting it by the day, is there anything else I need to prepare in advance for generating ccss quickly?

i1Pro2 needs USB driver.

chevHadow
    Participant

Thanks, i1 pro 2 now arrived.  I’ll make an ccss file for this monitor and upload the ccss file to DisplayCal database.

Vincent
    Participant

SirMaster
    Participant

3.0.0 Signed
    http://displaycal.net/Argyll/Argyll_V3.0.0_USB_driver_installer.exe.zip

Where do these new versions come from?

Is Florian making them still?

Wonder if we will get a new one for V3.1.0

Vincent
    Participant

3.0.0 Signed
    http://displaycal.net/Argyll/Argyll_V3.0.0_USB_driver_installer.exe.zip

Where do these new versions come from?

Is Florian making them still?

Look at the digital signature, it’s from Florian

Wonder if we will get a new one for V3.1.0

There is no change. The reason to have a v3 is because :
    -certificate valid now to 2024 instead 2019
    -i1Pro3, maybe Spyder and removing i1d3 since it’s a HID.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Vincent.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS