Question about support of Globell Color calibrator

Home Forums Help and Support Question about support of Globell Color calibrator

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Andrii Radevych
    Participant

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year for all your great team!

Are you planning to add not so long time released Globell Color calibrator, to the list of the supported devices? I have one  just in case if you need me to provide any information – to make it possible to use with you amazing calibration software.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

thanks for the kind wishes, all the best to you, too.

Are you planning to add not so long time released Globell Color calibrator, to the list of the supported devices?

Unfortunately, it’s unlikely at this point, as the company that developed the device has apparently filed bankruptcy. It is an interesting device though, and should support appear in ArgyllCMS, then DisplayCAL would support it as well.

Andrii Radevych
    Participant

Thank for your good wishes, Florian!

Is there anything I can do – to provide you required information to add the Globell Color calibrator to the list of yours supported tools? As I said I have one  with me and will be more then happy to do anything I can for make it to be supported with your amazing software.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You can ask Graeme, the developer of ArgyllCMS.

Andrii Radevych
    Participant

Thank you a lot, Florian! Could you please share with me a contact data of Graeme? Email or Social Network profile, so I can ask him regarding this matter. Thank you in advance!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You can find contact information at https://argyllcms.com

Andrii Radevych
    Participant

Thank you a lot, Florian!

Andrii Radevych
    Participant

Chatting with Graeme for about a week and it doesn’t seems that he have any interest of making a driver for Globell Color, which is unfortunate, but obviuos.
    Now I’m trying to reach any person, who was in Globell Color team, with a purpose of to get at least working copy of original software, whych is not requiring activation for it’s work or at least some technical details, which might be usefull for the software developers, who will agreed to work on Globell Color driver.
    Now the situation with this device is quite sad. The only one software, which is supporting it – it’s original software, but it’s requiring “activation”…which is not working anymore because the servers of the company are closed forever. I just got an official answer from the former worker of that company. So, the people who purchased that device and was able to received their copy (and not all of them received it) can not used it “full power”, cause the software can not be activated. Fortunately for us, the developers made a trial period for the original software and I was able to find – how to reset this period at least. But in trial period there is no chance to save .icc profile, that were created during calibration. It stays as long as the trial period goes. Another words with current “setup” and permanent solution of “trial resetting” my device and software works like this: I’m doing calibration, can’t save the profile, but it’s stays active for all trial period, and applying by oiriginal software, which is working on a background. Fortunately it’s not resetting after rebooting of the PC and stay always until the end of the trial, but if the trial will be reseted – it’ll stays forever basically. So at least there is a chance for all owners – to have one working profile with “unlimited trial period” of the software.
    And this is very sad, that no one so far is not interested to support this device with its own software, cause it is only a chance to keep Globell Color calibrator alive. With such a limited amount of units, that were finally produced, it became unique equipment, which can give you unique result, which might be far better that all current solutions…or not)
    I think all of the current owners of this device will be extremely happy if someone is gonna find a chance to work on the driver for it – to keep it’s live cycle goes further then 1 unfortunate year of it’s production…DisplayCal or any other free software – is the only chance to survive for this device…

Florian Höch
    Administrator

But in trial period there is no chance to save .icc profile, that were created during calibration. It stays as long as the trial period goes.

The only way that color managed applications can make use of a display profile is if it’s installed and assigned to the respective display (via Windows color management settings -> devices or the DisplayCAL profile loader). Installing requires physically saving the profile to disk (%SystemRoot%\system32\spool\drivers\color\<filename.icm>), so likely you’re only observing the effect of applied calibration via the videoLUT (which is technically independent from the profile). Otherwise, you may be able to grab the profile from the mentioned location and make a backup copy.

I think all of the current owners of this device will be extremely happy if someone is gonna find a chance to work on the driver for it

As I said, I think it’s unlikely, simply because the “value proposition” for such a (nontrivial) task is quite low – there are only a few of these instruments (compared to other brands) in circulation, so unless someone who actually owns the device “puts their money where their mouth is”, so to speak, and actually invests the time and resources needed to reverse-engineer a driver (remember, the spirit of open source is not necessarily that it’s often available free of charge for the end user, but that the actual source code can be obtained and added upon by anyone willing and capable to do so), I wouldn’t have high hopes for any progress in that direction.

Andrii Radevych
    Participant

Installing requires physically saving the profile to disk (%SystemRoot%\system32\spool\driv ers\color\<filename.icm>), so likely you’re only observing the effect of applied calibration via the videoLUT (which is technically independent from the profile). Otherwise, you may be able to grab the profile from the mentioned location and make a backup copy.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, Florian! In fact I’m a Mac user) Do you have any idea – where that profile might be stored in Mac OS?

As I said, I think it’s unlikely, simply because the “value proposition” for such a (nontrivial) task is quite low – there are only a few of these instruments (compared to other brands) in circulation, so unless someone who actually owns the device “puts their money where their mouth is”, so to speak, and actually invests the time and resources needed to reverse-engineer a driver (remember, the spirit of open source is not necessarily that it’s often available free of charge for the end user, but that the actual source code can be obtained and added upon by anyone willing and capable to do so), I wouldn’t have high hopes for any progress in that direction.

Completely understand it and have nothing to say against. Every kind of work needs to be well payed, but who knows – maybe once some enthusiast owner of the Globell Color device might go further with his software engineering experiments, then pure expectations) Unfortunately Globell Color company left nothing for the owner of their devices except Calibrator and hope)

Florian Höch
    Administrator

where that profile might be stored in Mac OS?

/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

or (more likely)

/Users/<Your Username>/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

Andrii Radevych
    Participant

/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

or (more likely)

/Users/<Your Username>/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

Thanx a lot for your help and effort,  Florian! Unfortunately it doesnt seems, that Globell Color software is storring thwe profile anywere( I tried both of the locations you suggested,  but there is no any new .icc profiles, except ones I had before. I also tried to search anywhere else with key words “.icc”, but with no sucess also.

There is “Globell” folder iside of the ColorSync/Profiles/  path, but it is empty. Also, the profile becomes active (after I’m starting Mac) only after the Globell Color software start working in a background in my system tray. Do you have any other ideas?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

There is “Globell” folder iside of the ColorSync/Profiles/ path, but it is empty.

Check for hidden files using a terminal and ls -la <path>

Andrii Radevych
    Participant

Thank you a lot, but already checked it and there is no hidden files

Oliver Scheffer
    Participant

Hello!

Just to add my 2 cents: I’ve just tried, activation is still possible. Nonetheless, I’d really like to have an alternative to the original software.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS