Problem Since 1903 Update (AMD Radeon)

Home Forums Help and Support Problem Since 1903 Update (AMD Radeon)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Litzner
    Participant

The timing could be coincidence, but I have a colored screen problem since the 1903 update got pushed to me. Shortly after login (never before, nor ever in the bios), and often when I launch a full-screen exclusive game, both of my monitors will change to almost a solid color. The color can range from purple\blue\red\yellow\green, and sometimes everything just changes to a lighter shade, like you cranked up the gamma. If I Win+P and swap monitors, or change modes (extended\duplicated) I can sometimes make it go away. It seems to happen a little less often if I am not running dual monitors. This happens usually at idle, putting the video card under a load seems to have little effect. If I stop DisplayCal from loading ICC profiles the problem will change, but not go away. When DisplayCal stops loading, I will no longer get the colored screen at random, I will instead just get the gamma washed out screen.

I have re-installed windows, re-installed DisplayCal, DDUed\re-installed and rolled back my video drivers (19.6.3\19.7.1), and played with just about everything I can think of to help remedy this problem and I am at a loss right now.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Florian Höch. Reason: Added AMD Radeon to title

Litzner
    Participant

I have tried to install KB4501375, but it tells me that it is not for me.

Litzner
    Participant

The problem seems to have reduced in frequency, but not fully gone away after disabling Fast Boot.

Litzner
    Participant

Well I think I may have solved the problem.

In “Color Management” under the “Advanced” tab there is an option “Viewing conditions profile”. Mine was set to “WCS profile for sRGB viewing conditions”, I changed that to “WCS profile for ICC viewing conditions” and I haven’t been able to reproduce the problem, my screen has stopped changing colors at random!

Litzner
    Participant

Nevermind, I had thought I had fixed it, then I updated my video drivers and fired up a game and boom, the problem has returned.

Litzner
    Participant

It is definitely something with the ICC color profiles and 1903, and not necessarily anything to do with DisplayCal. When I have the problem if I remove the default profile and re-add it the problem will go away immediately without swapping resolutions\dis-re-connecting the monitor\Win+P screen swap.

hinterlufer
    Participant

I do have the same problem. I can reproduce it by clicking on the “install” button in DisplayCAL and the selected monitor (i have two) will become blue/green/whatever.

Only thing that worked for me so far is to disable DisplayCAL from starting with Windows and select the color profile in the display settings within windows but that’s not really a solution.

When I have the problem if I remove the default profile and re-add it the problem will go away immediately

Where do you do that? I’m new to DisplayCAL.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Only thing that worked for me so far is to disable DisplayCAL from starting with Windows and select the color profile in the display settings within windows but that’s not really a solution.

DisplayCAL doesn’t start with Windows unless you have added it manually. Only the profile loader which applies calibration launches at login. Note that if you disable the profile loader, calibration will no longer be loaded. You can use the Windows-internal calibration loader instead, but it has some drawbacks (accuracy, banding, doesn’t restore the calibration when it gets unloaded by an external program).

hinterlufer
    Participant

DisplayCAL doesn’t start with Windows unless you have added it manually. Only the profile loader which applies calibration launches at login. Note that if you disable the profile loader, calibration will no longer be loaded. You can use the Windows-internal calibration loader instead, but it has some drawbacks (accuracy, banding, doesn’t restore the calibration when it gets unloaded by an external program).

Yes, the profile loader was what I disabled through autoruns.

The windows profile loader doesn’t turn my whole screen blue/green/whatever after a random amount of time though.

Attached is what my display looks like when I click the download icon in DisplayCAL, but only if the profile loader is activated. If it’s deactivated and I open DisplayCAL and do the same thing, the color profile seems to be applied correctly (colors change slightly).

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That looks like a graphics driver bug. Note that it is not possible to achieve this posterization effect using 1D curves, as the Windows SetDeviceGammaRamp API enforces monotonically increasing values (and limits the range within which adjustments are possible).

hinterlufer
    Participant

That looks like a graphics driver bug. Note that it is not possible to achieve this posterization effect using 1D curves, as the Windows SetDeviceGammaRamp API enforces monotonically increasing values (and limits the range within which adjustments are possible).

Thanks for the insight. Interestingly enough it only happens with the described DisplayCAL interactions.

There’s a new graphics driver available so I’ll try that. I am using a RX580 4GB.

Joseman
    Participant

Hello, the same thing happens to me since the 1903 update. I thought it was a mistake of the graphics (asus rx 560) but after testing with another card uninstall DisplayCall and I have not had the colors like the previous message. To me the screen appears with solid colors (violet most times) and after a few minutes it disappeared. Again I reiterate that uninstalling DisplayCall has disappeared the problem.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

after a few minutes it disappeared. Again I reiterate that uninstalling DisplayCall has disappeared the problem.

It’s either-or. It can’t be both. By the way, the Windows internal calibration loader uses the exact same Windows SetDeviceGammaRamp API, as do any third-party loaders, including Argyll’s dispwin.

Joseman
    Participant

Thanks for your quick response Florian, I continue to test and after desisntalar DisplayCal did not return to display the colors on the monitor. Today I have installed DisplayCal again and again the colors are appearing on the monitor. I have the updated AMD driver installed, there must be a conflict with Windows, AMD drivers or DisplayCal, since the same thing happens to my companion since the 1903 update.

Thanks and best regards

t.g.v
    Participant

.. problem with tinted screen occurs at my system on a RX-560 w. last AMD-drivers (19.7.2) and all recent W.10 pro updates.

I never saw that behaviour before the big Win 10 update 1903.

“normal” behaviour is easy to achieve: rightclick on loader logo, profile associations, untick “use personal settings”, the tick  use personal settings” –> normal colors.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS