Preserve calibration state not working [Solved]

Home Forums Help and Support Preserve calibration state not working [Solved]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

nicolas
    Participant

Hello,

I have 2 laptops that I quite successfuly calibrated with DisplayCAL.
    Both PC are running Windows 7 SP1, DisplayCAL 3.1.7.2 (latest to this date).

On PC #1, the profile loader works fine.

On PC #2, the profile loader shows an issue : the profile is not re-loaded automatically when needed (e.g. : when a game is run and then closed, when PC resume from sleep, when UAC pops-up and asks for a confirmation).
    At this point, if I click on the tray icon and click on “Load calibration from current…” then I got the message saying that the profile has been successfuly loaded (I checked : it’s the correct profile name) but it’s not.
    If I click on “Reset video card…” and then on “Load calibration form…” then the profile is correctly loaded.

The software I run on my 2 PCs are basically the same apart  from the drivers (since they are from different brands and age…). (Do you need specs ?)

What could I try to make it work ?

Thanks in adavance for your answer and above all for your software !

Nicolas

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

what is your graphics card/chipset and driver please? Your description sounds like an old bug in Intel drivers (basically, the drivers detect if the same gamma ramps are being loaded again, and then ignores the attempt. That’s why first resetting the ramps works).

nicolas
    Participant

The video chipset is : Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset

The driver version is 8.15.10.2555 and seems to be old (10/13/2006)

Are these informations the ones you need ?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks. Yes, that seems to indicate it’s exactly the driver bug I described. Can you update the driver and try again? Latest version should be 15.17.19.2869 (8.15.10.2869) from 11/16/2012.

nicolas
    Participant

Indeed, I used the built-in (Lenovo) software to update my drivers… so it was a bit outdated.

But… I can’t install the very last version (2869) and got stuck at using the previous one (2555)… (it seems to be related to a problem of driver signature, but I tried to disable this functionality and still I’m stuck… my graphic card refuse the newest version – I cannot test an older version (2021) for the same reason…).

Nevermind… I’ll live with it…

Do you think that the profile loader could have an option to first force resetting before reloading the profile ?

Anyway, thank you for your really quick answer ! 🙂

Florian Höch
    Administrator

it seems to be related to a problem of driver signature

That seems unlikely as vendor drivers need to be signed since Vista.

Did you download the correct ones? There’s separate drivers for Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit.

nicolas
    Participant

Yes, I’m on Win7 x64 and I downloaded the x64 versions…

I tested the following versions :

I uninstalled the current driver first. I tried with the installer, i tried with a driver update (after having uncompressed the install files…). Each time I install the 2869 version, the Device manager displays 2 Graphic card with the same name, a warning sign… and under property I got a message saying that the drivers are not signed… It’s strange…

Stranger is that also happens with the “old” 2021 version but not when re-installing the 2555.

nicolas
    Participant

At last…
    I managed to install the latest version of the driver but only temporarily (by disabling the signature check at windows boot – so, it really seems to be the problem…).

Anyway : with the latest driver version… Profile Loader acts the same. I must manually disable and then enable again my profile in order to use it after a screen change…

nicolas
    Participant

Hello,

As the issue is still here and bothers me… because I’m too lazy to manually disable the profile and then re-enable it each time each time I wake the PC up from sleep or each time the UAC pops-up and darkens the screen… (in fact, I do do this each time… but it’s irritating…), I found a sort of work around for those, having the same issue, potentially interested.

Here it is :
    The Profle Loader has a great option which enables a list of programs considered as exceptions…So, you find a small program, that starts and exits quickly (e.g. notepad.exe or calc.exe). You add this program to the execptions list and you set it to Reset video card gamma table each time it’s run…
    Then, you create a shorcut for this program in a quick and easy to access location (taskbar or desktop…).
    From then, each time you launch this program, Profile Loader detects it and quickly (under 3 seconds, which is its delay to perform its verifications) it resets the profile. You close the program and Profile Loader reload your color profile.

I even created an “empty” program which starts, wait 3 seconds and closes itself and it works pretty well…

N.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The next version will detect Intel video drivers and work-around the problem automatically.

nicolas
    Participant

You’re being mean to me ! Just when I found my own way… ! 😛 (just kidding).

Thanks a lot for your work !

nicolas
    Participant

Just an input to confirm that version 3.2 handles the Profile preservation very well.

Thanks again !

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks for the feedback, good to hear.

nicolas
    Participant

Hi,

The profile loader acts weirds again with the last version (3.3.2) on my problematic system : sometimes*, instead of reloading the choosen calibration profile (after a UAC prompt, for instance), it first reloads the personal profile (which is OK) and then it reset to the default profile…

• I cannot always reproduce it…

If I left click on the profile loader tray icon, “load profile…” option is correctly ticked. If I click on it anyway, it loads the correct profile.

So, it’s not working properly, but it’s not the same problem as version 3.1 since :
    – Profile Loader correctly loads personal profile, before reverting to default one,
    – I don’t have to first re-load default gamma table and then re-load my profile to make it work.

I re-installed 3.2.2, it works well…

I do not remember with which version it started to acts like this again…

Nicolas

Edit : I just notice new things in the behaviour.
    If in the situation where personal profile not loaded -> browsing files with Windows explorer triggers the personal profile re-loading !
    (precision : I’m not using any exception in the Profile Loader).

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by nicolas.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by nicolas.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

it first reloads the personal profile (which is OK) and then it reset to the default profile…

There is no “default” profile. When anything resets the videoLUT, it has to be an external program (unless you choose “Reset video card gamma tables” in the profile loader explicitly or are define exceptions). Note that in prior versions, the profile loader did reload the calibration every three seconds (no matter if this was actually needed or not). In the current version, it only reloads the calibration if a change in the running processes is detected.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS