One single TIFF image, five programs, two different views

Home Forums Help and Support One single TIFF image, five programs, two different views

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

geldo
    Participant

Well, I think I need a little help here. If I open the same file (.tif) from RawTherapee, Nikon Capture NX2 and Gimp I get the same colors, but different than those I get if I open the file from Nikon Capture NX-D and Window Photo Viewer, which in turn provide the same colors between them. OS is Windows 10 and all programs are configured as far as color management is concerned.

Another program (Window’s Photo) gives its own different version, but this is ok since it is not an app for a color managed workflow.

Thanks!

WolfPeace
    Participant

I will assume that you made a LUT + Matrix profile.

The differences in colors between those 3 and 2 programs are because of their Color Management Modules(CMM). One group uses LUT part of the icc profile while the other uses Matrix. From my testing WPhotoViewer uses Matrix.

I suppose Window’s Photo is not color managed at all(don’t have it currently so I can’t surely confirm it)

You could test which program uses LUT or Matrix by making a new profile with swapped colors in Matrix part:

In displaycal go to Profiling tab. In profile type select XYZ LUT + swapped matrix. Then go to File-Create profile from measurement data… , select the icc profile you currently use(the directory should be correct at start), then type the name and choose the destination folder for the new profile(I suggest Desktop so you could easily move or erase it later). After that install that profile, and check the .tiff file in all 5 programs.

Also don’t forget to reinstall the main calibration/profile you used before 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by WolfPeace.

geldo
    Participant

Thank you very much! So I did the test and now it’s official: RawTherapee, Gimp and Capture NX2 use the LUT, while Capture NX-D and Photo Viewer don’t. So the question is: which one is right? Is it possible that the old Capture gives more accurate colors than the newer one, what is the rationale behind this?

WolfPeace
    Participant

LUT are more accurate, and I would advice using software that is capable of using them. Basically the advantage of Matrix are smoother gradients while sacrificing accuracy, with LUT profiles(or part of profiles) the situation is opposite. Also Matrix has best compatibility across many programs, but luckily we can create a LUT+Matrix profile with DisplayCal and in most cases don’t worry about profile-software compatibility.

geldo
    Participant

… but luckily we can create a LUT+Matrix profile with DisplayCal and in most cases don’t worry about profile-software compatibility.

Of course, but maybe a good monitor is also important? Mine (Dell U2410) shows a magenta cast when not in ‘LUT mode’…       you have been very helpful thanks!

WolfPeace
    Participant

No problem 🙂 . Some monitors behave good with matrix profile some don’t. The problem you have with magenta cast is sort of confirmed to be bad reaction to Matrix in your older topic on this forum(https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/topic/windows-10-spyder-3-driver-help/#post-2898) .

geldo
    Participant

Another thing I noticed is that some software (Capture ND both old and new) don’t even ask for a monitor profile in their preference settings, while others do. This should not be a problem I think, as long as the software allows for a color managed workflow, since results seem ok in both cases.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS