New version?

Home Forums General Discussion New version?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Rashid
    Participant

I wonder will we see a new version of DisplayCAL, it’s been a while since 3.8.9.3 came out. Actually more than a year. Is this project still alive?

gnutix
    Participant

I just tried installing the .deb for Ubuntu on my system (Pop!_OS 20.10) and it expects “python” dependency to be python2, which is not shipped anymore at it reached EOL some time ago now. A new version would definitely help!

Patrick1978
    Participant

Florian hasn’t been around much lately so it might be a while before we see another update   https://hub.displaycal.net/forums/reply/26425/

Argyle hasn’t been updated in a year either.  It’s the unfortunate side affect of having small one man projects like these.  Life sometimes gets in the way or they lose interest.

ohemelaar
    Participant

For those looking for a workaround, you can install the current version using the nix package manager by running nix-env -i displaycal. After that run displaycal in your terminal to launch the GUI.

Paapaa Poopoo
    Participant

Sadly this project is dead and has been for a long time. The last version was releaded in 2019 and nothing ever since. Time to move on to more promising and better handled projects with long-term maintenance.

S Simeonov
    Participant

<svg style=”display: none;”><filter id=”_videostyler_filter_”></filter></svg>

Sadly this project is dead and has been for a long time. The last version was releaded in 2019 and nothing ever since. Time to move on to more promising and better handled projects with long-term maintenance.

What’s wrong with the last version, it’s working fine.

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by S Simeonov.

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

Last year the deveopment of DisplayCAL was taken over by a new developer and the next relase is in the works:

Python 3.x Development Announcement

https://github.com/eoyilmaz/displaycal-py3

Please keep in mind that DisplayCAL is just a GUI for ArgyllCMS:

https://www.argyllcms.com

The last stable relase of DisplayCAL works just fine with Argyll 2.3.1, which is what really matters.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Last year the deveopment of DisplayCAL was taken over by a new developer and the next relase is in the works:

It wasn’t taken over more so than forked. Which is fine, this used to be an open source project after all.

Please keep in mind that DisplayCAL is just a GUI for ArgyllCMS

I’d argue it’s a bit more than that.

Kuba Trybowski
    Participant

I know. I just oversimplified it.

I’m aware that all the presets and profiling/verification testcharts, as well as the ISO-compliant display uniformity check – and probably also some other elements I’m not aware of – are all part of DisplayCAL, not Argyll.

Time to move on to more promising and better handled projects with long-term maintenance.

Could you please name some?

I see no real alternative for DisplayCAL. Calman and CoulourSpace are pretty expensive, whilst Calibrite Profiler’s display calibration and profile verification capabilities are very limited.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Florian, it’s good to see you back in the forum, I have a question – do you plan any new versions of displaycal in the future?

Blowi
    Participant

It’s nice to see Florian back.

I may not recall all that I’ve used, but DisplayCal is probably the best 3rd party free app that fixes and enhances this critical functions of an OS by so much. And even without any update for 4 years, it is still THE best color managing tool for PC.

The key importance between DisplayCal and lousy official apps of colorimeter vendors is that the latter never let you know the subtleties of gamma in the very low light region (black output offset) , the dark point color temperature nonconsistency(black point correction), which actually play bigger roles in image and video reproduction even than the colorful part. And very few of them handle colorimeter calibration for Wide gamut, which essentially makes the result incorrect.

Through these many years experience using DisplayCal, I just kept learning new things and important facts about color management. The way it handles so many details carefully and also teaches you how and why, is just irreplaceable.

I really hope DisplayCal can continue developing, with the help of community or becoming paid versions.

These days, the transition into wide gamut and HDR displays simply make things so much more complicated. Windows almost locks anything out from measuring the raw response in HDR mode ( the app  doesn’t even  know, for example, a supposedly raw red patch, is really shown in monitor native, or red converted from EDID, or red converted from ICC, or any totally incorrectly converted red). And there is interference of local dimming and ABL. I doubt on Windows any vendor and professional CMS can actually know what they are doing at any given time during the calibration/profiling workflow.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS