New color calibration, got an I1Display Pro

Home Forums Help and Support New color calibration, got an I1Display Pro

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

ZeroWalker
    Participant

So as title says i am new to all this.

I got an I1Display Pro and has run the X-Rite calibration software on my monitor (Dell U2415) and then i saved some color profile i guess it made from the calibration and have it activated (Windows 10).

But i don’t know more than that, i am clueless about all these color profiles, BT709 and whatnot, i just know about them,

but it’s limited to the basic rule of thumb where “709 = HD, 601 = SD”, which i know isn’t all true, but maybe you can see where my knowledge is at;P

So basically, i don’t know where to start, but from looking around it seems DisplayCAL is the way to go for calibration, but got no clue why either.

I am hoping by asking here i may be able to get some light on all of this and learn more about it, as well as understanding why i should do this or that etc:)

Thanks!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

U2415 is a sRGB-like WLED IPS with a gamut a bit larger that sRGB/Rec709. You can use DisplayCAL yo create a calibration for white point and gamma, an d make a profile with the behavior of your screen with that calibration applied.

If you want “exactly sRGB” or “exatly Rec709 gamma 2.4” you’ll need one of these:
    -use software that supports software LUT3D like Resolve or madVR (or maybe Reshade but IDNK that tool). Use DisplayCAL to compute that LUT3D
    -use an extrnal LUT3D (hardware), you can use DisplayCAL to compute data of that LUT3D
    -use a monitor with LUT3D and a reliable HW calibration

1st one is free. If you use color managed applications like Photoshop/GIMP you do not need LUT3D to see accurately an sRGB image, just need the ICM profile that DisplayCAL computes (but due to limited precision of some of these programs banding issues may arise)

ZeroWalker
    Participant

Hmm, what’s the difference between sRGB and Rec709 (gamma 2.4, what’s up with that?).

I don’t know which i should use, i mean i want to use the one that’s best, if that’s a thing, or are they more or less identical for some reason?

And what does LUT3D do, does it convert the source to fit my color profile or something?

Cause say the video is Rec601, would that mess things up?

And also how does this apply in games, i am guessing Reshade is what one uses there, or is it handled by the OS for me?

And same there, how does it work, does it make the game color fit the color profile etc?

Many stupid questions i know!;P

Vincent
    Participant

Use a basic, simple & functional setting: white D65, gamma 2.2, calibration speed medium or low, single curve + matrix profile.

If you need more, there is dedicated documentation in DisplayCAL for further reading.

ZeroWalker
    Participant

Well i run one calibration, guess i did it wrong though, it ended up as:

DELL U2415 ’18, VCGT, 7118K, 118 cd/m², Gamma 2.2, i1 DisplayPro, ColorMunki Display, 2019-04-21

But then i wanted to make the 3DLUT thingy, but the measured colors were wrong compared to the Gamma 2.2 where i got RGB aligned quite nicely i think.

I am guessing that’s not how it should be, and i should have one profile and maybe multiple 3DLUT or something?

Vincent
    Participant

If you got that…

you verified it wrong (simulation profile enabled & use simulatioj profile as display profile = no calibration applied in verification)

or

you chose that settings for calibration and I not sure if you wanted that. Read Displaycal documentation.

Hard to know with thw little information you provide. Lost of threads with examples & screenshots if you want to take a look on them. Read them.

ZeroWalker
    Participant

I don’t see any simulation profile setting, i just ran the default preset:s

I have just read through most of the DisplayCal documentation, but sadly i am still at a loss,

not sure which information you want me to provide, didn’t think there was anything besides the monitor and calibration device.

Thanks

Vincent
    Participant

IDNK what you want to do with your secreen.

If you wanted what I wrote ” a basic, simple & functional setting: white D65, gamma 2.2, calibration speed medium or low, single curve + matrix profile” but you get “VCGT, 7118K” then you did it wrong… maybe because you do not follow on screen DisplayCAL indications like for example not using OSD gains (read your monitor’s manual) … or maybe that you do not set white point target in DisplayCAL to D65 (6500K daylight )… or maybe you verified it in a wrong way, or in another OSD preset or whatever situation someone can guess.

IDNK what you did, it is your task to explain in a very detalied way what you did: settings in every tab and display OSD status & mode.

ZeroWalker
    Participant

I don’t find the single curve + matrix profile?

I missed the calibration speed though i think, i might have had that at high.

the monitor should be set correctly i think, no auto gain stuff going on, custom RGB which i set accordingly to what DisplayCAL tells me when calibrating.

I can’t either find were to specify D65, so i just temperature and white level “as measured”, so here i was supposed to set to 6500K,

and D65 is simply a short way of saying that?

I don’t know which Correction if any too chose either, as they seems to be for certain models, so i had “Auto (None)”.

I also believe i might need black level drift compensation, if i understood the documentation correctly, as the i1 Display Pro doesn’t correct it automatically and was temperature sensitive, or something, maybe i need white level drift compensation as well though?

But after i did that, i believe i couldn’t verify, it was blocked/grayed, and so was 3DLUT, i can force it open in advanced, but not sure that would end up being correct,

cause when i did that with my current profile, the colors became really washed out in madvr, so it’s probably not what it should be.

Vincent
    Participant

I don’t find the single curve + matrix profile?

Profile tab

I missed the calibration speed though i think, i might have had that at high.

If does not matter, it is not causing your WP error.

the monitor should be set correctly i think, no auto gain stuff going on, custom RGB which i set accordingly to what DisplayCAL tells me when calibrating.

I think that white is not set properly in OSD controls , otherwise you won’t get that white you report.

I can’t either find were to specify D65, so i just temperature and white level “as measured”, so here i was supposed to set to 6500K,

and D65 is simply a short way of saying that?

yes

I don’t know which Correction if any too chose either, as they seems to be for certain models, so i had “Auto (None)”.

WLED

I also believe i might need black level drift compensation, if i understood the documentation correctly, as the i1 Display Pro doesn’t correct it automatically and was temperature sensitive, or something, maybe i need white level drift compensation as well though?

No drft needed. All unchecked.

But after i did that, i believe i couldn’t verify, it was blocked/grayed, and so was 3DLUT, i can force it open in advanced, but not sure that would end up being correct,

Then maybe you do not install profile at the end of the process when DisplayCAL request you to do that (and use its loader)

cause when i did that with my current profile, the colors became really washed out in madvr, so it’s probably not what it should be.

Maybe profile is OK but you made LUT3D  MadVR wrong. No way to know what you did…

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Vincent.

ZeroWalker
    Participant

Hmm, i don’t know why my screen is measured as around 7k.

I know you can change the temperature with a DDC/CI tool, but not in the OSD directly,

you can just alter the Gamma, and that’s only two settings “PC, MAC”, which doesn’t really tell me much.

EDIT: Oh wait, i can set it to 6500k, but then i can’t controll RGB directly, cause i have to select “Color Temp” instead of “Custom”.

But won’t i be able to get 6500k by controlling those, or is it a separate thing?

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by ZeroWalker.

ZeroWalker
    Participant

I attatched pictured for the settings.

I seems 3DLUT complains about the “black point compensation” which “matrix + single curve” introduces by default if i click “Create 3D LUT after profiling”,

if that’s something to worry about.

EDIT: Okay i had the wrong profile at the screenshot, here’s the correct one.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by ZeroWalker.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Hmm, i don’t know why my screen is measured as around 7k.

I know you can change the temperature with a DDC/CI tool, but not in the OSD directly,

you can just alter the Gamma, and that’s only two settings “PC, MAC”, which doesn’t really tell me much.

EDIT: Oh wait, i can set it to 6500k, but then i can’t controll RGB directly, cause i have to select “Color Temp” instead of “Custom”.

But won’t i be able to get 6500k by controlling those, or is it a separate thing?

DisplayCAL cannot use DDC/CI, that’s why I said “manually”. “Custom color” should allow you to use RGB gains like… otherwise your display is broken. Read your display manual.

And as I said before you are verifying your profile+calibration wrong. Read again what I wrote ( #16962).

ZeroWalker
    Participant

Sorry was a bit unclear so you missunderstood me there:)

What i meant to say was.

I thought i couldn’t adjust color temp without using DDC/CI, but i confirmed that was wrong.

And i have been adjusting RGB gains in the OSD, i did so in my first calibration as well (which ended up as 7k for some reason, but i guess that’s cause i didn’t tell it to use 6500K but “as measured”).

So in other words, i can adjust RGB fine in OSD, but i can’t do much more, if that’s needed or expected, the only other thing i can change is Gamma, which i don’t understand at all as it’s just 2 modes (PC/MAC).

As for the verification, i am reading what you are saying, but i don’t quite understand it sadly.
    Ar you saying that if i  have checked “use simulation profile as display profile”, no verification is done?

I am not even sure what the verification is for, i get that it verifies something, but doesn’t it verify while calibrating?

Sorry for being confusing, i am trying my best on reading up on this as i ask the questions, it’s just so many things so i don’t know what i what when it comes to the whole chain so to speak.

I do understand the basic stuff like “adjust the monitor color/cont/bright to what’s expected”, that’s clear to me, but the rest of the stuff when it starts to “correct colors, color profiles, color spaces and whatnot”, i get quickly confused, so please bare with me there, i know it’s probably very frustrating:p

Vincent
    Participant

So in other words, i can adjust RGB fine in OSD, but i can’t do much more, if that’s needed or expected, the only other thing i can change is Gamma, which i don’t understand at all as it’s just 2 modes (PC/MAC).

Move OSD gains till white as close as you cant to your target (or none if they are locked like in an iMac), DisplayCAL will correct the gap using GPU. Same for gamma, choose a setting “close” to your target, DisplayCAL will correct the deviations using GPU (LUT1D tables).

As for the verification, i am reading what you are saying, but i don’t quite understand it sadly.
    Ar you saying that if i  have checked “use simulation profile as display profile”, no verification is done?

If you do that you are doing a verification of the display “as is”, with no calibration loaded in graphics card (because calibration  = 1D LUT tables in GPU, are stored in your taylor made profile made by DisplayCAL).

That option you chose is useful for verifiying HW calibration, or out ot the box factory calibration, but not useful fopr verifying your displaycal calibration.

I do understand the basic stuff like “adjust the monitor color/cont/bright to what’s expected”, that’s clear to me, but the rest of the stuff when it starts to “correct colors, color profiles, color spaces and whatnot”, i get quickly confused, so please bare with me there, i know it’s probably very frustrating:p

With ICM profile made by displaycal… you do not need more for color managed apps like Photoshop or GIMP or Firefox… etc

Other tools like madVR or Resolve (video with software LUT3D) may need another & more detailed profile XYZLUT type with thousands of patches, but fist master this and get a working calibration & profile fror “everyday use”, then move to DisplayCAL FAQ & tutorials for madVR & resolve (or reshade).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS