MSI Optix MAG271CQR – First time calibrating

Home Forums Help and Support MSI Optix MAG271CQR – First time calibrating

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Jbennett360
    Participant

Hi guys.

First time calibrating using a Spyder 4 Express.

I’ve got it all setup, found the relevant correction profile for this monitor and loaded it. Reset the OSD to default and calibrated.

Here are my results. Im assuming the calibration looks good? Are there any further tweaks i could make to improve etc?

I went for the D6500k and Gamma at 2.2.

Thanks in advance 🙂

• This topic was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Jbennett360.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

theultra
    Participant

Hey,

I would very much like to try your calibration on my MSI MAG271CQR.

It would be great if you could provide me with a link to the color profile. 😉

Greetings,

Lukas

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

You can not calibrate this monitor with spyder4express. The black lvl reading is completely wrong and too high. This is a VA panel, it should be near 3000:1 contrast ratio, that probe is only measuring 434 :1.

You need a colormunki display (xrite) probe at the very least.  They go on sale for $80-100

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Jbennett360
    Participant

You can not calibrate this monitor with spyder4express. The black lvl reading is completely wrong and too high. This is a VA panel, it should be near 3000:1 contrast ratio, that probe is only measuring 434 :1.

You need a colormunki display (xrite) probe at the very least.  They go on sale for $80-100

Thought as much.

I’ve sold the Spyder and will look at a colormunki.

Monitor is currently away for a FW update.

Jbennett360
    Participant

Here’s the udated report with the Colormunki.

I chose D65 and 2.2 Gamma – targeted 120cdm Light.

Attachments:

pib319
    Participant

Kind of unrelated, but how did you generate those graphs and data?

Jbennett360
    Participant

Kind of unrelated, but how did you generate those graphs and data?

Verification.

So i’ve managed to get a calibration im happy with, but im seeing greens and red in the grey.

Happens in Chrome on Lagom
    Happens in Photoshop

Not sure where i go from here?

Attachments:

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Something is wrong with the calibration.   Check the monitor modes, turn off dynamic contrast, and all other post process features, like sharpen, things of that sort.

you’re using the colormunki “display” right ?  the one that looks like the i1display pro.

Jbennett360
    Participant

Something is wrong with the calibration.   Check the monitor modes, turn off dynamic contrast, and all other post process features, like sharpen, things of that sort.

you’re using the colormunki “display” right ?  the one that looks like the i1display pro.

Yeah Colormunki Display.

Monitor is back to default settings. Here’s the last report i could get from it.

However there seems to be severe Grayscale banding. Hints of green and red.

Attachments:

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

Look for a setting in there that has to do with dynamic contrast, like game mode, or something that sounds like it would affect black point.

Based on online review this monitor should be a VA panel with ~3000:1 contrast.

If your meter reads 1000:1 something is wrong.

Take screenshots of the settings in displaycal you used for this calibration as well.

Jbennett360
    Participant

Look for a setting in there that has to do with dynamic contrast, like game mode, or something that sounds like it would affect black point.

Based on online review this monitor should be a VA panel with ~3000:1 contrast.

If your meter reads 1000:1 something is wrong.

Take screenshots of the settings in displaycal you used for this calibration as well.

It’s just the monitor itself. I’ve seen a review on TomsHardware and they can’t calibrate it. They’ve had to make do with factory profile settings at a set brightness.

I’m going to return it and keep an eye out for something else.

asdfage wegagag
    Participant

I’m pretty sure the error is in your settings, tomshardware review ,they got 2400:1 contrast out of their set after calibration.

Set it to the settings in their article.

Make sure your GPU color options are default as well. and if nvidia, that digital vibrancy setting is at default.

Jbennett360
    Participant

I’m pretty sure the error is in your settings, tomshardware review ,they got 2400:1 contrast out of their set after calibration.

Set it to the settings in their article.

Make sure your GPU color options are default as well. and if nvidia, that digital vibrancy setting is at default.

YEah, the reason they got that 2400:1 is because they never calibrated it with any sort of tool.

They just made do with the stock settings.

I’ve spoken to the writer of the article and he said he basically gave up because there were too many errors being shown.

MSI have clearly worked/calibrated the monitor in a non-standard way.

I’ve gone back to my old Dell 2515H. Attached the output. Same settings as i used for the MSI monitor.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Jbennett360.
    Attachments:
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS