MBP16/davinci resolve 16.2/Spyder5

Home Forums Help and Support MBP16/davinci resolve 16.2/Spyder5

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Vincent
    Participant

it does not look correct after the LUT 3D is embedded in the color management DR

That sentence has little meaning unless you specify what seems off, maybe FPX is the one that is missconfigured. Or maybe FPX is using Rec709 g2.4 and you keep using g2.2 in resolve.
    An easy visual way to spot is something is off with a widegamut display is to use a set of RGBCMY video test in a sample project. AVSForum has a few of them in a thread called video patterns or something like that. A way to test if gamma is higher or lower is to visually inspect a gradient.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

“or MP4 (.7z)”, 100% color for RGBCMY (MP4-2c\ColorHCFR Windows\100% Color\)

Of course you can try to validate these 2 apps behavior numerically, but Spyder gives you some uncertain due its lack of accuracy.

A way to test FPX is those sample RGBCMY videos and read display output with spotread. It’s argyllcms commandline. Each argyllcms commandline has a manual page with its parameters. Check if FPX color management renders rec709 RGBCMY video patches close to at least RGB primaries coordinates in Rec709. You can fins those coordinates in profile information or wikipedia.

Did you try to validate Resolve LUT3D? At the same time as LUT3D file is made, a devicelink profile is created too. You can validate (Verification tab) it with a simulation profile (source colorspce) and a device link profile. But keep in mind that such validation can be off not because of DisplayCAL but  because P3 display profile is not an accurate description od your mac display. Hence before validating numerically Resolve LUT3D it seems wise to validate if “p3 dsiplay” profile is an accurate description of your display… and it depends on Spyder which is not very accurate. It’s measured white point maybe off but RGB primaries should be more or less of if you apply proper colorimeter correction.

That’s a set of recomendations. For a step by step guide, read displaycal o argyllcms documentation.

iNikita
    Participant

Thanks Vincent a lot of information. I am very grateful to you for answering my questions. But I can’t understand one thing, how people work with DR all this time. Really everyone understands the color management and know how to properly manage the settings DR =))) I already tried to ask such questions on the BMD forum and here. But a definite answer (a ready-made solution) that everything would work as expected, I did not get =)))

iNikita
    Participant

Yes I agree that FCPX may not accurately display the color and gamut… I tried to make the 3D LUTs maker LUT with the 2.4 gamma much darker… 2.2 looks more optimal on the scale but the shades are more in green speaker than in FCPX, in FCPX more Magenta color

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS