MBP16/davinci resolve 16.2/Spyder5

Home Forums Help and Support MBP16/davinci resolve 16.2/Spyder5

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

iNikita
    Participant

Good afternoon, I ran into a problem. In Davinci Resolve in the viewing windows I see the wrong gamut and color as compared to FCPX. After digging the Internet, I learned that Davinci Resolve does not control color. And, in order to see the correct colors in the viewing windows, you need to manually configure Color Management…. Question: How much will my actions be true? I want to create an LUT for the viewing windows in Davinci Resolve for my pro 16 MacBook (with DCI-P3 monitor) Yesterday I tried to do it, but the colors and gamma again were not the reference ones in FCPX…. Am I thinking right? How much is the right solution to build an LUT for a built-in macbook pro 16 display rather than an external monitor? I don ‘t have an external monitor to work for Davinci Resolve. I want to work on the macbook pro 16 display.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

iNikita
    Participant

Could give the answer in this form: Example 1) Yes 2)leave as is 3)change to gamma 2.2 or rec709 and so on…

Now I made a test LUT as in the images that I attached, it turned out something more similar to the truth)

Attachments:

iNikita
    Participant

the sRGB test image looks close to the reference, but still not the same. Waiting for help in configuring DisplayCAL parameters for DR

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Spyders are innacurate devices and you did not seleect a proper correction of mac P3 display. It is WLED PFS P3 for mac in “4” (red) screenshot or if you wish to use bundled Spyder corrections in the same screen upper right there is acombo where you can select something like RGB LED or Widegamut LED or something like that.

Also you are using default idealized P3 D65 display profile bundled with OS and no calibration.
    If you want to see the same in Resolve than in FPX (with whatever accurate or innacurate color management FPX has)… just make a Resolve LUT3D with the same  profile. Open DisplayCAL LUT3D maker:
    Source colrospace: content colorspace (like Rec709)
    Destination colorspace: display profile
    Done, configure Resolve LUT3D with that file. Thumbnails may get not color corrected but video panels should be OK.
    I thought that Resolve for macos should have some kind of builtin configuration with basic Rec709->P3 D65

if you want to calibrate your mac display you’ll face the limitations of buggy mac os color management engine inthe applications that use it unless you choose DisplayCAL defaults for mac. This limits your calibration options. This calibration will apply system wide (grey)

iNikita
    Participant

Vincent thank you for the answer! I poorly you understand so as communication our is happening through the interpreter) I correctly understand you, that previously my actions were in fundamentally not correct? From your words, I understand that I do not need to build a profile, but need to use 3D maker (in the pinned image example) and specify rec.709 and specify the DCI-P3 monitor icc? I generated a LUT and it didn’t work out the way I needed it to….

Attachments:

iNikita
    Participant

I’m sorry I attached the wrong image. I also encountered a problem that when I specify the monitor profile, the creator 3D lut window is not active. So I did it wrong…

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Now add that LUT3D to Resolve in two boxes, DisplayCAL guide to resolve:

3D LUT creation workflow for Resolve

Click “Save 3D LUT…” to select a location where it should be saved. Resolve searches for LUTs in the folders
    C:\ProgramData\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\LUT (Windows) or
    /Library/Application Support/Blackmagic Design/DaVinci Resolve/LUT (Mac OS X)

[…]

Using the 3D LUT in Resolve

Open the “File” menu in Resolve and select “Project settings…”. Select “Color Management” (in older versions “Lookup Tables”) from the list. Choose your 3D LUT under the “3D Video Monitor Lookup Table” entry. Note that you should set your scopes to not use the video monitor selection (see below how to create a 3D LUT for the color viewer). You can also set 3D Lookup Table Interpolation to “Tetrahedral” for potentially better accuracy.

[…]

Using the 3D LUT in Resolve

Open the “File” menu in Resolve and select “Project settings…”. Select “Color Management” (in older versions “Lookup Tables”) from the list. Choose your 3D LUT under the “3D Color Viewer Lookup Table” entry. You can also set 3D Lookup Table Interpolation to “Tetrahedral” for potentially better accuracy.

If you want an actual calibration based on actual measurements:
    -beware spyder inaccuracies and use proper correction for Mac P3 backlight
    -use DisplayCAL defaults even if that limits calibration options, since FPX is likely to use or rely on macos color management engine (IDNK)
    -make sure that new DisplayCAL’s display profile is default display profile in OS (DisplayCAL will install it)
    -make resolve LUT3D like in FAQ. Source colorspace must match “whatever FPX thinks that their reference display should be”: rec709 2.4? rec709 2.2? IDNK

iNikita
    Participant

Do I understand correctly that to get started I have to build a DisplayCAL profile for my monitor, not use the standard apple DCI-P3? And follow the instructions for calibrating the display? After reading the instruction, I understand that the parameters should be like the images I attached…

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

You can

-keep your current “no calibration” display profile “P3 display” with your current dsiplay behavior.
    You use FPX as you have used it.
    You need to create a LUT3D for Resolve or enable some checkbox  for Macos Resolve with that transformation (if it exists for macos)

OR

-make a new calibration for your macbook/external P3 display. This will be applied system wide and FPX is supposed to use it.
    Then make LUT3D for Resolve.

If your main objective is to see things in resolve as you see them in FPX right now, 1st option is faster.

For 2nd one, you may want to use the same GPU calibration used for OS display default profile (supposed to be used by FPX), but a bigger testchart for profile and I would say to do not apply/include VCGT calibration in LUT3D since it is going to be applied systemwide, so Resolve and FPX can be used at the same time

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.

iNikita
    Participant

I ‘d like to go 2 ways but I ‘m afraid to get confused in the large colliage of parameters…..

iNikita
    Participant

And I still can ‘t understand “VCGT” where it is?

iNikita
    Participant

oh my god I just realized now how to open this tab, how hard it all comes to me)

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

VCGT is 1D LUT calibration loaded into graphics card and stored in ICC profile for most common calibration software.

With so many doubts I would try 1st approach first

iNikita
    Participant

okay Vincent, please, you can step by step describe the first method for me as a kid) Step by step1) … 2) … 3) … I’m tired and I don’t think well))) I just want to see the right colors and gamut in the DR window)

iNikita
    Participant

If by method number 1 you meant that in the image (fast method) it does not look correct after the LUT 3D is embedded in the color management DR

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS