MadVR 3DLUT causing artifacts.

Home Forums Help and Support MadVR 3DLUT causing artifacts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Sean Willis
    Participant

This issue arose out of nowhere it seems for me. I was using an existing 3dlut file and it looked great but all the sudden it started to look like the image I attached.

I have done multiple calibrations since but its always the same. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Sean Willis.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Please post the original image as well, I do not know what to look for.

Sean Willis
    Participant

Here is the same scene with 3dlut off

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Your result is much darker. What settings have you used? Please attach the profile.

Sean Willis
    Participant

I have a 4k LG EF900 OLED TV.

NVIDIA is set to RGB 8bpc Limited

I have White level drift compensation on, and correction set to auto. I have tried setting correction to OLED but it hasn’t made a difference that I can tell.

Calibration and profiling tab is to default settings under Video 3D LUT for MadVR

3D LUT Tab settings are below in the attached picture.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

That’s the 3D LUT, but I can already see from it that your measurements have been totally botched, probably due to OLED auto-dimming. Have you used white level drift compensation?

Sean Willis
    Participant

Yes I have white level drift compensation option checked. Also I have turned off the autodimming via the service menu from the TV so I don’t think its that.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I can tell you with 100% certainty that your TV’s light output is not even remotely stable over time. It has absolutely insane brightness fluctuations. You need to get rid of those, otherwise there is zero chance that you will be able to accurately profile this TV.

Sean Willis
    Participant

Should I not have the test window maximized? Could that be the issue? Also Its the same result if I do 1500 patches or 73 so I really don’t understand how it could be fluctuating that much in a 4 minute span

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Should I not have the test window maximized? Could that be the issue?

That could well be it. OLEDs limit maximum brightness of full fields, much like Plasmas do. I would advise making the patch window as small as possible (while still fitting the instrument) and using a black background for OLED.

Also Its the same result if I do 1500 patches or 73 so I really don’t understand how it could be fluctuating that much in a 4 minute span

It’s not all that surprising, the fluctuation happens because of what’s displayed, so time plays less of a role.

Sean Willis
    Participant

Here is the profile I just made. But it is causing a different set of issues. As you can see below from the first two images.

And then I made a separate 3dlut via the settings for madvr and its completely crazy as you can see from the 3rd image.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

These results look like the measurements were botched again. Please attach the profiles as well, the files you attached are the 3D LUTs.

Sean Willis
    Participant

What is the file extension you are looking for?

Sean Willis
    Participant

I didn’t see you could send it to a compressed file.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Ok thanks. The first profile (DENON-AVR-2-2017-05-21-13-48-0.3127x-0.329y-S-XYZLUT) actually looks fine, but the gamut is limited to slightly below Rec. 709. For 3D LUT use, I always recommend to profile in the native (usually the widest) gamut mode available via your TV’s settings, so that any in-TV color management is disabled (so that it doesn’t distort anything) and the 3D LUT has the native color gamut of the TV to work with.

The second set of measurements has significantly raised blacks (0.37 cd/m2), not sure what was going on there.

My recommendation is to re-profile in wide (native) gamut mode, using the same patch set as for the first profile. This is likely going to resolve your issues.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS