MacOS System Requirements

Home Forums General Discussion MacOS System Requirements

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Roger Breton
    Participant

Please excuse the newbie question but DisplayCAL Donwload Link shows MacOS system requirement as “A recent Linux, macOS (10.6 or newer, recommended 10.7 or newer)”, how should these numbers be interpreted? To my humble knowledge, HighSierra MacOS is 10.13 ; Mojave MacOS is 10.14 ; Catalina MacOS is 10.15.

What do “10.6 and 10.7” refer to?

Again, please excuse the newbie question.

Roger Breton
    Participant

After doing a bit of “reading”, I found out Argyll Current Version 2.1.1, dated 29th April 2019, needs “Intel OS X 10.6 64 bit or later”. MacOS Sierra is 10.13 and Mojave is 10.15 and Catalina is 10.15: all these three versions are plenty “greater” than “10.6”.   It gives the confusing impression that, somehow, ArgyllCMS executables for the Mac are very much “outdated”.

Vincent
    Participant

After doing a bit of “reading”, I found out Argyll Current Version 2.1.1, dated 29th April 2019, needs “Intel OS X 10.6 64 bit or later”. MacOS Sierra is 10.13 and Mojave is 10.15 and Catalina is 10.15: all these three versions are plenty “greater” than “10.6”.   It gives the confusing impression that, somehow, ArgyllCMS executables for the Mac are very much “outdated”.

Consider it in the opposite direction: they do not require macOS to be in the last release to work. It will work ( and do work) in all of them. OS/services involved in GPU or USB communication have not changed since whatever date/macOS version.

So you may consider using the same reasoning that basic macOS services (the ones that force you to set a minimum version for an app release) are “outdated”, in the same way as TCP/IP v4 is 1983 tecnology.

Roger Breton
    Participant

So, in essence, all I need is “anything above 10.6 SnowLeopard”? Meaning that ArgyllCMS executables will run on anything “newer” than 10.6, but what about DisplayCAL itself? If I install on an old MacBook running 10.6, will DisplayCAL itself encounter any system incompatibilities?

Vincent
    Participant

https://displaycal.net/#requirements

DisplayCAL is a front end for command-line, not user friendly, ArgyllCMS commands… so you do notneed to type complex commands in a console, just click buttons.
    Use latest DisplayCAL version, because each new one adds funcionality or solves issues in some of its supported OSes.

Roger Breton
    Participant

Thank you Vincent. I guess DisplayCAL is *independent* of  the underlying OS in that it uses its own command language (Python?) that does not depend on any OS resources like .NET on Windows? I’ll find some time to dig into the underlying DisplayCAL “language” and how it interacts with the host OS at some point… I’m familiar with ArgyllCMS.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS