macOS Catalina Pink Tint

Home Forums General Discussion macOS Catalina Pink Tint

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Jens van Bellen
    Participant

Just calibrated my screen with a medium calibration speed in a room without ambient light, and I still get an orange hue.

Profile in attachment.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Still seems to be drifting, despite white level drift compensation. Try using whitepoint “As measured”.

Jens van Bellen
    Participant

Alright, I’ll give that a go later on, will keep you posted!

Jens van Bellen
    Participant

Okay, I calibrated with High speed and used whitepoint “As measured”, but the resulting profile has the same orange hue as the previous profiles.

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Okay, I calibrated with High speed and used whitepoint “As measured”

The profile you attached still uses a 6500K calibration, so not as measured.

Jens van Bellen
    Participant

Oh sorry I confused White level and Whitepoint with each other, will try with Whitepoint as measured.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Keep white level as measured as well.

Jens van Bellen
    Participant

Okay, will do that too.

Jens van Bellen
    Participant

Alright, just calibrated with that on as measured as well, havent looked extensively yet, but so far the orange hue looks to be gone.

Attachments:

Wire
    Participant

In long past, I have seen that if you choose non-native white point for panels with off-axis color shifts, e.g., TN displays, a custom profile can render whites funky with viewing angle. But aren’t all Apple portable screens IPS these days?

May be related to support for Night Shift and/or True Tone. Even if you’ve “disabled” these features, the logic that supports them is still in the graphics subsystems.

Rant warning…>

In bigger picture, according to various forums, MacOS Catalina is a can’o worms of bugs and unexpected behaviors at every level of system operation. Apple has taken to issuing maintenance releases with the same version numbers and calling them supplements. Major releases are shipped broken with streams of patches released over following weeks.

Apple-related news has veered towards the topic of an institutional morass and there’s plenty of talk about software management hitting the skids as the company got many high-profile aspects of their software wrong in the last year. The news is not so much that things are going wrong, but the high degree of acceptance of things going wrong and never getting fixed.

There’s a decades old joke “that’s not a bug it’s a feature” which today is no longer a joke. Apple has reached parity with Microsoft in the sheer tonnage of stuff that goes wrong and / or is inscrutable.

And blame Apple for being terrible if you like, but they are currently a huge canary in the coal mine of consumer technology shifting toward pure service support modalities and feature treadmills. Microsoft taught the world about this in the ’00s and Apple caught up in the ’10s. The situation seems to be that computers are so powerful, with so many interdependent and changing parts that systems have become unmanageably complex. Companies have moved to revenue-sustaining release cycles that don’t even try to make their systems correct any more. Business managers see innovation as being about corralling users in a continual churn of interlinked proprietary features. Maintenance is triage and tending the worst cases of failure until the next major release.  For example, certain bugs in MacOS handling of legitimate types of ICC profiles have been a topic of complain on these forums. Consider this review of Apple’s development priorities from one of the longest running Mac user communities:

“Regressions Get Fixed. Old Bugs Get Ignored” and “…bugs that are rare or not terribly serious—those that cause mere confusion instead of data loss—are continually pushed to the back burner by the triage system…”

https://tidbits.com/2019/10/21/six-reasons-why-ios-13-and-catalina-are-so-buggy/

There’s nothing new about this for business. What’s new is the modality has become normal for consumer products And in same vein, regular joes have taken to running betas as if they were production software. So the boundaries are shifting. There’s no longer any pretensions about things being well-understood. It seems if you understand something, you’ve already spent too much time on it and you’re being left behind.

Nobody thinks it’s unusual today for computers to go crazy, blow your deadlines, spoil your presentations, lose your data, get hijacked by cyber-jerks. I’ve always been amazed that people blame themselves when their PC throws away all their data. I’ve seen executives who see getting getting hijacked as some strange right of passage. Like in a world were software is going crazy, it’s OK for your own business and life to be a mess.

Annnd we live in an era where jets literally drop from sky and cars run off the road because of bugs:

Boeing 737 Max failues
    https://qz.com/re/boeing-737-max/

Or search for “Tesla Autopilot failure”.

Paradoxically, maybe these devices are safer than ever?

Watch the sensational HBO dramatization on Chernobyl Disaster.  And who can forget Pan-Am vs. KLM at Tenerife, Union Carbide Bhopal, Challenger. Or even “The Devil Next Door”. There I just invoked Nazis and Godwin’s Law says this thread ends here 🙂

Then again, who remembers those successes that forever changed the shape of the world:
    “Apollo 11’s “1202 Alarm” Explained”
    https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/apollo-11s-1202-alarm-explained

Anyways, the word on the street  WRT Catalina is caveat emptor

Florian Höch
    Administrator

In long past, I have seen that if you choose non-native white point for panels with off-axis color shifts, e.g., TN displays, a custom profile can render whites funky with viewing angle. But aren’t all Apple portable screens IPS these days?

The problem observed in this thread is not related to viewing angle though, but is another macOS bug when the calibration whitepoint does not match the native display whitepoint. Note that I am not able to reproduce this bug under Catalina (Mac mini late 2012 with Intel HD Graphics 4000), so it probably depends on specific hardware (i.e. graphics chipset and related circuitry). The workaround is as described, calibrate to native whitepoint and don’t let the calibration curves adjust luminance (i.e., use defaults). Another workaround is to just ignore the issue in Apple software and use 3rd party products that employ their own, properly working color management (e.g. Adobe Photoshop et al, Open Source software like GIMP, etc), although for most people that may not be a viable solution.

“Regressions Get Fixed. Old Bugs Get Ignored” and “…bugs that are rare or not terribly serious—those that cause mere confusion instead of data loss—are continually pushed to the back burner by the triage system…”

Also relevant (article is in german, it talks about there being little incentive for Apple developers to fix bugs unless they are major show-stoppers due to company culture and policies): https://www.heise.de/mac-and-i/meldung/Insider-Apple-vernachlaessigt-Bug-Reports-4333251.html

There’s nothing new about this for business. What’s new is the modality has become normal for consumer products.

I agree, although I feel it has already been “the new normal” for quite some time, unfortunately.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS