macOS Catalina Pink Tint

Home Forums General Discussion macOS Catalina Pink Tint

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Calny
    Participant

I calibrated my 2019 MacBook Pro with an older version of CALMAN with no issues. The calibration looked great. However after updating to macOS 10.15, whites have a pink tint. I have no idea where the issue is, has anyone else seen this? Do I need to do a re-cal?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Only the whites? What happens when you assign the default profile in System Preferences? Also, is this still with CalMAN? If so, you should probably contact Portrait Displays support.

Calny
    Participant

It appears to only be visible on white or tan colors. If I select the default color profile everything appears to be normal. And that was a typo, I’m not using calman, I meant “and older version of displayCAL”.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Might need to create a new profile then. Make sure to use defaults. Except correction, which needs to be “Spectral: LCD PFS Phosphor WLED IPS, 99% P3 (MacBook Pro Retina 2016)”.

Calny
    Participant

Thank you. I’ll do that!

Calny
    Participant

So I did a full recalibration and at first I thought it fixed the pink issue but it didn’t. What’s strange is sometimes the whites are pink and sometimes they aren’t. It’s mostly apparent in macOS window shadows.

Also the second issue is the accuracy of the calibration. My previous calibrated have has around 1.5 for Average delta E and maybe just above 2 for the highest error. The latest calibration has a average delta E of around 4. And doesn’t appear to be using P4 color gamut.

Calny
    Participant

P3*

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So I did a full recalibration and at first I thought it fixed the pink issue but it didn’t. What’s strange is sometimes the whites are pink and sometimes they aren’t. It’s mostly apparent in macOS window shadows.

Possibly macOS graphics (driver?) bug.

Also the second issue is the accuracy of the calibration. My previous calibrated have has around 1.5 for Average delta E and maybe just above 2 for the highest error. The latest calibration has a average delta E of around 4. And doesn’t appear to be using P4 color gamut.

Disable night light and automatic brightness. What’s your measurement instrument?

Calny
    Participant

Yeah I’m thinking most likely some bug with macOS. Just curious if anyone else has had the issue.

Also auto brightness, night mode, and true tone is disabled.

Jens van Bellen
    Participant

I’m having a sort like problem, but instead of a pink tint, I have an orange tint. Only visible in light grey/white areas and the shadows of OS windows.

On macOS Mojave I had no problems, but after updating to macOS Carolina the problem started. I tried creating a couple new profiles, but that’s not working.

Im using a MacBook Pro 15″ 2018 on macOS 10.15 with the latest supplemental update, with DisplayCAL 3.8.7.1 & ArgyllCMS 2.1.1 (downloaded via DisplayCAL), with a ColorMunki Display. I also have things like auto brightness, True Tone and night shift turned off. As soon as I switch back to the default “Colour LCD” profile in System Preferences>Displays>Colour all looks well again.

See the attachments for the settings I’m using.

I hope this can get fixed soon, as I have a boatload of photo’s from a recent trip I’d like to edit haha.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Calny
    Participant

That’s exactly the issue I have except with macOS. I suppose you’re right it’s more of an orange tint.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Attach the profile please (“Create compressed archive…” in DisplayCAL).

Jens van Bellen
    Participant

Ok! See attached file for profile.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The display seems to have drifted during calibration. Re-do the calibration & profile, but use high or medium calibration speed, not slow.

Also make sure that ambient light does not interfere with calibration.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 6 months ago by Florian Höch.

Jens van Bellen
    Participant

Okay, I’ll try creating a high calibration speed profile tonight.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS