MacBook Pro 15" Touch Bar 2018 & Soft Proof

Home Forums Help and Support MacBook Pro 15" Touch Bar 2018 & Soft Proof

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

rrliu
    Participant

Hi,

I’m calibrating and profiling the display of my MacBook Pro 15″ Touch Bar 2018 using an x-rite i1 Display Pro.  Referring to the built-in preset profiles, Laptop (Gamma 2.2), Office & Web (D65, Gamma 2.2), and Photo (D50, Gamma 2.2) give good results, but Softproof (5800K, 160 cd/m², L*) produces a profile that transforms the screen into a psychedelic experience.  I am attaching it.

I have tried several things, including turning off automatic brightness adjustment and True Tone, all to no avail.

Day before yesterday, while the MBP was connected via a dock to an Apple Thunderbolt Display and the i1 Display Pro was either connected to that display or to the MBP through an LMP USB-C Mini Dock  (I don’t remember which), I did not notice the problem.  But later, when the MBP was running standalone, the same profile produced psychedelic results.

Is this problem known?  I found nothing about it in the forums.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

during profiling, black and the primary colors measured as some shade of white respective cyan. Something must have moved in front of the measurement window. You can try again and re-use the existing calibration (set all options on the calibration tab to “as measured” and disable interactive adjustment, then click “profile only”).

rrliu
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Thanks.  I don’t recall anything getting in the way of the measurement window.  It was on top of a few windows.  The real estate on a 15″ screen is quite limited, and without an external monitor the System Preferences window to adjust the brightness of the display and the tabbed DisplayCAL window share the width of the screen, and the measurement window overlays considerable portions of both.  That didn’t happen when the Thunderbolt display was connected.  When profiling the laptop’s display the System Preferences and maybe also the DisplayCAL window were on the external monitor.

At any rate, I think I did what you suggested.  The laptop was using a profile that is alright, not the one that I sent you.  So I selected that one in the Settings, set all the options in the Calibration tab to “as measured,” unchecked interactive adjustment, then clicked Profile only.  I opted at the end to activate the resulting profile, and at least the screen looks normal.  However, I don’t know whether that profile is now the equivalent of the one that I was trying to create when the one that I sent you resulted.

I am sending the “Profile only” profile.

I will try to create the desired profile from scratch, being careful to remain well away from the measurement window.

Regards

Attachments:

rrliu
    Participant

Hi,

So I tried to calibrate and profile using the preset Softproof.  I when I finished setting the brightness to 160 cd/m I interrupted the procedure, closed the System Preferences, and restarted DisplayCAL.  I did this so that one DisplayCAL would be running of the screen, since I no longer had to set the brightness.  Then I ran the Softproof.  At no time did anything else but DisplayCAL and its  windows appear on the screen.  Auto brightness adjustment and True Tone are off.

The process seems to go alright until the very end, after the third iteration.  Then, the lens opening turns to primary colors.  In the log I saw a zero divide, but couldn’t save the log because DisplayCAL hung and I had to force quit it.

I see drift correction is not checked.  I thought it used to be, but maybe I’m wrong.  I don’t know what is happening.  It seems to have something to do with setting the white level.  The profiles that seem OK don’t specify it.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

In the log I saw a zero divide, but couldn’t save the log because DisplayCAL hung and I had to force quit it.

Probably something went wrong when measuring the white level (this should never measure as zero). The log is always available via Console.app, but it is usually easier to just create a compressed archive of all logs from within DisplayCAL.

rrliu
    Participant

Hi,

Here’s the compressed archive of all logs.

Regards

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m beginning to think your i1D3 might be broken. Some of the measurements are basically random garbage. Does it work with the X-Rite software?

rrliu
    Participant

Hi,

I don’t use the X-Rite software.  Besides DisplayCAL I use basICColor display.  It, too, was unable to make a valid profile with D50, L* and 160 cd/m².  It seems regardless of whether I set the brightness manually or let the software try to do it, in the end the validation finds it’s way too low.

At this point, I’m still not sure it’s the i1D3.  The MacBook Pro 15″ Touch Bar 2018 is brand new.  The 17″ MacBook Pro Unibody late-2011 is busy now.  It’s connected to the Thunderbolt Display.  When I have the time, let me run DisplayCAL on the new MBP15 connected to the Thunderbolt Display, then on the “old” combination of MBP17 + Thunderbolt Display.

I wonder whether it couldn’t be the USB-C dock.  Thanks to Apple minimalism it’s impossible to connect the i1D3 directly to the MBP15.

Thanks for your help thus far.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The problems you’re having are not brightness related, but the instrument sporadically returning XYZ readings that are way out of whack, as well as very suspicious (hue wise) whitepoint readings that seem much too warm. If that’s caused by the dock, it’s definitely a weird problem. You should verify that the instrument can work correctly on another computer (as I understand, that’s what you are currently doing).

rrliu
    Participant

Hi Florian,

I think the enclosed experiment points the finger at the Retina display on the new machine, the effects of which can be somewhat mitigated by attaching the Thunderbolt Display.  I am enclosing all pertinent files.  A detailed description is in the README.

Thanks

Attachments:

Florian Höch
    Administrator

All the profiles in the latest attached archive are fine.

If you had automatic brightness adjustment or True Tone active for any of the previous botched measurements, that would explain it.

rrliu
    Participant

Bit why does the Softproof profile created with connected Thunderbolt Display for the MBP15 not work as soon as that display is disconnected?  I will try profiling the MBP15 without it and with auto brightness adjustment and True Tone off.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Bit why does the Softproof profile created with connected Thunderbolt Display for the MBP15 not work as soon as that display is disconnected?

One of the many color-related bugs in macOS, I assume. Restarting the system should help.

rrliu
    Participant

Hi,

I removed the external monitor after shutting down, before starting up.  I’ll try to produce a Softproof profile without the external display and with all the automatic adjustments to the display in macOS turned off.

Thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m not sure why you’d expect a different outcome. The profile is fine as-is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS