LUT Calibration for DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Home Forums Help and Support LUT Calibration for DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Ocean
    Participant

Hello! This is my first post here, and I look forward to joining the DisplayCAL community!

I work on a 2012 MacBook Pro retina and a NEC PA 271W.  So far I have calibrated with an i1Pro creating .icc  and NEC Spectraview II software (for Photoshop, Capture One Pro, Final Cut Pro X)

I started working with DaVinci Resolve 14.2 – and the .icc profiles cannot be read.

I found this video on how to calibrate DaVinci with DisplayCAL (it’s in German, but if you jump halfway into the tutorial you see what he’s doing on the screen) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzLwKDrkeBk

Question: Does this work?

And what happens when I work in Photoshop? Will Photoshop still access the .icc profiles ? Or will the LUT calibration affect the use of the .icc profiles by Photoshop & CO?

I’m asking because profiling the monitor twice with different software may result in bad color overall. I’m a professional photographer and if Photoshop loses its .icc profiles I’m in big trouble.

Thank you!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi and welcome to the forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzLwKDrkeBk

Question: Does this work?

It should. There’s also an extensive guide in the Wiki.

And what happens when I work in Photoshop? Will Photoshop still access the .icc profiles ?

Yes.

Or will the LUT calibration affect the use of the .icc profiles by Photoshop & CO?

No. The 3D LUT only affects Resolve’s output.

Ocean
    Participant

Thank you, Florian.

I have just one concern:

At the beginning of the 3D LUT creation, one has to change R G B via the monitor hard buttons.

This would change the way the monitor displays color, wouldn’t it? And therefore affect all other applications like Photoshop as well.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

At the beginning of the 3D LUT creation, one has to change R G B via the monitor hard buttons.

This step is optional, and fine to skip if you’d rather want the 3D LUT to do all the work.

Ocean
    Participant

Thank you!

I am working on a single 27″ NEC monitor and cannot put up a second monitor at this time as my desk space is limited.

All the instructions I found are for second monitors connected to the computer through some decklink or other USB output device.

Is the process to create the 3D LUT inside DaVinci Resolve any different if you have only a one monitor system, and is my Photoshop calibration / .icc file still safe and unchanged after a 3DLUT creation.

(I’m currently on a deadline so any mess-up would be very problematic for me)

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is the process to create the 3D LUT inside DaVinci Resolve any different if you have only a one monitor system, and is my Photoshop calibration / .icc file still safe and unchanged after a 3DLUT creation.

If you already have an ICC profile (created by DisplayCAL or 3rd party application in ICCv2 format) for the monitor in question, there is no need for additional measurements. Simply select the existing profile under “Settings” in DisplayCAL, enable the 3D LUT tab, set 3D LUT format to IRIDAS cube, full range 0-255, 65x65x65 and create the 3D LUT.

Ocean
    Participant

Thank you, Florian.

Sorry for the late reply, I was all taken up by a project and fell behind in my email correspondence.

Ocean
    Participant

I cannot find the .icc profile in Settings. I can only choose the type of 3DLUT  – so I chose 3dLUT for Resolve/Rec.1886

But how do I access my .icc file?

I have a NEW Pa271w and calibrated with Spectraview II   (My monitor is on its last leg and cannot achieve white point any more, so I have to use the existing .icc profile which gives me a decent image, but I cannot create a new one until I buy a new monitor. The PA271q is about to come out but I have to make do with my monitor for another 1 – 2 months.

I downloaded that software part that fits my display – but then I found out I was going towards profiling the monitor again.

So how do I actually get a hold of the .icc file and turn it into a 3DLUT file that I can load into the GUI viewer in Davinci Resolve 14.2?

Willian Aleman
    Participant

I cannot find the .icc profile in Settings. I can only choose the type of 3DLUT  – so I chose 3dLUT for Resolve/Rec.1886

But how do I access my .icc file?

I have a NEW Pa271w and calibrated with Spectraview II   (My monitor is on its last leg and cannot achieve white point any more, so I have to use the existing .icc profile which gives me a decent image, but I cannot create a new one until I buy a new monitor. The PA271q is about to come out but I have to make do with my monitor for another 1 – 2 months.

I downloaded that software part that fits my display – but then I found out I was going towards profiling the monitor again.

So how do I actually get a hold of the .icc file and turn it into a 3DLUT file that I can load into the GUI viewer in Davinci Resolve 14.2?

There is a session in the WIKI explaining just how to create and load a 3D LUT for and in Resolve Viewer.

Ocean
    Participant

Yes, I have read that, but this is creating a new measurement and calibration.

I want to use the .icc file that I already have.

My monitor can no longer be calibrated and the model I want to buy will only be available in about 6 weeks.

So, until then, I have to use the existing .icc file.

Florian Hoechst mentioned there’s a way to use this existing .icc file – but the I couldn’t do it the way he proposed it : I cannot see a cerated .icc file in “Settings”. Only things like “Default Gamma 2.2” and “3D LUT for Resolve”, there is no item to navigate to the location of the .icc file.

I tried to open the 3D LUT creator from the DisplayCal folder but an error message followed “cannot be opened”

This is what I need to convert a .icc into a 3DLUT:

1. Navigate to the .icc file
    2. start processing it.

I could not find any hints on that process in the Wiki – only complete calibrations that I currently cannot do.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

Independently that your monitor cannot be calibrated, please try this:

In DisplayCAL>File< select Upload Profile. Point the dialog window to the location where the relevant .ICC file is located. Select it and choose Open. It should appear now in DisplayCAL,  Settings contextual menu. You can create your 3D LUT from there.

Since you are working with an external display,  please select the process for creating Resolve 3D LUT for the Video Monitor, instead of the Viewer.  The process for the Viewer is to be used for direct display, (laptop, iMac, etc). Remember to disable, Apply Calibration (vcgt) under DisplayCAL 3D LUT tab, otherwise the LUT is going to be applied twice.

I never had the need yet to do what you are trying to do. However, I hope this helps.

Vincent
    Participant

1. Navigate to the .icc file
    2. start processing it.

I could not find any hints on that process in the Wiki – only complete calibrations that I currently cannot do.

1)
    ICC file generated from Spectraview II should be installed in your profile folder at OS or user level. I do not use OX but maybe they are in
    /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays/
    Anyway, run ColorSync, then go to your NEC display in devices. It should show your current profile path & default profile.

2)
    I’m going to assume that you have no access to a colorimeter or other measurement device right now (*), so you just want to use an existing profile that you take as granted that is accurate and that Resolve output do not seem to “modify” output when no LUT3D is loaded.

Run manually DisplayCAL-3DLUT-maker.
    Set your NEC display “current” profile (path in answer 1) as “Destination Profile”.
    If you work with Rec709 content in Resolve, set Rec709 as source profile.
    Since that PA271W is very aged as you said it would be << 1000:1 so my advice will be to choose 2.4 gamma with Black output offset 100% instead of Rec1886… but it’s just an opinion.
    Choose LUT format that you need, compute LUT3D and import it to your software (Resolve)

(*) If you have access to a i1Displaypro or something like that, it does not matter that you cannot touch your PA271W controls or OSD, or internal calibration with Spectraview II in order to make a (software) LUT3D for Resolve.
    DisplayCAL just need to “profile” your display (measure how it performs) through Resolve outout.
    With that profile DisplayCAL will do the same steps I explained in answer 2, but it should be more accurate than that old icc from SV2 software.

(Edit: I did not see William post)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

Vincent wrote:

(Edit: I did not see William post)

I believe Vincent meant Willian post.

Ocean
    Participant

Thank you.

I found an .icc profile in both Color Sync folders, once on the root level, once on the user library level.

Both times I could not upload the file into DisplayCal. I got the error: “This file does not contain the necessary meta information”

Strange: my last successful calibration was in January, but the date on the .icc profile was from June.

It had the name of my monitor in the profile name.

I could not find an older .icc profile for my monitor.

Ocean
    Participant

I got a reply in the Blackmagic forum, that DisplayCal cannot convert .icc profiles that were not made by DisplayCal.

One needs to use the 3Dlut maker. Only, it doesn’t open. It’s a 115kb file and double clicking gets the error message “this application could not be opened”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS