LUT Calibration for DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Home Forums Help and Support LUT Calibration for DaVinci Resolve 14.2

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Willian Aleman
    Participant

You are not alone on this. Not that I currently need the 3D LUT Maker, but I just tried it to see if your case was isolated. I can not open the 3D LUT Maker either. However, in my case, I don’t remember entering the commands Florian was asking at the Blackmagic Design Forum.

It would be interesting to know if these commands can be entered after DisplayCAL installation, otherwise, I suppose that the solution will be to re-install the application.

Vincent
    Participant

I got a reply in the Blackmagic forum, that DisplayCal cannot convert .icc profiles that were not made by DisplayCal.

Not true, not for all others at least. I can use ICC v2 profiles from Xrite software with ArgyllCMS 2.0 and DisplayCAL 3.6 on OSX High Sierra 10.13.5 (17F77)
    Maybe your icc profile is v4 or its faulty… or you are trying to use it for HDR/HLG luts that need cd/m2 information.

Anyway, since Spectraview II and Color Navigator profiles are highly “idealized” in order to minimize rounding errors in color managed apps… you can try to create an equivalent Synthetic ICC profile equal to yours. There is an app in DisplayCAL to do that. There are several tools to read your current ICC profile info: one is DisplayCAL profile info, ICC profile inspector is another (but you may need to deal with PCS to Illuminant coordinate conversion by yourself)… etc

It would be easier if you had a i1DisplayPro colorimeter right now, just “profile” (measure without calibrating). You’ll need it for PA271Q, so maybe it’s time to get one.

One needs to use the 3Dlut maker. Only, it doesn’t open. It’s a 115kb file and double clicking gets the error message “this application could not be opened”

Runs fine with ArgyllCMS 2.0 and DisplayCAL 3.6 on OSX High Sierra 10.13.5 (17F77): madVR, iridas cube… it runs OK.

Anyway, since this tool is just needed to compute a 3D LUT you can use it on another computer/OS/VirtualMachine as long as you have source and destination profiles in that machine. Then copy back LUT3D file to your system.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Ocean
    Participant

You are not alone on this. Not that I currently need the 3D LUT Maker, but I just tried it to see if your case was isolated. I can not open the 3D LUT Maker either. However, in my case, I don’t remember entering the commands Florian was asking at the Blackmagic Design Forum.

It would be interesting to know if these commands can be entered after DisplayCAL installation, otherwise, I suppose that the solution will be to re-install the application.

If I hadn’t entered Florian’s command, DisplayCal wouldn’t open, either.

I think the file containing the 3dlut maker is either corrupt or incompatible with High Sierra.

Ocean
    Participant

I got a reply in the Blackmagic forum, that DisplayCal cannot convert .icc profiles that were not made by DisplayCal.

Not true, not for all others at least. I can use ICC v2 profiles from Xrite software with ArgyllCMS 2.0 and DisplayCAL 3.6 on OSX High Sierra 10.13.5 (17F77)
    Maybe your icc profile is v4 or its faulty… or you are trying to use it for HDR/HLG luts that need cd/m2 information.

Anyway, since Spectraview II and Color Navigator profiles are highly “idealized” in order to minimize rounding errors in color managed apps… you can try to create an equivalent Synthetic ICC profile equal to yours. There is an app in DisplayCAL to do that. There are several tools to read your current ICC profile info: one is DisplayCAL profile info, ICC profile inspector is another (but you may need to deal with PCS to Illuminant coordinate conversion by yourself)… etc

It would be easier if you had a i1DisplayPro colorimeter right now, just “profile” (measure without calibrating). You’ll need it for PA271Q, so maybe it’s time to get one.

One needs to use the 3Dlut maker. Only, it doesn’t open. It’s a 115kb file and double clicking gets the error message “this application could not be opened”

Runs fine with ArgyllCMS 2.0 and DisplayCAL 3.6 on OSX High Sierra 10.13.5 (17F77): madVR, iridas cube… it runs OK.

Anyway, since this tool is just needed to compute a 3D LUT you can use it on another computer/OS/VirtualMachine as long as you have source and destination profiles in that machine. Then copy back LUT3D file to your system.

I haven i1 Display Pro, but my display does no longer calibrate. I have to buy a new one, but the new NEC 271Q is only coming out in about six to eight weeks.

So I have to use the .icc profile for my monitor that I have.

Which app can convert the .icc by Spectraview in a more widely readable one? And how do you do it?

Vincent
    Participant

I haven i1 Display Pro, but my display does no longer calibrate. I have to buy a new one, but the new NEC 271Q is only coming out in about six to eight weeks.

As I said before you do not have to calibrate it to use with Resolve, “just profile”. Just measure the monitor response and creeate a profile. It does not matter if Spectraview II is no longer working with your monitor because you do not need to calibrate it. Use your existing calibration, then just profile with DisplayCAL. In order to just profile set all calibration targets to native. When done “calibration” button will change to “profile”

Then you hace an updated description of your monitor’s response = a profile.

So I have to use the .icc profile for my monitor that I have.

No need for that as explained above.

Which app can convert the .icc by Spectraview in a more widely readable one? And how do you do it?

Just open one of the apps I told you to see the contenst of your profile, better if you could use DIsplaycal profile info app.

Then open DisplayCAL Synthetic ICC app and copy the values for R,G,B & white illuminant XYZ coordinates. Do the same for gamma value if TRC value is near constant.

But since you have an i1DisplayPro at your displosal, it’s better to make a new profile. No need to calibrate it, just make a profile by measuring monitor’s response.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Vincent.

Ocean
    Participant

Thank you, Vincent.

I tried to open “ICC Profile Info” from the Display Cal folder.

I get the error message ” The application ICC Profile info could not be opened”

It has 111kb – I wonder if that’s the whole app or if the download has somehow damaged the files. DisplayCal opens, by the way.

I have never measured the display response with i1 Display Pro – how do you do that? And would you need “ICC Profile Info” for that?

Vincent
    Participant

Thank you, Vincent.

I tried to open “ICC Profile Info” from the Display Cal folder.

I get the error message ” The application ICC Profile info could not be opened”

It has 111kb – I wonder if that’s the whole app or if the download has somehow damaged the files. DisplayCal opens, by the way.

Seems to be an error in your system, DIsplayCAL and ArgyllCMS runs fin ein High Sierra

I have never measured the display response with i1 Display Pro – how do you do that?

I said it in my previous message: set all calibration targets in DisplayCAL to “native”. Then Calibrate button on the bottom will change to “Profile”. Click it, it will measure and make a profile. No calibration, just profile of your PA271W at its current state.

And would you need “ICC Profile Info” for that?

Noo need for that. It was a solution if you do not have access to an i1DisplayPro, to manually make a Synthetic ICC profile equivalent to your current Spectraview icc.

Ocean
    Participant

Thanks, Vincent.

And this profile that I create, where do I put it so the viewer shows me the correct contrast, brightness, and color?

Vincent
    Participant

Use that profile in LUT3D maker to make a LUT3D file for Resolve. As said before, if your OSX instalation is unable to run DisplayCAL’s LUT3D maker, use another computer. You just need source profile and destination profile. Then copy back LUT3D file to your Mac anc configure Resolve with it.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS