Lots of questions!

Home Forums Help and Support Lots of questions!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Liam Wilson
    Participant

First of all, thanks for all of your great work and also to the community. Spent many many hours of reading on here recently. Just wondering if I could get more of an understanding on how various settings interact and basically fine tune my profiles and after using profiles with the default settings for sometime.

My use case at the moment is 1. PC monitor that plays games from the PC and general use 2. HDTV that plays games from the same PC, but also has a separate dedicated HTPC attached using MP-HC + MadVR.

The HDTV first;
    I have calibrated to the best of my ability the general settings using a DVD (on a PS4) and chromapure as a general calibration given the TV uses several different sources through the same port. I have done this to 6500k and 2.2 gamma curve (with the minimal TVs OSD).

Therefore I am aiming to do all the calibration through the 3DLUT itself for madvr (the HTPC is used for nothing else). There am I best leaving all calibration settings to “As measured”? Or turning off interactive measurement, this does the same thing? The something I have really struggled to get my head around: from what I have read absolute with white point scaling would be best as the source will be 6500k (Rec 709) and the TV has been calibrated to 6500k (or close as I can get to it), but displaycal recommends Relative rendering intent. Actually I feel from what I have read maybe I am worrying about this setting too much?

Regarding gamma/tone curve, this seems to be more difficult as it partially down to preference I get the impression. As I said, my TV is calibrated to 2.2 due to its general use. For MadVR my instinct is to aim for 2.4 absolute, but I wonder with my Sony W905 and its good but not amazing blacks, being a pragmatist and going 2.4 relative. Or should I be setting this 2.2 given my TV is calibrated to this. What in practical terms in my situation, as has been recommended somewhere in the forum, say setting black output offset to 80%. The source material is watched in near pitch black, with just a faint LED backlight on the back of the TV.

The PC/PC Monitor;
    I have set white point 6500k (as acutally its a dual monitor set up), white level as measured using the monitor OSD to get 120cd/m. Gamma 2.2 relative black output offset 90% as I seem to have black crushing no matter how I set brightness/contrast (again this is from looking at other peoples topics). Would anyone have any input on this to fine tune?

I am to use 3DLUT with Reshade certain games on the PC but also use them sometimes on the TV. Is this going to unfeasible? Need two separate 3DLUTs generating? I have already calibrated using interactive display adjustment and installed a XYZ LUT + matrix to both monitors, using the above settings, am I best omitting interactive display adjustment and using “As measured” for everything in calibration? Or setting the gamma as I did for making the PC profiles i.e. gamma 2.2, relative, 90% BOO? Does this get overridden anyway in the 3DLUT? In the 3D LUT setting it defaults to 2.4 absolute, I was under impression that most games are to 2.2 standard (but very variable). Again given the above, should I override the default as the source will be 6500k and the monitor is already calibrated to best I can to 6500k, and change to absolute colorimetric with WPS? Also, not sure what apply calibration (vcgt) needs to be set to in my situation.

So for the long winded post. I have read the full documentation and been browsing here for sometime but the above I can’t seem to nail down in my head.

Thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Therefore I am aiming to do all the calibration through the 3DLUT itself for madvr (the HTPC is used for nothing else). There am I best leaving all calibration settings to “As measured”?

Correct, yes.

The something I have really struggled to get my head around: from what I have read absolute with white point scaling would be best as the source will be 6500k (Rec 709) and the TV has been calibrated to 6500k (or close as I can get to it), but displaycal recommends Relative rendering intent.

If the TV is already adjusted to the desired white point target, then yes, no further adjustment of the whitepoint through the 3D LUT is necessary and both absolute and relative colorimetric will produce the same result.

Regarding gamma/tone curve, this seems to be more difficult as it partially down to preference I get the impression.

That is correct.

I am to use 3DLUT with Reshade certain games on the PC but also use them sometimes on the TV. Is this going to unfeasible? Need two separate 3DLUTs generating?

You can generate several 3D LUTs off of the same profile (uncheck “Create 3D LUT after profiling”).

Does this (gamma i.e. tone response curve) get overridden anyway in the 3DLUT?

Yes.

I was under impression that most games are to 2.2 standard (but very variable).

There’s no specific standard for games. Computer graphics are usually assumed to be created with sRGB in mind (i.e. intended to be viewed on a roughly Rec. 709 gamut monitor with roughly gamma 2.2 tone curve characteristic), and Rec. 709 with BT.1886 is a pretty good match to that.

Also, not sure what apply calibration (vcgt) needs to be set to in my situation.

I think this is mentioned in the Wiki entry regarding the topic, but what you would do on a Windows machine is apply the calibration to the 3D LUT as usual and then add an exception in the DisplayCAL profile loader for every game you intend to use the 3D LUT with so that the videoLUT gets reset to linear while the game is running.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS