Lenovo w530 laptop calibration 6500 vs native

Home Forums Help and Support Lenovo w530 laptop calibration 6500 vs native

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Avrohom Yosef Gross
    Participant

Im using my lenovo w530 with a fhd panel which from what i understand is 100 percent srgb and 95 percent argb

My question is

the native whitepoint is approx 7000k

I did a calibration of native white point and 6500 for photo work

the 6500k looks good (just a little warmer) but from other things i read you should use native whitepoint on laptops

anyone able to interperate my profiles and tell me which one is better

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Just look how many unique grey levels you loose because of whitepoint and grey neutrality/gamma correction in video card LUT: 7 (native) vs 14% (D65), choose the lesser evil for you. Also try to do a visual inspection of a grey gradient in a non color managed enviroment (MS paint) and color managed (PS/GIMP without dither and LR/CaptureOne/mpv/madVR with dither, second option gives best attainable results). Keep the one which looks better in the application  you use most of time. Single single curve+matrix usualy gets better color managed gradients regarding banding in non dither color management like GIMP or Photoshop.
    Anyway, factory calibration looks very bad (profile calibration curves show huge corrections for your two profiles) so it seems that some degree of banding in such laptop is unavoidable unless internal display is not driven by intel iGPU.

FYI: From profile info it looks that native cool white is still white, 1.2dE to daylight locus which is good, othe laptops may have green-pink tints in native white. Yours just look bluer than D65.

P.S: Did you use a color munki smile? That colorimeter is not suitable for that kind of widegamut (AdobeRGB/P3-like) LED backlights… hence your calibration or any kind of validation or measure made with that colorimter to that display  may not be trustable at all. Get a Munki Display at least.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Vincent.

Avrohom Yosef Gross
    Participant

Tbh purchased the colormunki smile way before I got this laptop.

So in your opinion native should still be fine for editing work?

And the smile is basicly useless on a display like this?

Sorry I only have basic color management knowledge.

Vincent
    Participant

Tbh purchased the colormunki smile way before I got this laptop.

So in your opinion native should still be fine for editing work?

Web design & sRGB… maybe, just do a visual check of gradients: color and no color management. If banding looks unnaceptable the answer is no …and it will be “no” to almost all laptop or AIO unless out of the box they have neutral grey, close to D65 white and near 2.2 gamma like some MS Surfaces for example.

For print match to screen I’ll say no for every laptop unless there is some HW calibratable Cintiq or similar brand that allows you to set white point internally. Otherwise you may lose … additional 10-15% loose? of unique grey levels when calibration to a warmer white more suitable for print, like usual D50 white to use Photoshop softproof and match against a print illuminated by a “cheap” or “pro” near D50 spectrum light source: CCFL D50 lamps, 5000K solux halogen, Violet +rgb LED like Yujis… etc.
    IDNK what kind of hardware do you have or what do you want to do, IDNK your “quality requirements”, IDNK your budget…

If a visual check of gradients is OK or near OK (color and non color managed enviroments as explained above) it should be OK for web and sRGB  design.
    If you want AdobeRGB editing… it’s likely that you want to print… and then things usually do not look good for a laptop, reasons explained above… but again, do a visual check, if it looks good then use it.

And the smile is basicly useless on a display like this?

Visual inspect white at D65 calibration. Does it look white? Here you have the answer … but without looking at it I would say to get a Colormunki Display or i1DisplayPro. Do visual check by yourself if you do not have access to a higher end instrument for comparisons. I would say that if you do web design or illustration gradient corruption by banding would be worse that a slight color cast in white, but that’s just MHO, what it bothers me most.

You’ll need an spectral correction for that kind of backlight and i1d3 devicxes (munki display / i1dispalypro): currently 3 flavors for displays like yours: GB-LED (bundled with Xrite software), QLED (checkout Displaycal correction database, there is one for Benw SW2700PT but unfortunately is not as good as it should be, its an AdoberGB gamut emulation not  native) and W-LED PFS (bundled in HP hardware calibration software for Z32X or some samples in DisplayCAL correction database but most f them suffer the same issues like SW2700PT one, uploader’s fault, not DisplayCAL’s).
    The easy approach is to use GB-LED (RG phopshor in Xrite naming). If your display has more contrast than 1100:1 at native white I’ll go for W-LED PFS… but without a spectrophotometer or actual display panel info… this is just an educated guess

Spectral corrections are CCSS text files with spectral power distribution of a sample display. That info with an i1d3 firmware data (per unit) gives you a correction for that colorimeter and that sample display. It works very well, very clever auto correction mechanism, “just software”, so it is future proof as long as we have ArgyllCMS.

AFAIK Munki Smile does not support that kind of corrections, just matrix corrections from a spectrophotomeyter for THAT particular colorimeter and THAT perticular display… so they are “No portable”. CCSS are portable between i1d3 and “same panel type” displays.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS