Is my white point off?

Home Forums Help and Support Is my white point off?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Todd Nilssen
    Participant

I downloaded this from the AVS forum: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/2269338-10-bit-gradient-test-patterns.html

I opened it up with the LUT I made in DisplayCal and did indeed see banding and slight green/pink in the low end of the scale. Even without the LUT applied banding was visible.

I should have told you I did an initial calibration/profile with DUCCS before using DisplayCal. Ive been reading on the forum and I’m seeing that the display loaders for those programs can cause the profile to load up in 8bit.

Should I remove DUCCS, and the xrite loader and do another calibration pass? My monitor is only a little more than a year old, so yeah, I’m not sure whats going on with it.

Vincent
    Participant

I downloaded this from the AVS forum: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/2269338-10-bit-gradient-test-patterns.html

I opened it up with the LUT I made in DisplayCal and did indeed see banding and slight green/pink in the low end of the scale. Even without the LUT applied banding was visible.

I should have told you I did an initial calibration/profile with DUCCS before using DisplayCal. Ive been reading on the forum and I’m seeing that the display loaders for those programs can cause the profile to load up in 8bit.

Should I remove DUCCS, and the xrite loader and do another calibration pass? My monitor is only a little more than a year old, so yeah, I’m not sure whats going on with it.

No. Go to Windows Taskbar > Startup? (My Windows is not english verison) > XRGamma loader or something like that, disable it from startup. Reboot.
    Also every time you make a calibration with DUCCS it will load typical HW cal GPU LUT (linear=no calibration) but with in the wrong way, like windows, truncating to 8bit LUT contents. Reboot after DUCCS completed its job in CAL1 and CAL2. Now DisplayCAL tray should work as intented (full GPU LUT bitdepth capabilities, whatever they are)

Todd Nilssen
    Participant

Is it better to just use DisplayCal to do the calibration though? Even if I use hardware calibration through DUCCS I’ll still lose Uniformity Compensation in CAL1/CAL2.

I CAN however set my monitors whitepoint to 6500k in the monitor settings without losing UC.

So perhaps Ill disable the XRgamma Loader, reboot, set the monitor to 6500k and run a calibration through DisplayCal again, speed set to low.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS