Images washed out after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Images washed out after calibration

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Vincent
    Participant

The issue should be on synth profile creator or on how PS reads that synth “display profile” as content profile. Choosing rec709 g2.4 embeded on Photoshop it is working as expected on untagged lagom lcd test gradient.h-png. Same using AdobeRGB (g2.2…it’s a grayscale image so you can do it)

Try to use https://www.color.org/profileinspector.xalter on a working sRGB-like ICC on Ps, then import your desired TRC ln rTRC, gTRC, bTRC.

Vincent
    Participant

RawTherapee ICC creator is not working for 2.2 in PS. It may be a PS issue after all

plundh
    Participant

It does feel like a bug. If I select Rec 709 as the Working Space, then the embedded sRGB 2.2 profile suddenly works. Very strange.

Very odd that it’s specifically sRGB 2.2 that doesn’t work, and not sRGB 2.0 or sRGB 2.4 (I tested creating other profiles where the only difference is the gamma). Maybe Photoshop incorrectly assumes that the synthetic profile is equivalent to the regular sRGB, and ignores it? Only thing I can think of.

I guess it’s fine, except that it also doesn’t work correctly in the browsers. Could it be that this kind of synthetic profile is not well supported by some apps?

MW
    Participant

Have you tried Elle Stones profiles?
    https://github.com/ellelstone/elles_icc_profiles

Her site contains some interesting facts about how different apps handle different profile types.
    https://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/lcms-make-icc-profiles.html

Vincent
    Participant

It does feel like a bug. If I select Rec 709 as the Working Space, then the embedded sRGB 2.2 profile suddenly works. Very strange.

Very odd that it’s specifically sRGB 2.2 that doesn’t work, and not sRGB 2.0 or sRGB 2.4 (I tested creating other profiles where the only difference is the gamma). Maybe Photoshop incorrectly assumes that the synthetic profile is equivalent to the regular sRGB, and ignores it? Only thing I can think of.

I guess it’s fine, except that it also doesn’t work correctly in the browsers. Could it be that this kind of synthetic profile is not well supported by some apps?

So it looks like a PS bug ( feature* ) after all, one way or another.

AdobeRGB is 2.2 and gradient is treated properly.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by Vincent.

plundh
    Participant

Have you tried Elle Stones profiles?
    https://github.com/ellelstone/elles_icc_profiles

Thanks, that’s a great resource!

Her profile gives me the same result, though. It’s not a huge deal since I get the correct the result in Photoshop if I select the right profile. The more annoying issue is that things show up too dark in the browser, but that might be an unrelated problem.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by plundh.

MW
    Participant

That might be closer to a confirmation of a bug on the side of PS.

As for Firefox you could test again with a profile contain less than 34 patches you are looking for the cause.

plundh
    Participant

That might be closer to a confirmation of a bug on the side of PS.

As for Firefox you could test again with a profile contain less than 34 patches you are looking for the cause.

Could you point me in the right direction on how to do this? How can I see/decide on the amount of patches?

plundh
    Participant

Actually it looks fine in Firefox – it’s just broken in Edge and Chrome. According to this, it might be because the other two don’t support BPC? (I assume Firefox does today).

So I guess if I want to post images on the web, the best option is still to simply not embed a profile, as otherwise the image will look crunched for everybody who has Chrome or Edge?

Vincent
    Participant

So I guess if I want to post images on the web, the best option is still to simply not embed a profile, as otherwise the image will look crunched for everybody who has Chrome or Edge?

No. Unexerencied users should use display profiles with BPC (fake infinite contrast). Default display ICC from driver are of this kind.

plundh
    Participant

No. Unexerencied users should use display profiles with BPC (fake infinite contrast). Default display ICC from driver are of this kind.

I’m not following – I’m asking how to embed an image correctly, but you are saying I should change my display profile?

plundh
    Participant

Turns out any image with an embedded profile gets crunched blacks in Chrome, even a standard one such as Adobe RGB.

It doesn’t make a difference if I select the “simple curve + matrix” or the LUT display profile. Both were made with BPC. I’m guessing I’ve done something wrong somewhere, or is Chrome just janky?

Testing one of my earlier display profiles without BPC makes the blacks even more crunched.

Vincent
    Participant

I’m not following – I’m asking how to embed an image correctly, but you are saying I should change my display profile?

if CM is not able of BPC itself, your display profile has to fake infinite contrast or have crushed blacks (0 output for non zero input)

Turns out any image with an embedded profile gets crunched blacks in Chrome, even a standard one such as Adobe RGB.

It doesn’t make a difference if I select the “simple curve + matrix” or the LUT display profile. Both were made with BPC. I’m guessing I’ve done something wrong somewhere, or is Chrome just janky?

Testing one of my earlier display profiles without BPC makes the blacks even more crunched.

If BPC active on display profile creation, then Chrome CM is broken… which is somehow expected, it was that way long time ago.

plundh
    Participant

Found this which suggest that it’s still broken, if I understand correctly… https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1216930&q=icc&can=2

“I just confirmed that the ICC profile above has a gamma 2.2 which gets ignored. Along with the almost-SRGB primaries of the ICC profile, we use SRGB instead. I don’t know if we should reconsider our decision for this case since we originally disabled custom transfer functions for raised blacks which we considered a bug at that time and is being asked for here.”

plundh
    Participant

I’ve found a hacky workaround for the Photoshop bug:

When creating the sRGB 2.2 Gamma profile for Embedding, adjust one of the primaries a miniscule amount that is not noticable. (ie. from 0,64 to 0,641). As long as the primaries don’t exactly match sRGB, the profile will work as intended and override the Standard sRGB Working Space.

This is consistent with my guess  that Photoshop discards the profile because it believes they are identical. I’ve tested this using the Custom RGB tool in Photoshop so far.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS