Imac 4k 21.5 and Cintiq pro 24. Help to correct calibrate please :)

Home Forums Help and Support Imac 4k 21.5 and Cintiq pro 24. Help to correct calibrate please :)

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

GINK0SAN
    Participant

If you want D50… use D50. If you want D65, use D65 as calibration white point target. That configuration is up to user.

There is something you need to understand: correcting white point in GPU is done limiting one or more channels max output. That means that brightness is going to drop  from your starting value when you calibrate. The further target white is, the more it will drop. Same applies to unique grey levels.
    That expains 80% grey levels and 60cd/m2 in your results.
    Do you want that? OK.
    No? Use other target (D65) because imacs are not a suitable screens for that, like any other “laptop” (they are just big laptops).

I do d50 because on my eyes is easier and i tried to scan some manga cover i have at home and believe it, with d50 white point, the screen scan and the manga cover are almost identical (the screen has less saturated colors)

For brightness, i have set my imac to  60 because also more than that will hurt my eyes. Is it too low? Thanks

Vincent
    Participant

If you want D50… use D50. If you want D65, use D65 as calibration white point target. That configuration is up to user.

Same for brightness.

GINK0SAN
    Participant

Same for brightness.

Now that i have done calibration for my Imac, for calibrate my Cintiq Pro 24, can i do the same settings??

The cintiq pro 24 according to wacom specs website, has 98 Adobe RGB so i dont think support p3.

This also mean that is better to calibrate my imac screen to adobe rgb to have comparable screen in the workflow? Or i can stay with one in P3 and one in ARGB?

Did also a test in d65 white point attached

Thanks

ps : there is a difference to use 72 or more patches for example 450, when calibrating??

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by GINK0SAN.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by GINK0SAN.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Same for brightness.

Now that i have done calibration for my Imac, for calibrate my Cintiq Pro 24, can i do the same settings??

White point, brighness, gamma & profile type? Yes. Just change colorimeter correction.

The cintiq pro 24 according to wacom specs website, has 98 Adobe RGB so i dont think support p3.

Most widegamut displays have extended native gamut (red) beyond AdobeRGB red. Unless you limit gamut to AdobeRGB using some Cintiq OSD or OS config option or it’s factory limited by some calibration it is very likely to be 9x% P3.

But… profile it and you will know for sure. Any of the three suggested correction swill work for this task: GB-LED, WLED PFS from HP or RGBLED. I’ve explained it before.

This also mean that is better to calibrate my imac screen to adobe rgb to have comparable screen in the workflow? Or i can stay with one in P3 and one in ARGB?

Your iMac cannot be calibrated to that. You calibrate grey, gamma & white to its native gamut. That’s all you can do with its screen.
    Color managed apps should handle how to show proper in-gamut colors. AdobeRGB colors outside imac’s gamut (like AdobeRGB cyan) will be clipped (colorimetric intent) in most apps.

ps : there is a difference to use 72 or more patches for example 450, when calibrating??

Calibrating patches = “calibration speed” configuration.
    Profiling patches = patches measured after calibration to make a profile = to measure how your display behaves after calibration.

So there is no diference for calibration.
    There is a difference for profiling but your OS suffers some issues so it’s recommended using “simple” profiles. Such simple profiles do not need a high amount of patches since they cannot store that data volume.

GINK0SAN
    Participant

Same for brightness.

White point, brighness, gamma & profile type? Yes. Just change colorimeter correction.

Most widegamut displays have extended native gamut (red) beyond AdobeRGB red. Unless you limit gamut to AdobeRGB using some Cintiq OSD or OS config option or it’s factory limited by some calibration it is very likely to be 9x% P3.

But… profile it and you will know for sure. Any of the three suggested correction swill work for this task: GB-LED, WLED PFS from HP or RGBLED. I’ve explained it before.

Your iMac cannot be calibrated to that. You calibrate grey, gamma & white to its native gamut. That’s all you can do with its screen.
    Color managed apps should handle how to show proper in-gamut colors. AdobeRGB colors outside imac’s gamut (like AdobeRGB cyan) will be clipped (colorimetric intent) in most apps.

Calibrating patches = “calibration speed” configuration.
    Profiling patches = patches measured after calibration to make a profile = to measure how your display behaves after calibration.

So there is no diference for calibration.
    There is a difference for profiling but your OS suffers some issues so it’s recommended using “simple” profiles. Such simple profiles do not need a high amount of patches since they cannot store that data volume.

Thanks man! I am calibrating with LED RGB settings

Which is better to choose from Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 control panel? Temperature setting (5000k default) or better to choose a color space setting, and do the calibration on that? Thabnks!

Attachments:

GINK0SAN
    Participant

trong> That configuration is up to user.
    Hi vincent! Ive done Cintiq Pro 24 calibration tests, i tested all the profile settings u have told me to use, but average de is 1.8 i dont know why but soething is off. The Imac d50 calibration is almost perfect i can use it for long time now. No eyestrain.
    Also my cintiq is perfect in d50 but i have this de problem, maybe the settings are different for the cintiq? I tried wled (p3), lcd rgb and the other One for adobe rgb. No luck

Vincent
    Participant

Which is better to choose from Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 control panel? Temperature setting (5000k default) or better to choose a color space setting, and do the calibration on that? Thabnks!

Configure with OSD or Wacom software for Mac which factory preset is closer to your DisplayCAL calibration target.
    For example if you want D50, best to set D50 in Wacom using factory presets. This way white is at least partially corrected using Wacom’s internal LUTs so you’ll loose less unique grey levels than in your Mac.
    (That is a missing feature in current embeded screens for Macbooks or iMacs that would solve some of their issues regarding white point calibration)

Unfortunatelly I see no “native gamut” presets*. All seem to be  “limited” (sRGB, AdobeRGB, P3) or unsuitable for you (rec2020).
    You can make “n” profiles for that Wacom, one with AdobeRGB gamut if you want to use Illustrator and see soem works that you are going to send to some printing services, P3 so it is close to yur mac response, etc…
    A profile is meanmt to be used in OSD preset whcih was used for it. So if you made 2 profiles with DisplayCAL one for P3 and one for AdobeRGB preset, when you change Wacom colorspace preset you should also change default display profile for the Wacom. IDNK if there is a automatized way to make this profile change in macOS.

i tested all the profile settings u have told me to use, but average de is 1.8 i dont know why but soething is off.

By definition a singe curve+matrix profile with black point compensation is a very idealized way to describe a display bahevior. It may not match actual display behavior after calibration. An XYZLUT profile will capture in detail how taht Wacom behaves… but this leads us to macOS color management engine bugs.
    Choose the lesser evil for you: possible color artifacts in macOS menus (but good response in Adobe suite & others) or less accurate profile  and no UI issues with macOS menus. I cannot make that choice.

Also it is important to see where this errors are placed. They should not be placed in grey ramp (with darkest blacks expection).  Also it could be an user error as I explained previously in this post: Wacom colorspace + whitepoint confirguration should be the same used to build your profiles.
    Huge errors in white point or in 255 R , G or B primaries are likely to be caused by this kind of “user error”.
    I see no data from your reports so I’m guessing based on your text response.

(*) Wacom Color Manager presets are very likely to be native gamut, but also “native white” and OSD may not be able to change it.
    These modes looks like HW calibration slots to be used with customized i1Profiler for HW calibration like the one available to Dells or Viewsonics. Unfortunately Wacom version requires you to buy their own version of i1DisplayPro, or at least it was limited in this way in the past (check updated documentation, maybe this limitation is no longer valid). This is an extremely hostile policy towards user that I strongly dislike. Depending on your work buying it and playing their game may or may not be a recomendable approach. IDNK if you need HW calibration for your Wacom or what results you get with DisplayCAL using GPU calibration.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

GINK0SAN
    Participant

Configure with OSD or Wacom software for Mac which factory preset is closer to your DisplayCAL calibration target.<br>
    For example if you want D50, best to set D50 in Wacom using factory presets. This way white is at least partially corrected using Wacom’s internal LUTs so you’ll loose less unique grey levels than in your Mac.<br>
    (That is a missing feature in current embeded screens for Macbooks or iMacs that would solve some of their issues regarding white point calibration)
    Unfortunatelly I see no “native gamut” presets*. All seem to be  “limited” (sRGB, AdobeRGB, P3) or unsuitable for you (rec2020).<br>
    You can make “n” profiles for that Wacom, one with AdobeRGB gamut if you want to use Illustrator and see soem works that you are going to send to some printing services, P3 so it is close to yur mac response, etc…<br>
    A profile is meanmt to be used in OSD preset whcih was used for it. So if you made 2 profiles with DisplayCAL one for P3 and one for AdobeRGB preset, when you change Wacom colorspace preset you should also change default display profile for the Wacom. IDNK if there is a automatized way to make this profile change in macOS.

i tested all the profile settings u have told me to use, but average de is 1.8 i dont know why but soething is off.

By definition a singe curve+matrix profile with black point compensation is a very idealized way to describe a display bahevior. It may not match actual display behavior after calibration. An XYZLUT profile will capture in detail how taht Wacom behaves… but this leads us to macOS color management engine bugs.<br>
    Choose the lesser evil for you: possible color artifacts in macOS menus (but good response in Adobe suite & others) or less accurate profile  and no UI issues with macOS menus. I cannot make that choice.
    Also it is important to see where this errors are placed. They should not be placed in grey ramp (with darkest blacks expection).  Also it could be an user error as I explained previously in this post: Wacom colorspace + whitepoint confirguration should be the same used to build your profiles.<br>
    Huge errors in white point or in 255 R , G or B primaries are likely to be caused by this kind of “user error”.<br>
    I see no data from your reports so I’m guessing based on your text response.
    (*) Wacom Color Manager presets are very likely to be native gamut, but also “native white” and OSD may not be able to change it.<br>
    These modes looks like HW calibration slots to be used with customized i1Profiler for HW calibration like the one available to Dells or Viewsonics. Unfortunately Wacom version requires you to buy their own version of i1DisplayPro, or at least it was limited in this way in the past (check updated documentation, maybe this limitation is no longer valid). This is an extremely hostile policy towards user that I strongly dislike. Depending on your work buying it and playing their game may or may not be a recomendable approach. IDNK if you need HW calibration for your Wacom or what results you get with DisplayCAL using GPU calibration.

Thanks for this infornations Vincent!!
    Yeah im a bit disappointed also like you for companies limitations.. i really dot get it..
    Anyway, so i dont care for UI artifacts i just would like to have calibrated colors for when i paint, that with time i will.memorize in palettes so its Better a profile with more color accuracy.
    So i should let 5000k color temperature and go calibrate with same settings as before, (may i will try p3 or adobe rgb profile settings from display cal), but how many patches i should use? 450? Also when it ask the popup for Apple Ui artifact when i click on calibrate now, what i have to chiose, No or Yes? Thanks

Florian Höch
    Administrator

how many patches i should use? 450?

Use the default for XYZ LUT type profiles (175).

Also when it ask the popup for Apple Ui artifact when i click on calibrate now, what i have to chiose, No or Yes? Thanks

Choosing “yes” would change profile type to single curve + bpc, so select “no”.

GINK0SAN
    Participant

how many patches i should use? 450?

Use the default for XYZ LUT type profiles (175).

Also when it ask the popup for Apple Ui artifact when i click on calibrate now, what i have to chiose, No or Yes? Thanks

Choosing “yes” would change profile type to single curve + bpc, so select “no”.

Thanks! For the wacom cintiq pro do u reccomend enable black drift compensation?
    also should i set Color temp to 5000 and calibrate or choose a space between srgb adobe rgb or dci p3? Thanks!!

GINK0SAN
    Participant

Ive done a calibration on my Cintiq with 5000k setting as color temperature  with this mode “LCD PFS Phosphor WLED IPS, 98% Adobe RGB/96% P3 (HP DreamColor Z24x G2) <HP_DreamColor_Z…x_NewPanel.ccss>”

The result is attached. Ive enabled black drift compensation!

My imac has LCD PFS Phosphor WLED IPS MacBookPro2016 mode, so is P3 gamut at 100%.

Should i calibrate both in Adobe RGB with this same ccss from HP DreamColor??

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

Let’s try to explain it again…

Each screen needs a correction based on its backlight type.

-P3 Mac screens need DisplayCAL WLED PFS CCSS for P3 Macs.

-A widegamut LED like that Cintiq needs its own correction that you should choose between the ones mentioned early (like HP Z24x G2 WLED PFS AdobeRGB that you chose).
    It does not matter which gamut emulation mode you choose in your Cintiq…. or OSD preset in a monitor like a NEC, Eizo or Dell. Backlight type remains the same. All colors such screen can show are a linear combination or native primaries. That’s whay you need to know “backlight type” for each display. It does not matter at all which gamut emulation preset you choose on that screen.

(NOTE: since all these WLED PFS flavors have a similar spectral distribution plot it is very likely that a i1d3 colrimeter will measure very close if you feed it with one version of these WLED PFS… but you have all them, so at least use the proper one for well know screens, like P3 macs)

As you can see from your Cintiq report since you choose a D50 preset written in Cintiq HW, D50 is corrected in GPU by an small amount (Cintiq was almost there), so you keep 96% unique grey levels.
    That feature is missing on (most) laptops and iMacs… that is why you loose that high percent of unique grey levels when yoiu do D50 on a Mac screen. Since it is a HW limitation there is nothing you can do to improve it, unless you choose a cooler white closer to Mac native white (like D65).

Also AFAIK, no “non organic” LED screen needs drift compensation on a device like i1d3, so I would keep that options off, as they are by default.
    Also all these WLED PFS have a more efficient spectral power distribution, they leak less power in near infrared than older widegamut LED technologies like GB-LED (and they didn’t need it)… so it’s more unlikely that you’ll need a drift compensation for them.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks! For the wacom cintiq pro do u reccomend enable black drift compensation?

Black calibration drift only affects spectrometers.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS