Imac 4k 21.5 and Cintiq pro 24. Help to correct calibrate please :)

Home Forums Help and Support Imac 4k 21.5 and Cintiq pro 24. Help to correct calibrate please :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

GINK0SAN
    Participant

hi there! 

I Have a Idisplay Pro (this one “Xrite i1 Display Pro”)  colorimeter, and i tried calibrate both screens, with the Idisplay Profiler software, result are good but i still have some issues with some colors!

Since i have the cintiq pro 24 for drawing, i use it at low luminance, usually 60, because my eyes hurt easy! Also my imac screen is at 80 luminance.

I do mostly web digital painting, illustration, character design, and somethimes i would print illustration or manga pages (color and b/w).

What is the reccomended calibration setup for me? My room is at a good light point for me, not very lit, not very light, could i measure the luminance from the colorimeter in some way to get you more precise info?

I wanna try display cal software because i think is more complete than the idisplay profile one, what do u think? Should i stick with idisplay SW icc profile, or do one with DisplayCal?

So how should i set and start the calibration?

To me i think is important to get more color calibrate possible, so i have no time issue, i can wait 1/2 hour of calibration if needed.

Ah i use photoshop mostly as drawing SW, and i use srgb working profile. Is that good also? Thanks so much!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

GINK0SAN
    Participant

Thoose are the settings i can adjust in the Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 Display Settings Panel.

I can choose temperature, color space (Srgb,adobe rgb… etc), or custom color settings as base.

Which is the one option i have to choose? (Contrast is 50 by default, Luminosità is basically backlight ive set down)

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by GINK0SAN.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Start with default contast for Cintq, choose your desired brightness level, D65 white & 2.2 gamma for the two displays. If all goes OK and you need a warmer paper-white whitepoint you can do it again, but first bet a working one in this way.

In DisplayCAL calibration tab speed aims for number of grey calibration patches. Medium or slow should be able to correct most problematic screens with tints in grey ramp if they are uncalibrated.

Profile type is for use a more idealized or a more accurate display description after calibration. Since macOS have some serious bugs in its desktop & color management engine, things (UI, menus) may get a disgustint tint if you use the accurate one, although images render OK in Adobe suite.
    So unless you move to other OS, user simplest profile type available: single curve + matrix with should be “default” preset in settings.

i1dsplaypro requiers a correctio to measure accurately a display.
    -for sRGB WLED screens (just sRGB) use WLED correction => generic one for common LED displays or TVs
    -for P3 LED Macs use bundled WLED PFS for P3 mac
    -for widegamut LED with almost ful AdobeRGB coverage but 91-94% P3, its very likely to be GB-LED
    -for widegamut LED with almost ful AdobeRGB coverage and >93-94% P3, ist very likely to use graphic arts WLED PFS (better than P3 macs) named “HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel”, bundled with DisplayCAL.
    There are other display types but these are the most common ones. IDNK whcih type is Cintiq 24″, take a look on specs.

GINK0SAN
    Participant

Start with default contast for Cintq, choose your desired brightness level, D65 white & 2.2 gamma for the two displays. If all goes OK and you need a warmer paper-white whitepoint you can do it again, but first bet a working one in this way.

In DisplayCAL calibration tab speed aims for number of grey calibration patches. Medium or slow should be able to correct most problematic screens with tints in grey ramp if they are uncalibrated.

Profile type is for use a more idealized or a more accurate display description after calibration. Since macOS have some serious bugs in its desktop & color management engine, things (UI, menus) may get a disgustint tint if you use the accurate one, although images render OK in Adobe suite.
    So unless you move to other OS, user simplest profile type available: single curve + matrix with should be “default” preset in settings.

i1dsplaypro requiers a correctio to measure accurately a display.
    -for sRGB WLED screens (just sRGB) use WLED correction => generic one for common LED displays or TVs
    -for P3 LED Macs use bundled WLED PFS for P3 mac
    -for widegamut LED with almost ful AdobeRGB coverage but 91-94% P3, its very likely to be GB-LED
    -for widegamut LED with almost ful AdobeRGB coverage and >93-94% P3, ist very likely to use graphic arts WLED PFS (better than P3 macs) named “HP_DreamColor_Z24x_NewPanel”, bundled with DisplayCAL.
    There are other display types but these are the most common ones. IDNK whcih type is Cintiq 24″, take a look on specs.

Thanks so much for your reply.

Imac screen is LCD GB type

Cintiq pro 24 screen is LCD RGB type

So my settings for the wacom cintiq pro 24 Calibration process would be this? Are settings correct? If any is incorrect please tell me i will adjust first

Thx

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

AFAIK there are no GB-LED macs, if it is a P3 mac use the one I said.

RGBLED is not used anymore, it was expensive and had some drawbacks  (HP dreamcolor Lp2480 ) so it’s very unlikely to be that one. Use GB-LED or WLED PFS from HP Z24x. Which one is better?… P3 coverage may shed light.

Also I explained previusly what may happen if you use that profile configuration (XYZLUT), so it’s up to you.

GINK0SAN
    Participant

AFAIK there are no GB-LED macs, if it is a P3 mac use the one I said.

RGBLED is not used anymore, it was expensive and had some drawbacks  (HP dreamcolor Lp2480 ) so it’s very unlikely to be that one. Use GB-LED or WLED PFS from HP Z24x. Which one is better?… P3 coverage may shed light.

Also I explained previusly what may happen if you use that profile configuration (XYZLUT), so it’s up to you.

Sorry i am not very expert and not fully understanding what are you saying 🙂 my bad

Could you tell me the exact configuration i have to choose starting with the cintiq pro, regarding to the screenshot i uploaded? So i can change, set and start the correct calibration

Regarding wacom rgb led i found this https://www.reddit.com/r/wacom/comments/895aof/cintiq_pro_24_what_led_backlight_for_color/
    Thanks You 🙂

Vincent
    Participant

Regarding configuration D65, 2.2 gamma, medium os slow, profile single curve+matrix+black point compensation (default settings since you are in a Mac)
    For colorimeter corrections I’ve already explained it:

-for P3 LED Macs use bundled WLED PFS for P3 mac (MacBookProRetina2016.ccss)

Xrite’s i1Profiler do not bundle graphic arts WLED PFS correction, so if that comment is true it’s just an patch. Same happens with AUOptronics QLED with AdobeRGB coverage. i1profiler and other apps use that correctio because they do not bundle a better one.  DisplayCAL has more corrections available. Plot them using DisplayCAL and you’ll see the big difference in red channel between AUO QLED, WLED PFS AdoberGB 99% and RGBLED.
    It’s extremely unlikely that it uses RGBLED backlight, since it is not used anymore. A well behaved i1displaypro may be relatively inmune up to 2dE (perhaps it’s mostly a delta a* error in white point) if you choose one of the three I named here, but it is unknown unless you see an actual spectral distribution of that display. P3 coverage of the Cintiq after profiling may shed light on this matter.

GINK0SAN
    Participant

Regarding configuration D65, 2.2 gamma, medium os slow, profile single curve+matrix+black point compensation (default settings since you are in a Mac)

Okay

For colorimeter corrections I’ve already explained it:

Which is the best i should use? I do mostly web illustration, design, mcomics, and also magazine cover and poster. But i also print this stuff. thoose are refering to srgb, adobe rgb, p3 color space?? if yes, which i have to pick?

Mostly is correct to set up d65 as white point? Is not better to use d50? And why? Thanks for your info are very precious

GINK0SAN
    Participant

Up please 🙂

Vincent
    Participant

Which is the best i should use? I do mostly web illustration, design, mcomics, and also magazine cover and poster. But i also print this stuff. thoose are refering to srgb, adobe rgb, p3 color space?? if yes, which i have to pick?

It is not related to what you do with your computer, it depends on display technology. That’s why I wrote a list:
    “If my display is XXXX then use correction YYYY”

Mostly is correct to set up d65 as white point? Is not better to use d50? And why? Thanks for your info are very precious

Your iMac white point is going to be corrected in GPU LUTs. If we assume a slighly colder native white than D65, D50 is far away. That means loosing a significant amount of unique grey levels (blue channel is going to be limited by a huge margin). Depending on GPU, driver & app it may look bad when showing gradients.

So D65 is the easy approach. As I wrote, after you are able to get desired results in D65, try D50 if you want.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Vincent.

GINK0SAN
    Participant

It is not related to what you do with your computer, it depends on display technology. That’s why I wrote a list:

Your iMac white point is going to be corrected in GPU LUTs. If we assume a slighly colder native white than D65, D50 is far away. That means loosing a significant amount of unique grey levels (blue channel is going to be limited by a huge margin). Depending on GPU, driver & app it may look bad when showing gradients.

So D65 is the easy approach. As I wrote, after you are able to get desired results in D65, try D50 if you want.

So the Imac is the 21.5 inch 4k retina model and accordingly to everymac website ”
    This model MNDY2LL/A has a 21.5″ 4096×2304 LED-backlit 16:9 widescreen IPS DCI-P3 “Retina 4K” display (that runs “pixel doubled” to look like 2048×1152).”.

So i have to choose WLED PFS (Dreamcolor?) Am i correct? Could you confirm?

Since im not to expert also with Photoshop color management, how should i work in the setting profile? Adobe Rgb or srgb working profile? Ihave also this doubt you have more experience and knowledge im sure you can clarify me this i have no clue 🙂

For white point ill do as you said 🙂

Vincent
    Participant

So the Imac is the 21.5 inch 4k retina model and accordingly to everymac website ”
    This model has a 21.5″ 4096×2304 LED-backlit 16:9 widescreen IPS DCI-P3 “Retina 4K” display (that runs “pixel doubled” to look like 2048×1152).”.

So i have to choose WLED PFS (Dreamcolor?) Am i correct? Could you confirm?

I wrote it!

-for P3 LED Macs use bundled WLED PFS for P3 mac (MacBookProRetina2016.ccss)

For Cintiq if there is no knwo spectral power distribution, P3 coverage may shed light: GB-LED, WLED PFS (AdobeRGB) or AUO QLED.

Since im not to expert also with Photoshop color management, how should i work in the setting profile? Adobe Rgb or srgb working profile? Ihave also this doubt you have more experience and knowledge im sure you can clarify me this i have no clue ????

PS color management config is default setup about how to handle images that do not have an embeded profile (colorspace). Most untagged images (images without profile) usually are sRGB. Very common in a lot of internet JPGs
    This is a default configuration. If you configure Photoshop to ask when you want, it does not matter.

So as an example:
    Default RGB = sRGB
    RGB rules = keep embeded profiles
    profile mismatch: Ask when opening FALSE
    profile missing; Ask when opening = TRUE
    Default config for all the others

This config allows you to work in AdobeRGB or eciRGBv2 whenever you want and at the same time suggest sRGB profile for untagged images (but when opening you can choose whatever you want).

GINK0SAN
    Participant

Okay vincent! So this is my configuration for the Imac calibration, is all ok? 🙂

Attachments:

GINK0SAN
    Participant

Ive done as you saw in the post before, and i attach the result with the measurement to test “ISO 12646 2008 color accuracy and gray baòance”

Attachments:

Vincent
    Participant

If you want D50… use D50. If you want D65, use D65 as calibration white point target. That configuration is up to user.

There is something you need to understand: correcting white point in GPU is done limiting one or more channels max output. That means that brightness is going to drop  from your starting value when you calibrate. The further target white is, the more it will drop. Same applies to unique grey levels.
    That expains 80% grey levels and 60cd/m2 in your results.
    Do you want that? OK.
    No? Use other target (D65) because imacs are not a suitable screens for that, like any other “laptop” (they are just big laptops).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS