If your display device has a setting for input levels?

Home Forums Help and Support If your display device has a setting for input levels?

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by Ben.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Jeffry7
    Participant

Hi folks,

I installed DisplayCAL and connected a SpyderX and after the first measurement I got a pop-up box explaining that RGB levels from 0 to 16 where clipping to zero.

The suggested course of action is to check if my display device has a setting for input levels. Where do i even look for this? Is it in the monitor’s settings that you access through the monitor controls. (i.e., having nothing to do with the OS, but rather the physical controls on the monitor.) Or is this a setting in the OS. (Windows 11 in my case.)

For what it is worth, this is a Samsung S27C570. I doubt it has anything fancy.

Thanks!

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Ben
    Participant

Picture then move to hdmi black level.   Low or Normal.    I  hope this the right model  Manuals & Software | Official Samsung Support US  .     You could set Windows to limited rgb or ycbcr 4:4:4 mode .   I dont see a 4 4 4 mode in the manual so RGB is better and it is a monitor I think.

Ben
    Participant

I forgot you may do a visual check if 1 to 16 is visible.  http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php   .    Many ways to test black level.

Jeffry7
    Participant

Hi Ben,

Imagine reading the manual helping! The monitor was set to low rather than normal. Normal allowed DispCAL to complete without the clipping.

I had run this the first time by allowing the DispCAL to set the Video Game LUT. Do I need to undo this?

Thank you for looking this up and letting me know!

Ben
    Participant

Run a verification report and see what Delta E is on color.    A LUT is only effecting whitebalance.   Getting the measurement device accurate is the 1st step.   Then you pick your profile perimeters.   Setup monitor close to the profile wanted in hardware calibration.   Run a  displaycal calibration to make a color profile.  Then you verify if the profile is working and passes eyes tests and chart tests.  Verification report using simulation profile rec 709 .  Using simulation profile  as display profile unchecked shows what uncolored managed apps are and with it checked shows how  the display profile fixes it for color managed apps.

Your monitor has a lots of controls.   The 50 page manual.    The color controls will effect the screen in hardware.  The color profile is only used by color aware apps in windows 10.  The lut is used to balance the white and make gamma right.   The lut is loaded and stays in the video card and works on all apps.

Not sure what you did the 1st time.  It won’t hurt if you do not undo this.   You can undo and do it over.    You do need a video lut with a color profile.    It could be linear you have good hardware gamma or displaycal will make it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS