I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Home Forums General Discussion I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 326 total)
  • Author

SirMaster
    Participant

Basically to get an accurate color profile for your monitor; as I have yet to still use this tool. Since the mess on Windows, one has to do alot of switching profiles between programs just to get accurate results.

The question is, what if DMWLUT development would stop in a year; as with DisplayCAL after many years development has ended, although I know someone has picked it up and resumed development.  Has it been thought of to include DMWLUT into DisplayCAL or ArgyllCMS ?

I don’t really seen why DisplayCAL needs updates for Windows any time soon.  It’s just a GUI for ArgllCMS and on Windows using the old Python is not a problem as it’s all built into the build and just works.

DWMLUT potentially needs updates as Windows changes the DWM but there is no reason DWMLUT has anything to do with DisplayCAL or ArgyllCMS.

If the DWMLUT developer stops updating it, well it’s open source on GitHub.  Either someone else will fork it and fix it, or if nobody does, I am sure you could pay a developer (who is knowledgeable about Windows and maybe the DWM) on a freelance website to write a fix for you.

Raj S
    Participant

That means we need the ArgyllCMS updater in DisplayCAL to be automatic (which it’s not). Because right now, it uses an older version of Argyll. Florian has to manually sign the new Argyll executables so that you can install the driver without the “unverified” warning coming up.

This should honestly be Graeme’s (from Argyll’s) job and DCAL should just grab the latest from the Argyll website. That way it would be fully automatic.

Christopher
    Participant

I’m trying to update DisplayCAL with the most recent version of ArgyIICMS as written in this thread. Although; DisplayCAL doesn’t recognize the instrument as it did before updating ArgyIICMS ?

Raj S
    Participant

I’m trying to update DisplayCAL with the most recent version of ArgyIICMS as written in this thread. Although; DisplayCAL doesn’t recognize the instrument as it did before updating ArgyIICMS ?

Maybe its giving the error because it can’t detect the ArgyllCMS executables?

Here’s the instructions again:

1. Download ArgyllCMS latest version
    2. Extract the .zip to a location of your choice
    3. In DisplayCAL, press [File > Locate ArgyllCMS executables…] and select the “bin” folder inside the “Argyll_vX.X.X” folder you extracted

If you need to revert back to the old version, you’ll find those files stored in “%APPDATA%\DisplayCAL\dl” (paste that into the address bar)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Raj S.

Christopher
    Participant

Maybe its giving the error because it can’t detect the ArgyllCMS executables?

Here’s the instructions again:

1. Download ArgyllCMS latest version
    2. Extract the .zip to a location of your choice
    3. In DisplayCAL, press [File > Locate ArgyllCMS executables…] and select the “bin” folder inside the “Argyll_vX.X.X” folder you extracted

If you need to revert back to the old version, you’ll find those files stored in “%APPDATA%\DisplayCAL\dl” (paste that into the address bar)

It works using the latest release of ArgyIICMS; it was some glitch related to the calibrator hardware. ????

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Christopher.

Christopher
    Participant

How do I get this tool to make a profile a linear (gamut 1.8) as well as a gamut 2.2 curve profile then place then as one of my monitor user modes ?

Raj S
    Participant

How do I get this tool to make a profile a linear (gamut 1.8) as well as a gamut 2.2 curve profile then place then as one of my monitor user modes ?

Firstly, you need to generate a DisplayCAL profile like normal, or select an existing one from the “Settings” list.

Now go into the 3D LUT tab. Make sure [Options > Enable 3D LUT tab] and [Options > Show advanced options] are ticked.

Untick the box “Create 3D LUT after profiling” and it will use the existing profile. Set the file format to “Iridas (.cube)”. Make sure input and output encoding are “Full range RGB 0-255” and resolution is “65x65x65”.

The rest is up to you. You can generate LUTs for both gamma 1.8 and gamma 2.2. Just make sure the tone curve is set to “relative”.

• “Black output offset” means whether it’ll lift the blacks. Keep it on 100% for the most faithful reproduction, or 0% for boosted blacks.
    • “Rendering intent” is how it maps the colours in the 3DLUT. “Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling” is the most accurate but it may clip colours not in your monitor’s gamut (for example, reds may look orange on older LED monitors with this). “Perceptual appearance” scales the target gamut to your monitor’s gamut for best overall appearance.
    • “Apply calibration” means whether the VCGT grayscale correction will be embedded in the 3DLUT. Keep it ticked. This option is only for people who use DWM_LUT for colours and ICC profiles for grayscale (not recommended).
    • “Gamut mapping mode” – I changed this to “PCS-to-device” because it produces less artifacts near black on badly behaving monitors.

Now open DWM_LUT, select the .cube file for your monitor (saved in “%APPDATA\DisplayCAL\storage”) and press Apply. You can also schedule DWM_LUT to run on startup with the Task Scheduler. Check the thread to see if someone else has already posted the instructions.

Also make sure your Windows display colour profile is set to sRGB. Or else there will be double calibrations being applied.

Hope this helps.

Christopher
    Participant

Firstly, you need to generate a DisplayCAL profile like normal, or select an existing one from the “Settings” list.

Now go into the 3D LUT tab. Make sure [Options > Enable 3D LUT tab] and [Options > Show advanced options] are ticked.

Untick the box “Create 3D LUT after profiling” and it will use the existing profile. Set the file format to “Iridas (.cube)”. Make sure input and output encoding are “Full range RGB 0-255” and resolution is “65x65x65”.

The rest is up to you. You can generate LUTs for both gamma 1.8 and gamma 2.2. Just make sure the tone curve is set to “relative”.

• “Black output offset” means whether it’ll lift the blacks. Keep it on 100% for the most faithful reproduction, or 0% for boosted blacks.
    • “Rendering intent” is how it maps the colours in the 3DLUT. “Absolute colorimetric with white point scaling” is the most accurate but it may clip colours not in your monitor’s gamut (for example, reds may look orange on older LED monitors with this). “Perceptual appearance” scales the target gamut to your monitor’s gamut for best overall appearance.
    • “Apply calibration” means whether the VCGT grayscale correction will be embedded in the 3DLUT. Keep it ticked. This option is only for people who use DWM_LUT for colours and ICC profiles for grayscale (not recommended).
    • “Gamut mapping mode” – I changed this to “PCS-to-device” because it produces less artifacts near black on badly behaving monitors.

Now open DWM_LUT, select the .cube file for your monitor (saved in “%APPDATA\DisplayCAL\storage”) and press Apply. You can also schedule DWM_LUT to run on startup with the Task Scheduler. Check the thread to see if someone else has already posted the instructions.

Also make sure your Windows display colour profile is set to sRGB. Or else there will be double calibrations being applied.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for this in-depth information on DisplayCAL, it explained alot of the options. The only thing that I was not able to set was PCS-to-device, it remains greyed out ?

I would have to find out how I can take the 3D LUT and set it internally within my monitors hardware so I could simple switch between it with the OSD. Although not sure if that will be straight forward.  DisplayCAL is doing all the work, by creating the correct 3D LUT, this tool which was created is as mentioned just applying it to the Windows environment.

I think I read that Windows11 has resolved this issue ?

Raj S
    Participant

I would have to find out how I can take the 3D LUT and set it internally within my monitors hardware so I could simple switch between it with the OSD. Although not sure if that will be straight forward.  DisplayCAL is doing all the work, by creating the correct 3D LUT, this tool which was created is as mentioned just applying it to the Windows environment.

This really depends on your monitor.

Only the expensive studio monitors support hardware 3D LUT. Usually they have their own proprietary software for uploading them. Sometimes there’s third party tools available. If all else fails, paid software CalMAN or ColourSpace should support them – usually the manufacturers give them exclusive access.

UPDATE: I looked through your posts and you have an ASUS ProArt PA329C. Try downloading “ASUS ProArt Calibration software” and seeing if there’s a way to upload the 3D LUT in there. Let us know what happens.

OrangeColaJuice
    Participant

“Gamut mapping mode” – I changed this to “PCS-to-device” because it produces less artifacts near black on badly behaving monitors.

This is some very good advice. It’s better to do it properly from the start. Personally I have wasted a lot of time with MPV trying to figure out why I had such messed up colors and some artifacts in the shadows.
    “Enhance effective resolution of colorimetric PCS-to-device table” have this on.

Vincent
    Participant

UPDATE: I looked through your posts and you have an ASUS ProArt PA329C. Try downloading “ASUS ProArt Calibration software” and seeing if there’s a way to upload the 3D LUT in there. Let us know what happens.

AFAIK you’ll need a 3rd party tool to manually upload a precomputed LUT3D like Lightillusion solutions and only for supported HW.
    The exception is the Eizo CG-X models using ColorNavigator LUT3D uploading as explained in Eizo Asia Pacific tutorials in their web.
    In the past Dell offered an SDK to upload lut-matrix-lut HW calibrations, like LeDoge’s “novideo_sRGB” tool fro simulation colorspaces, but latest versions have bene crippled down and LUT3D uploading funcionality has been removed (current Dell HW cal software for new models is based on Calman … and you know)

Also if you want to calculate a calibration using Asus software they lakced of spectral corrections for their displays and i1d3 colorimeter and their configuration options were limited to a few presets.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

EP98
    Participant

How do I properly calibrate for HDR?

SDR calibration works fine. And works fine when I upload the lut to DWM_LUT GUI. And measures accurately.

But when I try HDR it measured not accurate.

For HDR I want to create a profile to hard clip beyond my panels capabilties to preserve HDR accurately. My display can hit up to 940 nits.

For calibration I activated Windows HDR. Then I put SDR peak white slider to 100% in windows display settings. Because without that I only get 120 nits.

Everything was as measured. And 3D LUT tab to hard clip, bt.2020.

But it measures not accurate, profile creation gets screwed up. I put my tv’s tone mapping off.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by EP98.

Vincent
    Participant

But when I try HDR it measured not accurate.

It is expected if patches in REC2020 PQ are out of gamut in your display. Since you do not show it we cannot know.

EP98
    Participant

That might be it. So create a lut in P3 D65 then

Vincent
    Participant

That might be it. So create a lut in P3 D65 then

HDR content is expected to be encoded in Rec2020 PQ, hence LUT3D should be that way.

Just happens that your display does not cover that colorspace at 100%… and there is no issue with that. Just check that in gamut colors are fine.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 326 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS