I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Home Forums General Discussion I made a tool for applying 3D LUTs to the Windows desktop

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 326 total)
  • Author

dr04e606
    Participant

Guys, I need your help.

I am a complete noob when it comes to using DisplayCAL and creating 3D LUTs, so, please, bear with me.

I have a monitor that has a somewhat wider gamut (gamut volume 122.6% of sRGB). I don’t have any measuring device right now, but I have an ICC profile for this monitor that was created for sRGB and which provides a very good accuracy (according to the measuring data from the person that created it with i1Display Pro Plus and to my visual perception). Monitor white point is adjusted to D6500 with monitor OSD settings (R=100, G=99, B=99) and not the ICC.

What I’m trying to achieve right now is to create a 3D LUT for DwmLutGUI from this ICC profile that will effectively clamp this monitor’s gamut to sRGB system-wide. The computer that I will be using it on has an Intel GPU, so I can’t use Novideo_sRGB which worked very well with this monitor on another computer. I know that this can seem a bit ridiculous as I won’t be able to verify the accuracy of created 3D LUT with any measuring device…  I just want to make sure that I’m applying the right settings while creating it in 3DLUT-maker (with your help).

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by dr04e606.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by dr04e606.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Plus HL on Amazon   Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

dr04e606
    Participant

I can’t edit my previous posting anymore for some reason…

Here’s an ICC profile that I’m using for LUT creation. I’ll leave it here just i case.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

You can’t and you shouldn’t. Even if your sRGB mode has thr same colorimetric response as that other person’s monitor… sRGB mode has not the same response as custom/user mode even in the same monitor.

Use DWMLUT with destination colorspace equal to driver ICC / EDID ICC.

if you wish to test your WRONG approach:
    -extract VCGT from that other person ICC into a cal file woth DispalyCAL curve viewer or profile info or something like that into a .CAL file
    -embed .cal data with ArgyllCMS command line intoa copy of driver/EDID ICC (applycal.exe or other tool, read documentation)
    -use that profile in LUT3D creator with embed VCGT
    -aply that LUT3D to DWMLUT

Vincent
    Participant

iccvcgt.exe tool

dr04e606
    Participant

Thanks for the reply!

Use DWMLUT with destination colorspace equal to driver ICC / EDID ICC.

Should I be using the same settings in 3DLUT-maker as before (see the screenshot above) and only change the destination profile from the custom one (created with i1Display Pro Plus) to the generic one (driver ICC)?

dr04e606
    Participant

Apparently, this monitor doesn’t have drivers (and ICC profile). I can’t find anything like that nither on the manufacturer’s website nor in the box. I guess I need to learn how to generate an ICC profile from EDID data. If it’s possible at all.

Interestingly enough when I set gamma to 2.2 I get a much more consistent and visually pleasing picture in darker areas, as opposed to applying black output offset (100%) which makes the first 15 patches look greyish and lack distinct variation between them. Whereas 2.2 results in gradual steps from absolute black to very dark grey.

Overall, so far, I’m very pleased with the color output that DWM LUT provides with these settings (even though they might be wrong according to Vincent). I never saw a “calibrated” monitor with such smooth gradients.

Performance impact in games is huge though. In Trackmania Nations Forever with LUT applied I get around 120 fps with inconsistent frametime (slight stuttering), whereas without it I get over 200 fps and a much more consistent frametime.

MW
    Participant

Interestingly enough when I set gamma to 2.2 I get a much more consistent and visually pleasing picture in darker areas, as opposed to applying black output offset (100%)

The difference is that the 2nd setting uses sRGB TRC which a lot of users find washed out. Both are using BOO 100%.

It’s not worth paying too much attention to the Lagom black test. It’s basically flawed and you can rightfully put more value in how you perceive real content.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Do we still need displaycal profile loader when using dwmlut?

Vincent
    Participant

He is not using as destination colorspace actual display colorspace (a profile from measurements) … hence all his complains comes from guessing a lot of things and manipulating source colorspace TRC instead of trying different sinthetic profiles with different TRCs as destination that would match actual display behavior.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Vincent.

Vincent
    Participant

@dr04e606 : profile from EDID data (trusting it to be accurate) can be generated from File menu, create profile from Extended Display Information Data.

S Simeonov
    Participant

He is not using as destination colorspace actual display colorspace (a profile from measurements) … hence all his complains comes from guessing a lot of things and manipulating source colorspace TRC instead of trying different sinthetic profiles with different TRCs as destination that would match actual display behavior.

So, do we need it or not?

Vincent
    Participant

So, do we need it or not?

Both.

Did you embed VCGT in LUT3D calculation?  yes => no loader, no => use loader

Since in his example it has a (wrong) VCGT he want to try, he can test the 2 ways.
    For the 1st one he would need to embed that VCGT into a synth/EDID profile with native gamut primaries he can use as destination colorspace.
    For the 2nd one Photoshop & color managed apps won’t work properly if he uses an ICC made for sRGB mode on a native gamut OSD configuration.

calibrovkin nikola
    Participant

@Vincent , Hello. With the latest windows 11 update, the dwmlut program stopped working. Lut does not work.  Thanks

Vincent
    Participant

@Vincent , Hello. With the latest windows 11 update, the dwmlut program stopped working. Lut does not work.  Thanks

Ask LeDoge/DogeLition, DWMLUT is his work.

Also check latest release

https://github.com/ledoge/dwm_lut

Christopher
    Participant

Basically to get an accurate color profile for your monitor; as I have yet to still use this tool. Since the mess on Windows, one has to do alot of switching profiles between programs just to get accurate results.

The question is, what if DMWLUT development would stop in a year; as with DisplayCAL after many years development has ended, although I know someone has picked it up and resumed development.  Has it been thought of to include DMWLUT into DisplayCAL or ArgyllCMS ?

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 326 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS