How to read a Uniformity Check report?

Home Forums Help and Support How to read a Uniformity Check report?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Thomasin
    Participant

I recently discovered the  device uniformity test and tried it for the first time. It was just a quick 5×5 grid test to see how it worked so I’m not super sure about the results, but all and all, all parts of screen passed the test. However that’s pretty much the only thing I understand about it, so can someone help me to decipher it? Does something stand out in the report?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

It shows color distance from a cell in that grid to central cell. A 5×5 report is more useful, I would try to re do it in 5×5.

By default DisplayCAL shows dE distance, let’s call it “absolute distance weighted for humans” and it takes account color distance (white moved towards green or pink on sides) and luminace distance in just one number.
    That distance in dE could be evaluated against very restrictive uniformity criteria (ISO) that non premium widegamuts will find difficult to meet and that criteria rendered in GREEN-YELLOW-RED warning colors.

Usually users are more interested in evaluating pink or green tints on screen sides (which unfortunately are VERY common in cheap widegamuts) without caring too much for brightness drops on sides… so “dE” is not that useful.
    A way to evaluate this is “dC” like in your screenshot, a way to put numerically how strong the color is the color tint on sides that you see.
    I would like to see all cells in that grid bellow 2dC but your mileage may vary. It is difficult to find a low cost monitor meeting that <2dC criteria.

If your monitor has some “uniformity compensation” feature in OSD you can try to enable it. It may improve uniformity but contrast will drop. I’ve said “may” beacuse some low cost models just fixes brightness uniformity keeping color tints equal or worse (that “dC”).

In the end you’ll have to choose if you want to return that unit because you think that is bad:

-PASS/NO PASS objective criteria like ISO for some professionals

-visual (& subjective) appraisal of color tints + deltaC uniformity report.

If you want to get a PASS in the first kind of criteria for sure, you did not choose a good manufacturer: go for an Eizo or a NEC like CS2730 or PA272W/PA271Q. They will cost about 300-400 euro more than your model and have much more functionality than just “good uniformity”.

If you just want a good enough unit then you need to subjectively evaluate how bad are those tints in left side and center-right side and if it’s worth to invest an extra about 300 euro to solve them (and get a good “hardware” calibration software and other functionality at the same time)

• This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Vincent. Reason: typo
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Vincent.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 8 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS